“A nice hotel, but air conditioning was not available when needed”
Review of Ambassador Palace

Ambassador Palace
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Udine
Reviewed 6 May 2014

With one major exception, our three-night stay at this beautiful hotel was delightful. The location is perfect, about halfway between the train station and center of town. The kind people at the front desk are very professional and helpful. The breakfast was way above our expectations and you also have the option of requesting an omelette or eggs in any style. Our room was large and clean with a very comfortable mattress. The only negative (and if not for this I would have rated this hotel with five stars) was the climate control in the room. During our visit to Udine in the first week of May, the daytime outdoor temperatures hovered in the high 70's F (mid 20's C) and at the end of the day our room became uncomfortably hot. Yet when I asked at the front desk how to operate the air conditioning I was told it was not yet available in the hotel until later in the season. The front desk clerk was very kind and checked her thermostat controls to tell me our room had a temperature of 26 degrees C (79 F). She said since the week before the night time temperature in Udine had fallen to the single digits it was too early to activate the AC in the hotel. She gave me the impression there was a city law that prevented the hotel from activating the AC until later in the season. Among the amenities listed on the hotel's website is AIR CONDITIONING and you would think this would be made available to clients at their option as needed. We tried leaving the window open at night but there were some loudly cawing birds (crows?) that kept us awake. Based on our experience I would not recommend staying in this hotel in late spring. Conversely, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a similar policy of not turning on the HEAT until later in the winter, so I probably wouldn't recommend staying here in late autumn either. It's really a shame this hotel has this policy, since otherwise it offers good value and fine amenities.

Room Tip: Best not to stay here in late spring due to the hotel's policy of not activating the AC until la...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Mascalzone

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Being just a short walk from the centre of Udine and its beautiful square this hotel is ideally placed for exploring the old city. The staff were very welcoming and extremely helpful and the room was comfortable and well equipped. The restaurant was also very good and garage parking was another plus. We loved Udine and if we ever get the chance to return would definitely stay again at the Ambassador Palace.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Carole F
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Udine is on the way between Vienna and Milano so it happens already twice to stay here for one night. Good rooms (but sometimes noisy from corridor), ordinary and the freshest breakfast, small and attractive park just in front, greeting personnel. Enjoy!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 January 2014

This hotel felt very luxurious and classy for the price. Lovely room with lots of nice amenities, overlooked the street and park. Short walk into the main part of town and very close to the train station. Staff gave good restaurant recommendations. Breakfast was very nice. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MeggSydney
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Hotel is in central Location, very Close to City Center. It is a mixed structure- old and new.Our room was good of medium european size. Room decoration was nice and stylish in a classical way. Bed was good. Bathroom is smallish but fully equipped. Breakfast- different from what we read here- was a bit on the downside. Coffee only in huge Containers, really not good. Rolls . maybe on sunday- was soft and without any taste.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank tucano
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We stayed here for one night and it was fabulous! Rooms clean, kind staff, decent beds although a bit hard, great breakfast.. everything you need. The hotel was right in the vicinity of most restaurants and the city center of Udine. Definitely a 4-star hotel!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 November 2013

As always… it’s a great hotel and become my favorite in town. I’m repeating the same places in Udine that I always like to be in that beautiful town; including this hotel that I think is the best in town: Convenient, close to train station, close to bus station, close to historic places, nice breakfast, great attitude with very friendly and attentive staff. I had an excellent spacious room with balcony where I can kept my door open to get fresh air… the windows and doors allow me to control my temperature in the absence of AC because from October 1 the AC in Italy don’t work at any hotel. The only negative point is that they do not provide Ironing board and iron; you must have to use their laundry services for ironing your clothing. Far as I understood, it’s a Hotel Policy and not the law, because other hotels have ironing boards in their rooms.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business