Best Western Hotel La' Di Moret
US$90
US$185
Very Good 4/5
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsswimming poolexcellent breakfastnice hotelbusiness hotelkind stafffree parkingtwo nightscomfortable bedsspawellnesscentreacconference
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Everything about this hotel and restaurant is pleasantly eccentric. The decor. The layout. The breakfast...let's start with breakfast.

This is a spa and wellness hotel. So the breakfast buffet reflects it. You will find vitamins on the buffet. Their muffins are steamed in mason jars rather than baked, and come in many varieties including a "herbal purifying muffin". You scoop honey straight from the comb. A plain croissant is labelled as "empty". It's a little heavy on the baked goods and light on the full-English breakfast style stuff, but the wide selection of trad Friulian cakes makes up for it. By the way, you can have dessert for breakfast, too--the buffet includes the likes of a creme brûlée.

The restaurant, though, is where the lovable oddness of the place really takes off. The family who owns the hotel support every kind of programme that celebrates regional and seasonal Italian food. They're part of the Unione Buoon Ricordo, which means that if you order the local special main course, you'll be given a souvenir ceramic plate to take home. (I did. The dish was a rabbit croquette, and it was great). But my husband got he piece de resistance. He ordered the steak tartare and it arrived on a glass box containing hay. Earphones were attached, and the soundtrack to accompany his meal played cowbells and mooing. A splendid bit of theatre.

But one item busts the La di Moret from a five star to a four. When my husband and I checked in, we needed to be very firm with the desk staff. Yes, we we're two men in the same room. Yes, we booked a double bed. No, we don't want to change rooms. The desk clerk consulted with her colleague who asked us the same questions over again. They looked distinctly uncomfortable, and if we had not been a long-married gay couple who are unselfconscious about such things, they would embarrassed us.

I know that Italy does not share the same commitment to gay rights that the rest of Europe does. But this is the 2014. I'm happy to discuss these matters with La di Moret staff on our next visit--staff who were, otherwise, welcoming and gracious.

The place used to be in the countryside, bout now a neighborhood of shopping malls, big-box stores and offices has grown around it. But the grounds are big enough for you to lose yourself in them.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GlobalTraveller21
edo862, Manager at Best Western Hotel La' Di Moret, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear Globaltraveller21,

thank you very much for the very nice words you wrote for us!
We are pleased that your stay here was good and we really like our description as "Wonderfully eccentric" :)

We are very sorry for embarassing you: it wasn't our intention and we wanted just to make sure (maybe too much sure...) that you had the best accomodation for you!
We promise you that next time you will be visiting us, you won't need to be firm and the front desk staff will no longer look unconfortable! we will be friendly and happy to discuss with you this matters.

We really hope to wecoming you again here in Udine,
Our best regards
Front desk Staff & Managment

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Udine is not known for its tourist trade so I wasn't expecting much from a Best Western. I had the totally wrong idea about Best Western - in Australia they are generally motels not hotels. However, La Di Moret was a hotel of quite high standards. The staff were all very friendly and did their best to assist with any request. The restaurant is unbelievable. The food is Michelin Star standard - presentation was fantastic and the flavours exactly right. Breakfast was a delight, three different choices: A 'Wellness' breakfast full of healthy food, a continental breakfast with all the beautiful croissants, brioche and yoghurt and then a full English with eggs and pancetta (instead of bacon) and other hot foods.
The room charges were good, there was free wi fi and a Wellness Centre and gym.
The hotel was about ten minutes out from the historic centre of Udine, about 15 euro in a cab. The only thing wrong with the hotel was its location, dead centre of an industrial area but as most of their business is with those businesses I can't real complain about that. I would definitely stay there again, in fact I'm looking forward to it.

Room Tip: Just ask reception, they are very helpful. I found the first floor most convenient. There's no noise at night and there are no views so going higher is not necessarily better.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We were very tired after a 33 hr ferry journey from Greece.all of the staff could not have been more helpful and managed to get us in to the first available room at 8.30am which was wonderful.The breakfasts were fantastic with a great selection.The hotel is on the outskirts of town but it would have been easy to get there but we were too tired. Good local restaurant nearby and the hotel restaurant has a very good reputation.would definitely stay there again

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I've been there for a few days and had a great relaxing time at the spa.The hotel is located very close to the town center so it was easy to get there.
The staff at the front desk was very nice and ready to satisfy my requests.
I'll come back for sure.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I was many times in the hotel,because I always went to the Messe to Pordenone.The rooms and everybody was really nice.But what is really amazing the restaurant:)If somebody wants to eat an excellent risotto,please try here.I think its the best in Italy:)

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business