“A Total Rip Off - Do Not Stay Here” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Da Cecio

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Corniglia
Da Cecio
Ranked #8 of 13 Corniglia B&B and Inns
Excelsior, Minnesota
“A Total Rip Off - Do Not Stay Here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2008

We were registered to stay here, but our travel plans changed, so we tried to cancel. We called within 48 hours ahead of our scheduled arrival. At first we were told "okay," but then whomever answered the phone went off the line, presumably to talk to the owner. Then she came back and said "oh no, cancellation is, too late, we will have to charge you - which they did. I asked how they could get away with this, and they said our cancellation policy is 7 days prior - and it is in your resevervation correspondence." We never got any correspondence. Then they said, "it is listed on our website." I defy you to find this place's website. After an argument ensued in which they got very threatening and rude - just that is reason enough to stay away from this place - we agreed to disagree. They charged us, and we are disputing through our credit card company.

Stay away, these people are unprofessional, and will try to rip you off.

• Disliked — Rude and unprofessional behavior of the owners
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2008

We have just returned from a visit to Corniglia, staying at Cecio for 4 nights. Bearing in mind I made the booking in January, I was a little surprised there was a "problem with our room" which smelled of a double-booking to me. So, for our first night we were placed in a room across the square. This had a shower that I could barely squeeze through the door into (and I am only slightly pregnant!), the tray filled up if you put the water on fast enough to actually shower with. And, the walls were PAPER thin. So much so, when the 4 or 5 occupants of the room next door returned at 2am I was treated to the sounds of them using the toilet and showering as if they were in the room with us!!
We did get into our room in the main building the next night, and I was happy with that, but when we came to leave I tried to make the point that I was not prepared to pay 70 euros for taht night as the room was of a far lower standard. The girl (waitress/translator) summoned the owner and explained. I was then treated to what I can only decribe as a tirade in Italian. She just kept shouting at me. I asked the girl to ask her to stop shouting as at no point had I raised my voice, bur she just carried on. In the end (blame the homones) I ended up in tears, with a measly 10 euros knocked off the price.
I was vey disappointed witht his end to my holiday, and I would not stay in Corniglia again in case I inadvertently put another cent in this rude woman's pocket.

• Liked — views
  • Disliked — rude owner
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2008

While on a girls trip to Italy, we made time to see some rural Italy in between visits to Milan and Florence. Cinque Terre was hands down, the highlight of the trip. We booked it directly, made friends ahead of time over the phone, and couldn't have found more gracious hosts. Our small but sufficient room was above the kitchen and overlooked the terraced vineyards and olive groves that grow in the almost vertical terrain that tumbles into the sea. Getting up to the room was interesting. No comfortable walkway for our nifty wheeled luggage to glide over. We just clambered up some makeshift rocks that were meant to make do as stairs along side the kitchen, into the hotel section of the building and up to our second floor room. The room wouldn't be a key reason to book here. It was small but clean, as was the bathroom. The hot water was a bit meager for the needs of three women, but in all, the accomodations met our needs as we spent very little time in our room. The town is the smallest of the five villages and very low key. There are some small shops and a terrific wine bistro (only two small tables and two stools) where the shop keepers will ply you with plenty of wine knowledge while they offer tastings of their wares. While a there was another restaurant in town and a few other places to grab food, the best food was at Da Cecio's own restaurant. Everything was fresh and prepared to order. The host often made suggestions for us and we were never disappointed. We ate dinner there both nights of our stay. The Cinque Terre trail entrance was right in front of the building and we walked to Vernazza (totally postcard gorgeous) and then continued on to Monterosso. The trail was rigorous but very beautiful. From Monterosso, we caught the ferry to Riomaggiore, then walked the much flatter and wider path back through Manarole up to Corniglia. The final killer was the 350 stairs from the the trail end at the Corniglia train station up to the town proper. When we first arrived, we were a bit concerned that the town would be too sleepy for us, but having stayed there for a few days, I'd book there again. Word of caution if you are bringing a car. The town is so small that parking is by resident permit only. Your car will need to be parked just outside the town boundaries or it will be ticketed. The up side is that the visitor parking is jsut beyond the hotel.

