“Great hotel in the middle of the Friuli region”

Astoria Hotel Italia
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Udine
Reviewed 3 July 2013 via mobile

We chose this hotel as our base for our first outing to the Friuli region after reading about it in an article and seeing the great reviews on tripadvisor and booking.com.

We opted for a larger room and were not disappointed. The well appointed bedroom would have been a bit small on its own, but with the addition of a living/sitting room it was very comfortable.

We loved Udine and spent one night sitting out on a piazza having drinks and later dinner. There was good shopping, but in a incidental sort of way. While exploring the beautiful historic part of the city, you couldn't help noticing nice shops as well.

We had a rental car and drove around quite a lot, focusing on the areas around Cividale and San Daniele. The San Daniele ham is a must and you don't have to be a gourmet to come away dreaming of having a Berkel slicer and a good ham at home. In Cividale we had some of the best tagliata with porcini you could imagine.

Overall our three day trip was fantastic and the hotel a perfect base. Many others have commented on the helpfulness of the reception staff, which we can only reiterate. Especially Annalisa made us feel at home and well looked after, but her colleagues were equally attentive and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed 2 July 2013

Astoria is a great find in Udine. I've spent a couple of nights in the Astoria hotel on a business trip. I've really enjoyed my stay, the hotel is in an excellent location. The staff were friendly, kind and very helpful providing excellent customer service. I highly recommend the Astoria, it is great value, has comfortable beds and offers wonderful hospitality. On my departure I've left my jumper behind and before even I've realised, they've called and had arranged to send it after me to the UK. Gianni was particularly helpful in arranging this with my assistant. I will certainly stay there again!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I do not think I have given a hotel a higher review. I am an experienced traveller (over 35 years) and the location, service, standard of accommodation were all first-rate. I hope to return later this year.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank wavetree
Reviewed 9 March 2013

Pleasant service, great location, good breakfast, garage in hotel. Plenty of space. I have been here often, I shall be back.
Perhaps the indications in the roads in central Udine indicating the way towards the hotel could be more ample, as it is not easy to find driving - at least if you do not have a good up to date navigation system in your car.

The business friends organized a dinner in the hotel restaurant and it was excellent, both the set up and food & wine.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 March 2013

hi

I had a business trip in udine city –Italy and I spent all the period in Astoria hotel the best hotel in Udine. I really enjoyed my staying there since its located in the Udine historical heart center surrounded by lot of shops, restaurants and high class location. Every day when I came back from my work there I find my relaxation in the hotel and enjoying the walking in the surrounding area. Astoria has an excellent staff friendly , kind and very helpful they let me feel that I am between my family. Also they have a professional management who take care about the guests satisfaction. Additional to that the hotel restaurant is an excellent restaurant and there you will find the real tasty Italian meals very tasty all the thanks for the Astoria hotel chef. Astoria is really the best hotel in Udine city.

Room Tip: my room was in the front and it was excellent room
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 February 2013

The bottom line first - if you have reason to go to Udine, you can do no wrong in choosing the Astoria Italia.
First of all, the condition is excellent - clean, refurbished, well maintained, stylish and comfortable. Right from the start you feel at home. Checking in, you present your passport or ID, but no need to show a credit card and have a reserve put against it. "When you check out", they politely said. Secondly, my Italian is quite poor, yet at no time did the desk staff try to switch me to English or Spanish, but rather listened and replied in Italian and we easily understood each other.
So many other details that make the stay - for example, one evening I decided on room service so I could finish some work. Called down, placed the order, a short wait and the meal had arrived. When the young lady put the tray down, I asked for the check to sign and she said "no need to bother, the captain has added it to your room bill". For the included breakfast, which was excellent (the eggs were farm fresh, and they must have a trick to make the scrambled eggs so moist and delicious), the same woman attended the service each morning. By the second morning, she knew I would ask for an expresso macchiato first and then an american coffee. Just great service. I needed a taxi reserved for a 5am departure to the Trieste airport, and that was done without problem. When I checked out (I was the only one in the lobby besides the desk clerk), he asked if I wanted a coffee while I waited for the taxi and he went back to the kitchen and brought me an expresso - no charge, or course.
Details. Like plates of apples all through the lobby. A quick, healthy snack.
The restaurant at the hotel was also excellent. Regional specialties or simply pasta dishes, meats, etc. - well worth one meal at least.
The room - well, I took photos and they're attached. Granted, I paid for a standard room and they gave me (without asking) an upgrade to a suite, but still even the standard rooms have to be this quality, even if smaller. I had #122, which overlooked the plaza - where every morning vendors set up to sell fresh fruits and veggies and other items. Great local touch.
Bathroom was excellent as well. Water pressure is my big thing and there was great pressure, instant hot water and the heated towels were appreciated as well. One complaint: the shower stall was small and the folding door forces you to stand in the corner as you open and close it. Still, adequate. And the water handle appeared to have been mounted upside-down, so to get hot water you had to move it to the right and not the left. And that's the worst I can say about this hotel!!
I paid 126 euro/night (pretty much $100) and I can't remember getting so much for so little.

Room Tip: There are two elevators (4 floors) so even an upper floor is not a problem.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 February 2013

A nice city hotel with all the necessary amenities, in the style of the beginning of the 20th century. Large lobby, several restaurant rooms, but no bar: there are enough within walking distance.
The rooms are nicely decorated, quite oldish, but with some taste. The bathrooms are small, but really well furbished.
Free wifi in the lobby and the rooms, just don't forget to ask for the code.

Room Tip: Ask for street side rooms, the inner part doesn't look nice at all.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends