“Charming Da Cecio”
Review of Da Cecio

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Corniglia
Da Cecio
Ranked #10 of 13 Corniglia B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 January 2008

While on a girls trip to Italy, we made time to see some rural Italy in between visits to Milan and Florence. Cinque Terre was hands down, the highlight of the trip. We booked it directly, made friends ahead of time over the phone, and couldn't have found more gracious hosts. Our small but sufficient room was above the kitchen and overlooked the terraced vineyards and olive groves that grow in the almost vertical terrain that tumbles into the sea. Getting up to the room was interesting. No comfortable walkway for our nifty wheeled luggage to glide over. We just clambered up some makeshift rocks that were meant to make do as stairs along side the kitchen, into the hotel section of the building and up to our second floor room. The room wouldn't be a key reason to book here. It was small but clean, as was the bathroom. The hot water was a bit meager for the needs of three women, but in all, the accomodations met our needs as we spent very little time in our room. The town is the smallest of the five villages and very low key. There are some small shops and a terrific wine bistro (only two small tables and two stools) where the shop keepers will ply you with plenty of wine knowledge while they offer tastings of their wares. While a there was another restaurant in town and a few other places to grab food, the best food was at Da Cecio's own restaurant. Everything was fresh and prepared to order. The host often made suggestions for us and we were never disappointed. We ate dinner there both nights of our stay. The Cinque Terre trail entrance was right in front of the building and we walked to Vernazza (totally postcard gorgeous) and then continued on to Monterosso. The trail was rigorous but very beautiful. From Monterosso, we caught the ferry to Riomaggiore, then walked the much flatter and wider path back through Manarole up to Corniglia. The final killer was the 350 stairs from the the trail end at the Corniglia train station up to the town proper. When we first arrived, we were a bit concerned that the town would be too sleepy for us, but having stayed there for a few days, I'd book there again. Word of caution if you are bringing a car. The town is so small that parking is by resident permit only. Your car will need to be parked just outside the town boundaries or it will be ticketed. The up side is that the visitor parking is jsut beyond the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled with friends
2  Thank lpa25

Reviewed 7 November 2007

We stayed at the Ristorante Pensione Cecio for 1 night. We had room #2 with a fairly nice view. The price for the room with a double bed and 2 small children's beds was 100 euros. "Not bad" I originally thought to myself. Well, in this case, as the old adage goes,"you get what you pay for." The bathroom was filthy. Mildew was all around the showerhead and in the shower stall. The plastic shower door was broken and had been taped together. The toilet roll holder was broken and had been carefully placed in its slot so that the next unknowing user who pulled on the toilet paper roll would have a runaway roll of toilet paper. Floors were filthy with a small blood stain on one of the tiles. Mattress was lumpy and had a permanent deep depression on the left side. Hot water heater worked that night but the next morning for some reason unknown to us, there was no hot water. We had to take cold showers. When we asked for a hairdryer, one of the staff begrudgingly gave us one but it did not have an adaptor for the electrical outlet. Thus, there was no way it could work. We had to ask for an adaptor too. The grand finale came the next morning when we woke up to find spots and streaks of blood all over the white sheets we had slept on. We saw bed bugs, some of them nice and fat from sucking our blood throughout the night, crawling all over the beds. I even found one embedded in my nursing breast pad (still alive!). We were so disgusted and horrified we quickly left the hotel. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank Langthang6
Reviewed 10 June 2007

Da Cecio has TWO buildings...be aware that one of the buildings is right below the town clock tower and will chime loudly. Would likely give a higher review if hadn't booked at last second in high season and had to stay in the second building. Very basic room, but quite a value. Disagree completely.w/prior review..staff were AMAZING...did everything possible. Even drove to Vernazza to deliver a passport we left.

2  Thank neruda11
Reviewed 29 May 2007

We stayed at Da Cecio 4 nights in the early part of May. It was the best deal we found for 60 Euros a night. The room was small and had a strong smell of mold which seems prevalent in the older buildings. The bathroom was small, and the hot and cold water on the shower dial was mixed up. I managed to give myself a pretty good scalding as escape from the tiny shower was impossible due to the inward opening doors. The bed was not the best,.and I thought it might break every time I turned over. We were not given new towels during our stay, but the trash was emptied was daily. All that being said, the staff were friendly enoughtand the view was lovley. We enjoyed staying in a quieter part of Cinque Terre, and Corniglia's lack of night life appealed to us. We liked the hotell's restaurant on the terrace , and the food was nice if a little over priced. We did the hikes between all 5 towns, and it was beautiful. I have wanted to go to Cinque Terre for years, and I am glad I was able to see it. I was a little disappointed in it though due to all the tourism, and I wish I would have went when I was younger. I doubt I will return to Cinque Terre, but I would stay here again if I did. If you are planning to hike through Cinque Terre, be wary of the poision ivy. I got a nasty case and the local pharmacy kept insisting it was a sunburn. If y ou are allergic to the stuff, make sure to take some zanafel or cortisone with you as it is is going to be pain to get the right kind of medication there. Also, make sure to try Bar Matteo. Their home made pastries are divine in the morning.