• Liked — quaintness, friendly hosts, good restaurant, stunning views, proximity to trail
  • Disliked — parking issues, needs more hot water
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled with friends
2 Thank lpa25
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2007

We stayed at the Ristorante Pensione Cecio for 1 night. We had room #2 with a fairly nice view. The price for the room with a double bed and 2 small children's beds was 100 euros. "Not bad" I originally thought to myself. Well, in this case, as the old adage goes,"you get what you pay for." The bathroom was filthy. Mildew was all around the showerhead and in the shower stall. The plastic shower door was broken and had been taped together. The toilet roll holder was broken and had been carefully placed in its slot so that the next unknowing user who pulled on the toilet paper roll would have a runaway roll of toilet paper. Floors were filthy with a small blood stain on one of the tiles. Mattress was lumpy and had a permanent deep depression on the left side. Hot water heater worked that night but the next morning for some reason unknown to us, there was no hot water. We had to take cold showers. When we asked for a hairdryer, one of the staff begrudgingly gave us one but it did not have an adaptor for the electrical outlet. Thus, there was no way it could work. We had to ask for an adaptor too. The grand finale came the next morning when we woke up to find spots and streaks of blood all over the white sheets we had slept on. We saw bed bugs, some of them nice and fat from sucking our blood throughout the night, crawling all over the beds. I even found one embedded in my nursing breast pad (still alive!). We were so disgusted and horrified we quickly left the hotel. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Liked — The restaurant attached to the hotel had good pasta dishes
  • Disliked — Serious bed bug infestation
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Corniglia hotels

Poulsbo, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2007

Da Cecio has TWO buildings...be aware that one of the buildings is right below the town clock tower and will chime loudly. Would likely give a higher review if hadn't booked at last second in high season and had to stay in the second building. Very basic room, but quite a value. Disagree completely.w/prior review..staff were AMAZING...did everything possible. Even drove to Vernazza to deliver a passport we left.

• Liked — value
  • Disliked — 2nd buliding right below town clock tower. Loud chimes.
2 Thank neruda11
Kansas City
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2007

We stayed at Da Cecio 4 nights in the early part of May. It was the best deal we found for 60 Euros a night. The room was small and had a strong smell of mold which seems prevalent in the older buildings. The bathroom was small, and the hot and cold water on the shower dial was mixed up. I managed to give myself a pretty good scalding as escape from the tiny shower was impossible due to the inward opening doors. The bed was not the best,.and I thought it might break every time I turned over. We were not given new towels during our stay, but the trash was emptied was daily. All that being said, the staff were friendly enoughtand the view was lovley. We enjoyed staying in a quieter part of Cinque Terre, and Corniglia's lack of night life appealed to us. We liked the hotell's restaurant on the terrace , and the food was nice if a little over priced. We did the hikes between all 5 towns, and it was beautiful. I have wanted to go to Cinque Terre for years, and I am glad I was able to see it. I was a little disappointed in it though due to all the tourism, and I wish I would have went when I was younger. I doubt I will return to Cinque Terre, but I would stay here again if I did. If you are planning to hike through Cinque Terre, be wary of the poision ivy. I got a nasty case and the local pharmacy kept insisting it was a sunburn. If y ou are allergic to the stuff, make sure to take some zanafel or cortisone with you as it is is going to be pain to get the right kind of medication there. Also, make sure to try Bar Matteo. Their home made pastries are divine in the morning.

• Liked — The old fashioned look and the attached terrace restaurant
  • Disliked — The mold and their unwillingness to take a credit card
3 Thank mistbrown
boston, ma
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2007

We stayed here in May 2007 for 60 euro, after I emailed different CQ hotels/hostels and found everything booked. We enjoyed our stay here though the restaurant staff that checked us in were none too friendly. It wasn't that they were rude, but brisk and not really smiling. They did not give us a receipt at the end when we paid until we asked. Kind of fishy.

At the same time, the room was fine - it was in the main hotel next to the restaurant. Although we did not have a sea view (I think rooms 3 and 6, which I asked for via email, though were occupied when we arrived), we did have a view of the belltower and honey flowers and lemons from next door - smelled awesome, and the view from the rooftop was incredible. There was even a small clothesline up there that we used to dry some clothes we washed, which was great.

I'd probably not stay here again because of the staff - I think they know they are the 10th choice and will get visitors like me and don't have to put out any effort - and go for something maybe in Monterosso. I did like, though, that Cornegila was so small and apart - Rick Steves says its "for anarchists, mountaingoats . . . " Be warned of the 350+ steps from the train station. And, I didn't even realize there is actual main town till the last night, we were so intent on getting to other towns for dinner and for our walks.

I would recommend staying here if you can't find alternate reservations, want to ensure you have a reservation v. showing up and finding a place while there (they honored my res. - 2 nights), can spend 60 euro, are up front with the staff, stay in the main hotel, and want to be on your own Cinque Terre island, above the tourist fray.

And don't forget to experience Guvano Beach - not for the faint of heart, but awesome for those who like spooky train tunnels and swimming and seeing nude & semi nude people in glimmering blue water.

• Liked — the price and availablity, away from the crowds
  • Disliked — the staff
3 Thank briansensei
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corniglia
Luna di Marzo
La Posada Ristorante & Camere
Corniglia Dreams
Corniglia Dreams
#12 of 13 in Corniglia

Been to Da Cecio? Share your experiences!