“Great value”

Dining options: Reservations
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great value”
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

3 course tasty meal for £4.95. Couldn't beat it. Great atmosphere and craic from the staff! Would definitely recommend this as a tasty great value Italian.

Scorze, Italy
“An amazing dinner in Corniglia”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I suggest this restaurant even if at the first impact it appeared a normal restaurant; the tables, normal ones, with no decoration, placed in a square of Corniglia and only a few people seated in them wasn't an incentive. Moreover some review were good and other not. But when we ate our first plate, we changed our mind. It was amazing. We ordered the tipical appetizer, with 6 different plate of fish and very well decorated, with colour and roses.You could even smell the taste of the food (i felt the amazing smell of the pasta with Genoese pesto another guest had ordered). The place was costly (as every place in the 5terre), but the money spent had a value. For your knowledge, the bill was 98€ with 2 bottle of water, 1,5 L of local white wine (amazing), two appetizer, two first plate (13-16 € each) and 1 coffee.

• Visited September 2013
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Grumpy Landlady But Food OK”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

The location is pleasant. There didn't seem a great deal of better competition, which is hardly surprising in such a remote location. Having ordered two pasta of the day dishes, we realised that it was the landlady (it is a B&B also) who was the problem. She was very down in the mouth. The young female who served us was more amenable, yet hamstrung by her employer. We expected bad food. It was not so bad. Average in fact. It was not cheap - also average. It is a remote village so comestibles need to be grown locally on the steep hillside terraces or brought in by train. This spells expense and hardship.

Over lunch I wondered what might have come to trouble this community so. My partner listened with some scepticism to my concern. The bill was paid. Not cheap but not robbery either, I felt. I left a tip for the sorrowful staff and removed to a nearby bar for a grappa to warm my heart. Here I got into conversation with an elderly woman. She had some kind of deformation, not that this matters. After buying her a glass or two of some sweet aperitif named Stregga, I was taken into her confidence. The town had gone to pot since real estate prices escalated 4 or 5 years ago. One by one the locals - mainly the men - had got carried away and taken out big loans on their now valuable slum houses. One man went galavanting and whoring in Pattaya and Bangkok. The other men had soon followed him and divorced their wives. Later, having spent most of their fortunes, they returned and shacked up in a bar / lodge which one of them still owned. Some bought young Thai brides with them. The Thai women soon moved on and set up on their own selling dresses and t-shirts. The women of the town - the ex-wives, now had to suffer the indignity of seeing these sleek young women not only more attractive than them but increasingly richer through their ingenuity and opportunism.

Drinking up the the remains of my grappa I returned to the Laterna to sympathetically thank the landlady more warmly and to leave a bigger tip. I recommend other customers show her some charity too.

• Visited August 2013
Turin, Italy
“Better run away!”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

From the tee personal that denies you the access to the bathroom to the expensive and swimming in olive oil dishes I seriously advice you to just pass forward without looking at the menu. Worst "trattoria" I've ever visit after 5 years living in Italy.

• Visited August 2013
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Poor service”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We ate here and were very disappointed. The restaurant was recommended to us, so we went on our first night. It was expensive for what was served. I could have made the pasta at home, it was not very inspired. The waiter was rude and inattentive. Best bet is to grab a pizza and beer from La Gata Flora and find a place to take in the view.

• Visited June 2013