“Not friendly, too many rules!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ostello di Corniglia

Ostello di Corniglia
“Not friendly, too many rules!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

Staff are very unfriendly, lock you out of your room during the day and if you don't arrive back before 1:30am you are locked out till 7:30am. Very rude people. We stayed here on a day that was pouring down and we had already had lunch but they demanded we be locked out between 1:00pm-3:00pm and we had no where to go as it was rainy heavily. They do not care about there guests only themselves. Would never stay here again!!!!

• Stayed September 2013

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Greek first
Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

This place was clean and quiet and had fantastic locker space. But don't expect too much else. Staff isn't friendly and there are too many rules. Lockout half the morning and part of the afternoon, which wasn't a big deal because we were out exploring but I was still irritated at the fact that I was paying for a place to stay that would have happily kicked me out for 4 or 5 hours a day. And it kinda made me laugh that they gave us keys to the lockers but demanded that we turn those keys in to the front desk when we leave.....what's the point in locking things up if we have to surrender the keys to someone else?
While this place is harder to get to (bus or 800 stairs), I liked that about it. Corniglia is the sleepiest of the 5Terre and that made for a very nice stay in that town.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank stupy219
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

This is a great small hostel in Cornigila, probably the quietest town in Cinque Terre. Showers were good and each bed came with a locker/closet. One of the receptionists acted as if you we're bothering him whenever you asked him something, though.

• Stayed July 2013
Pasadena, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

Positives: included locker and keys in room. There is a play ground from an elementary school outside that was enjoyable with my friends while we were waiting to go somewhere for 15 minutes.

Otherwise, not a great place. If you are just looking for a no nonsense place to sleep this is fine. But don't expect a nice or friendly atmosphere here. The staff is not nice. I saw 3 different people working over the course of being there and they were simply not nice. Upon arriving at 12:45 pm, we were not allowed to even use the bathroom (which was literally 10 feet down the hall and in sight of us). We wanted to leave our bags there until checking in at 3pm, and we essentially had to leave our bags outside on the backside and hope they didn't get stolen.

Breakfast not included, and you have to sign up the night before if you want it. You cannot use the kitchen that is right there, or the refrigerator that is right there either.
You're not allowed in the rooms early afternoon.

Also, I wouldn't recommend staying in Corniglia that much either. It's the only town not really on the coast, which means its up in the hills, which means you have to take a shuttle or climb about 400 steps up to the town from the train stations. The "town" was miniscule as well. I'd maybe recommend stopping in the town for a nice lunch and some nice views between hiking through, but that's all.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Corniglia hotels

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2013 via mobile

This hostel is very close to where the bus drops you which brings you up from the Corniglia train station. I arrived with my boyfriend and I think we ordered a private double or twin and when we arrived we found we were in bunk beds!
The hostel is very clean (almost clinical) and there is free wi fi. The guy at reception wasn't that friendly but he was fine. He asked us to give in the key each time we went out which was a bit odd!
It's a short walk into the rest of Corniglia from the hostel (5/10 mins) which is a very lovely quiet town with gorgeous viewpoints. (After dark we also saw fireflies!)
The staff let us keep our bags at the hostel after check out time while we went out for breakfast which was useful.
Overall beautiful town and an OK place to stay.

• Stayed May 2013
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013 via mobile

I wouldn't stay there again. As hostels go it wasn't too bad. The thing that annoyed me was the constant lock outs (being asked to get up and leave when you are trying to sleep late on holiday is very annoying!).
There are also a lot of rules- I know customer service is different in Italy- but it seemed like the staffs convenience was more important than the guests.

Also, Corniglia is the least impressive town in Cinque Terra, and the most difficult to get to- with about 90 steps to climb!

• Stayed October 2012
Saskatoon, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2013

After I checked out in the morning, I left my backpack at the hostel and went hiking. When I returned to retrieve it later in the afternoon, I asked if I could use the toilet and fill my water bottle before departing. I was abruptly refused by the woman in charge, even though she was quite aware that I was a departing guest. When I attempted to change her mind, she made a rude hand gesture to me and stormed away. It seems pretty lame to refuse the use of a toilet to a departing guest, but it is really inexcusable to turn away anyone requesting water. This is too bad because the young man working the desk the previous evening was quite accommodating. However the conduct of the woman who refused me water leaves me to rate this hostel poorly.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Dave L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corniglia
Luna di Marzo
#2 of 18 in Vernazza
B&B da Beppe
B&B da Beppe
#11 of 13 in Corniglia

Been to Ostello di Corniglia? Share your experiences!