“Amazing little church”

Cinque Terre Day Trip from Milan
Ranked #2 of 8 things to do in Corniglia
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: This elegant Gothic church was erected in 1334 on the ruins of an older structure.
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We so enjoyed visiting this beautiful church when we stayed in Corniglia. It was literally outside our window and we could hear the beautiful church bells every hour, including the "Ave Maria" at 7 a.m. The church was built in the 16th century and is kept very pristine. We attended Mass for Corpus Christi Sunday and we were able to participate in a procession through the town with the blessed Sacrament. The Fiore festival was beautiful with flower petals covering the steps and streets of the procession. We enjoyed the interior of the church. It is very small and easy to view in 30 minutes or less. Weddings were taking place on summer weekends as well!

3  Thank waileagirl

Reviewed 16 June 2014

It is a small village church, similar to the others in the Cinque Terre village. Its age (it's a respectable XIV-century building, after all) and the frescoes make it special. Maybe it's because, in order to get to it you have to, literally, elevate yourself by climbing that pesky stairway from the station, or descend the uneven steep path at the back of the village.

Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

This church seems to be made only by rocks, great decoration inside since it looks like a cave and the beta of allllll tourists are not attracted to it so you spend some time and enjoy being away of those noisy tourists that crowd the streets of this small little wonderful town.

1  Thank bryanmantezoni
Reviewed 18 May 2014

A word to my fellow travelers...you can not go in every church in Italy...BUT- if you happen to visit a very remote town with just one church...you really should go in. I let my imagination play in these spaces. Think of the families...generations....that had birth to death within it's walls. The uneducated that felt validated and sanctified therein. A visit to these churches puts my life in perspective. And I'm not even religious.

2  Thank Beachnimbus
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I was visiting all the towns of Cinque Terre and when I got to Corniglia this church was very visible from the drop off point - I walked up to explore and the inside is just beautiful - the paintings are incredibly detailed - beautiful.