“Great hostel in quietest part if cinque terra”

Ostello di Corniglia
Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

This is a great small hostel in Cornigila, probably the quietest town in Cinque Terre. Showers were good and each bed came with a locker/closet. One of the receptionists acted as if you we're bothering him whenever you asked him something, though.

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed 11 July 2013

Positives: included locker and keys in room. There is a play ground from an elementary school outside that was enjoyable with my friends while we were waiting to go somewhere for 15 minutes.

Otherwise, not a great place. If you are just looking for a no nonsense place to sleep this is fine. But don't expect a nice or friendly atmosphere here. The staff is not nice. I saw 3 different people working over the course of being there and they were simply not nice. Upon arriving at 12:45 pm, we were not allowed to even use the bathroom (which was literally 10 feet down the hall and in sight of us). We wanted to leave our bags there until checking in at 3pm, and we essentially had to leave our bags outside on the backside and hope they didn't get stolen.

Breakfast not included, and you have to sign up the night before if you want it. You cannot use the kitchen that is right there, or the refrigerator that is right there either.
You're not allowed in the rooms early afternoon.

Also, I wouldn't recommend staying in Corniglia that much either. It's the only town not really on the coast, which means its up in the hills, which means you have to take a shuttle or climb about 400 steps up to the town from the train stations. The "town" was miniscule as well. I'd maybe recommend stopping in the town for a nice lunch and some nice views between hiking through, but that's all.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 May 2013 via mobile

This hostel is very close to where the bus drops you which brings you up from the Corniglia train station. I arrived with my boyfriend and I think we ordered a private double or twin and when we arrived we found we were in bunk beds!
The hostel is very clean (almost clinical) and there is free wi fi. The guy at reception wasn't that friendly but he was fine. He asked us to give in the key each time we went out which was a bit odd!
It's a short walk into the rest of Corniglia from the hostel (5/10 mins) which is a very lovely quiet town with gorgeous viewpoints. (After dark we also saw fireflies!)
The staff let us keep our bags at the hostel after check out time while we went out for breakfast which was useful.
Overall beautiful town and an OK place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 27 April 2013 via mobile

I wouldn't stay there again. As hostels go it wasn't too bad. The thing that annoyed me was the constant lock outs (being asked to get up and leave when you are trying to sleep late on holiday is very annoying!).
There are also a lot of rules- I know customer service is different in Italy- but it seemed like the staffs convenience was more important than the guests.

Also, Corniglia is the least impressive town in Cinque Terra, and the most difficult to get to- with about 90 steps to climb!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 19 April 2013

After I checked out in the morning, I left my backpack at the hostel and went hiking. When I returned to retrieve it later in the afternoon, I asked if I could use the toilet and fill my water bottle before departing. I was abruptly refused by the woman in charge, even though she was quite aware that I was a departing guest. When I attempted to change her mind, she made a rude hand gesture to me and stormed away. It seems pretty lame to refuse the use of a toilet to a departing guest, but it is really inexcusable to turn away anyone requesting water. This is too bad because the young man working the desk the previous evening was quite accommodating. However the conduct of the woman who refused me water leaves me to rate this hostel poorly.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Dave L
Reviewed 15 August 2012 via mobile

First of all Corniglia is the least impressive town in Cinque Terre. I would recommend any of the other towns. When I first arrived at the hostel I was greatest by a lady watering the plants. I was carrying two heavy backpacks in 35 degree weather, she shouted No check in till after 3pm. I replied yes I know and thankyou for the warm welcome, I just leave my bags here. The area to leave your bags is right next to the front doors a floor bellow reception, it is not locked or safe at all. You get locked out of the hostel from 1 ~ 3pm and you are charged for wifi. The aircon was broken when I was there also. The stage seemed like they had severe depression and were not the most helpful people, usually when I check in to a hostel they will give you a map talk about the area and list places to go see etc. in this case it was sign and here is your key.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Clean hostel, located in the center of the village which is a bit hard to reach if you are not in a good shape. Staff speaks little English, so it is not very easy to communicate. Nice quiet village overall. We had to pay for wifi, but a very small amount.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corniglia
Hostel Cinque Terre
#11 of 13 in Corniglia
Corte del Gallo
Corte del Gallo
#2 of 15 in Corniglia

Been to Ostello di Corniglia? Share your experiences!