3  Thank mistbrown
Reviewed 28 May 2007

We stayed here in May 2007 for 60 euro, after I emailed different CQ hotels/hostels and found everything booked. We enjoyed our stay here though the restaurant staff that checked us in were none too friendly. It wasn't that they were rude, but brisk and not really smiling. They did not give us a receipt at the end when we paid until we asked. Kind of fishy.

At the same time, the room was fine - it was in the main hotel next to the restaurant. Although we did not have a sea view (I think rooms 3 and 6, which I asked for via email, though were occupied when we arrived), we did have a view of the belltower and honey flowers and lemons from next door - smelled awesome, and the view from the rooftop was incredible. There was even a small clothesline up there that we used to dry some clothes we washed, which was great.

I'd probably not stay here again because of the staff - I think they know they are the 10th choice and will get visitors like me and don't have to put out any effort - and go for something maybe in Monterosso. I did like, though, that Cornegila was so small and apart - Rick Steves says its "for anarchists, mountaingoats . . . " Be warned of the 350+ steps from the train station. And, I didn't even realize there is actual main town till the last night, we were so intent on getting to other towns for dinner and for our walks.

I would recommend staying here if you can't find alternate reservations, want to ensure you have a reservation v. showing up and finding a place while there (they honored my res. - 2 nights), can spend 60 euro, are up front with the staff, stay in the main hotel, and want to be on your own Cinque Terre island, above the tourist fray.

And don't forget to experience Guvano Beach - not for the faint of heart, but awesome for those who like spooky train tunnels and swimming and seeing nude & semi nude people in glimmering blue water.

3  Thank briansensei
Reviewed 11 July 2006

I had heard so much about the Cinque Terre over the years but, unfortunately, our visit there last week was less than impressive. One of the negatives was the Pensione Ristorante Cecio in Corniglia. We booked two rooms there months in advance of our stay (confirmed with a credit card) and when we arrived they had trouble finding the reservation. The unsmiling host eventually led us out of the hotel, down the road and up the stairs to nondescript rooms in a building in the center of the village. The rooms were bland and had a heavy mildew smell in the tiny bathrooms. The extra bed in the triple room was circa WWI - our daughter had to put the mattress on the floor to sleep. We are experienced travelers and realized there are always one or two places on a trip that don't meet up with expectations. We figured we didn't have many options at that point either- it was already 7pm. What we didn't realize, however, was that these rooms were situated right under two bell towers and the bells ring every hour (and once every half hour) all night long! None of us slept and we were all exhausted in the morning. Perhaps the rooms in the main hotel are better but the unfriendly atmosphere and tired looking building didn't look very promising. The Cinque Terre towns all feel like they've had tourism thrust upon them and aren't really very happy about it. If we were to do it again, we'd stay out of the area (we had great accommodations, food and experiences in the Garfagnana region nearby) and drive for the day to the Cinque Terre. In fact, I'd skip the Cinque Terre altogether in the summer - it was incredibly crowded, expensive and a hot, sweaty tourist scene. We hiked to Vernazza from Corniglia - the trail was very dusty and dry with lots of litter. The best thing we did was rent a boat and cruise the coast line for a few hours. The brief respite from the tourists on shore was very welcome and the water was fabulous for swimming.

• Stayed: July 2006
15  Thank Woodrose
Reviewed 15 June 2006

We stayed at Da Cecio in Corniglia. Corniglia is the best place to stay
in the Cinque Terre IF you want some quiet from the hordes of tourists.
The restaurants, including the one at Da Cecio, were excellent and
reasonably priced. The hotel itself was clean, quiet, and with a great
view. We stayed on the 2nd floor of the main building. I did hear some
negative things from those who did not stay in the main building. The
breakfast is at another location in town and was okay - capuccino and
croissants. There are other accomodations in town but look to be a few rooms
here and there and not in a hotel. Visit the wine bar just up the road
from the hotel towards the town. The woman working there is an
excellent source of knowledge and very friendly.

8  Thank kcinders