“Good hotel in downtown Udine - challenge for the Navigation to find”

Astoria Hotel Italia
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Udine
Vancouver, Canada
“Good hotel in downtown Udine - challenge for the Navigation to find”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We stayed here one night as a stop over.

We like to stay in the centre part of new towns we visit, it gives us an opportunity to get a good view of the place - both driving into and leaving the town as well as the option to do some walking around in the heart of the place.

The price for this strategy in Europe is trying to navigate through narrow and sometimes limited access streets. This process can be either entertaining or stressful - sometimes both at the same time.

Getting to the Astoria drove our rental car navigation system almost completely insane but it was worth the effort. The hotel is situated right on the main piazza and it was nice to shop in the open market in the piazza as well as to stroll around the town.

The hotel is older but with modern plumbing and a sense of some elegance - the bathroom in our suite was quite nice. Ventilation system worked well for us and a decent breakfast is served.

Hallway noise was a bit of an issue in the morning with slamming doors and general sounds of people moving about. This can be a common issue in older hotels with large echoing hallways and high ceilings.

Room Tip: We had a jr suite which allowed a separate seating area, table and chairs. This would be convenient...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Hungarian first
Tokyo
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We(me and my wife) have stayed for two nights from 5th July, '13. The main objectives were to visit unique cities such as Palmanova(octagonal shape), Cittadella(medieval walled town), Villa Manin(The last Doge's palazzo), etc. incuding the beatiful renaisance city, Udine.
First of all, I dare to say this hotel is in incredibly good quality vs its price, i.e. both the reception lady and the man were kind enough to respond to my curious questions anout 5 tipical Friulano restaurants at Udine, etc. He has even prepared the ranking list for me. The room was clean and quite quiet(our room was No.206) without any noises like air-conditioning. This is because it is Japanese air-conditioning. The price per night was only 99 Euros. I can't help but admit that this hotel is one of the best-value 4-starred hotels in Italy in the light of my experiences of ca. 300 stays in that country. Also, the hotel is conveniently situated in the center of Udine, ca. 10 minutes walk from Udine station. Another thing about restaurant. Despite the receptionist's suggestion on the restaurant offering the tipical Friuri cuisine, we have chosen the hotel's restaurant because the menu seemed to be tipical Friurano. In fact, the dish of Lumache(snails) and Funghi(mushroom) was really tasty and we could feel terra's taste. If we would have an opportunity, we would come back. July 2013 from Tokyo, Japan

Room Tip: If finding a hotel with quality service, tranquility and good location at Udine, this Astoria Hotel...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 3 July 2013 via mobile

We chose this hotel as our base for our first outing to the Friuli region after reading about it in an article and seeing the great reviews on tripadvisor and booking.com.

We opted for a larger room and were not disappointed. The well appointed bedroom would have been a bit small on its own, but with the addition of a living/sitting room it was very comfortable.

We loved Udine and spent one night sitting out on a piazza having drinks and later dinner. There was good shopping, but in a incidental sort of way. While exploring the beautiful historic part of the city, you couldn't help noticing nice shops as well.

We had a rental car and drove around quite a lot, focusing on the areas around Cividale and San Daniele. The San Daniele ham is a must and you don't have to be a gourmet to come away dreaming of having a Berkel slicer and a good ham at home. In Cividale we had some of the best tagliata with porcini you could imagine.

Overall our three day trip was fantastic and the hotel a perfect base. Many others have commented on the helpfulness of the reception staff, which we can only reiterate. Especially Annalisa made us feel at home and well looked after, but her colleagues were equally attentive and helpful.

• Stayed July 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Astoria is a great find in Udine. I've spent a couple of nights in the Astoria hotel on a business trip. I've really enjoyed my stay, the hotel is in an excellent location. The staff were friendly, kind and very helpful providing excellent customer service. I highly recommend the Astoria, it is great value, has comfortable beds and offers wonderful hospitality. On my departure I've left my jumper behind and before even I've realised, they've called and had arranged to send it after me to the UK. Gianni was particularly helpful in arranging this with my assistant. I will certainly stay there again!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I do not think I have given a hotel a higher review. I am an experienced traveller (over 35 years) and the location, service, standard of accommodation were all first-rate. I hope to return later this year.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed 9 March 2013 via mobile

Pleasant service, great location, good breakfast, garage in hotel. Plenty of space. I have been here often, I shall be back.
Perhaps the indications in the roads in central Udine indicating the way towards the hotel could be more ample, as it is not easy to find driving - at least if you do not have a good up to date navigation system in your car.

The business friends organized a dinner in the hotel restaurant and it was excellent, both the set up and food & wine.

Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Jubail, Ash Sharqiyah, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 1 March 2013

hi

I had a business trip in udine city –Italy and I spent all the period in Astoria hotel the best hotel in Udine. I really enjoyed my staying there since its located in the Udine historical heart center surrounded by lot of shops, restaurants and high class location. Every day when I came back from my work there I find my relaxation in the hotel and enjoying the walking in the surrounding area. Astoria has an excellent staff friendly , kind and very helpful they let me feel that I am between my family. Also they have a professional management who take care about the guests satisfaction. Additional to that the hotel restaurant is an excellent restaurant and there you will find the real tasty Italian meals very tasty all the thanks for the Astoria hotel chef. Astoria is really the best hotel in Udine city.

Room Tip: my room was in the front and it was excellent room
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business