“Bland and noisy but comparatively cheap”
Review of Hotel Filoxenia

Hotel Filoxenia
Ranked #31 of 50 Hotels in Trieste
Dortmund, Germany
“Bland and noisy but comparatively cheap”
Reviewed 18 January 2007

I stayed here with my family for two nights in early January. We usually stay at the Jolly, which is an excellent hotel, but this time we wanted to try something cheaper and closer to the shopping streets that were our destination. So we booked this only 3-star hotel right in downtown Trieste which has budget prices compared to other hotels in its vicinity. It is also the newest, located in an old building right across from the harbor and was obviously heavily renovated. We were very satisfied with the location, but the hotel left something to be desired.

First off, the elevator is so small - the three of us with little baggage could hardly fit into it, although the sign read that six people could fit in - yeah, right. There were also problems with the call button for the elevator, which took some time figuring out - you have to press it and keep holding the button until the elevator actually arrives. We were on the third floor (it's a small hotel with about 30 rooms in all) and when we exited the elevator for the first time, the stairway and corridor leading to the rooms looked and felt like some fire escape corridor, with bare walls and fixtures staring out at you. There are only three rooms per floor, two adjacent and one on the opposite side of the narrow hall. The hall is lit on sensor, meaning that there's no manual light switch, so that when you exit the elevator you have to stumble in the darkness before the light sensor is activated. This can be tricky as the floor is uneven, with one step you can easily miss in the dark.

We were in one of the two adjacent rooms, which proved to be a bit of a problem at night: not only could we hear conversations from the next room (as I imagine they could hear ours), but one night our neighbours made quite a lot of noise when they came in around midnight, banging the wall and laughing. But they quieted down after a few minutes so we didn't complain.

Our room was very small and cramped - we took a double room with extra bed overlooking the street (I think all rooms are on the street side), which is quite noisy during the day and remains so throughout the night, as there is a bus line and a bus stop right in front of the entrance to the hotel, and the bus runs during the night as well, so you can imagine the level of noise it produces.

The extra bed that I slept on was placed right along the wall separating the two adjacent rooms, and since it was so small I felt pressed against the cold wall, and I banged my elbow on the wall a hundred times turning around in bed. I don't know how our neighbours felt about that.

The furnishings were very bland and unimaginative, with a tacky picture on the wall. (The whole hotel is done on a Greek theme (hence the name) so these awful pictures on mythological themes are scattered throughout it.) The prevailing color is blue, I guess they were going for a maritime feel. They couldn't even be bothered to put carpets on the floor, not even in the bathroom. The wardrobe closet was small and precariously perched on top of a small chest drawer, so that every time I opened it I felt it might come down on top of me as it wobbled. The bathroom was surprisingly and unneccessarily big - given that the room was so cramped, but it was the only satisfactory part of the room, since it was clean and spacious.

Breakfast was exactly the same each morning with not much of a choice in food and drink - croissants, bread, butter and jam, cornflakes, yoghurt, and coffee with milk, all of which was good. The only complaint here were the unmanagable coffee and milk jugs/flasks, from which you couldn't pour liquid without getting quite a lot of it on the tray and surrounding utensils. The staff were constantly mopping the area up as nobody could avoid spilling liquid.

All in all, we didn't feel the hotel deserved all of its stars, with only the location and room prices as redeeming factors. It's ok for a very short stay and if you're travelling in two, but I wouldn't recommend it in ayn other combination.

Stayed January 2007
4 Thank ana_era

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 July 2005

I was in Trieste in the evening of 21 June 05 on the occasion of DURAN-DURAN concert and I was housed in this hotel, very close to “Unità d’Italia” square.
The very low price, his central position and kindness of his staff make this hotel a good solution for those who take part in these public musical events in Trieste.

• Stayed June 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 8 April 2005

This hotel is clean enough, but extremely basic and overpriced. Don't be fooled by the photo on the website - although the building is near the waterfront, many rooms face a busy, noisy road. The rooms are a bit like rooms in a youth hostel - not very cosy or pleasant. Our bed didn't even have a cover on it, just a scratchy blanket (and the pillows were flat). For breakfast we were given some crappy rolls and cold cappuccino by a surly woman. Needless to say, we found a better hotel that day and moved. I feel the three-star rating is somewhat erroneous.

9 Thank kerryv

Travellers are raving about these Trieste hotels