“Could not have asked for a better location!”

Ca' de Capun Camere Franco
Ranked #10 of 17 Manarola B&B and Inns
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Could not have asked for a better location!”
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Unfortunately, we only stayed one night...now we wish we would have stay longer in Manarola and at Ca de Capun. Franco is a wonderful host, lively, and funny. He met us with his homemade limoncino, which was perfect after a day of traveling.
The b&b is conveniently located right after you exit the tunnel. Our room was very comfortable and clean with everything we needed, including a hair dryer. The beds were very comfortable as well.
Franco was nice enough to hold our luggage all morning after we checked out so we could do some more sightseeing. If we come back to Cinque Terre, we will definitely be staying at Franco's!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
cadecapun, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Ca' de Capun Camere Franco, responded to this review, 10 May 2013

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Thai first
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Really enjoyed my stay at Camere Franco. The great location directly opposite the tunnel from the train station cannot be overemphasized. It really minimized the amount of schlepping of bags which would have been necessary at other properties in town. I would definitely recommend accessing the pensione by going around to the left side of the Aristide restaurant (which occupies the same building), instead of through the ground floor of the restaurant; this furthers reduces the number of stair steps you encounter with your luggage.

The center-of-town location of Camere Franco meant that I gave up the possibility of an ocean view, but I did have a nice, little balcony where I could have my breakfast (complimentary coffee/tea-making facilities provided) overlooking the main street, town plaza, and the cute kids playing football. The ground floor café of the Aristide had wonderful breakfast pastries available to go, and the small grocery next door to it made it easy to buy some milk, yogurt and fresh fruit to complete my breakfast requirements.

Franco and his wife Roberta were very friendly and accommodating; the welcome drink of Franco’s homemade lemon liqueur was a great touch! As has been mentioned by others, if you needed anything at all, all you had to do was call out “Franco!”, and he’d be there in a flash.

My room was very large--gigantic by European standards—and very clean and comfortable. The bathroom was also a very nice size, and the shower provided copious amounts of hot water with very good water pressure.

I found Manarola to be the perfect base for exploring the Cinque Terre. It certainly has many of the amazing photogenic qualities which bring visitors to the area. For me, it was kind of a “Goldilocks” town; not too big, not too small, and it was large enough to have some very good restaurant choices. I particularly enjoyed Marina Piccolo, Trattoria Locanda il Porticcolo, and Trattoria La Scogliera. I ran out of time to try some of the other places in town.

As you might imagine, there’s lots of great seafood available, including flash-fried local anchovies. I also had wonderful pasta, pesto, and pizza. I’m told that the pasta called trofie was developed in the area specifically to be served with pesto…

So, TripAdvisor came through for me yet again. Thanks to all the previous reviewers who influenced my decision to choose Camere Franco.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Traveler20190
cadecapun, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Ca' de Capun Camere Franco, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 26 January 2013

Couldn't imagine a better location! Right outside the tunnel to the train station.... And I mean really RIGHT there. Form there it's surrounded by restaurants, cafes, corner stores and it's just a minute or two to the main strip in Manarola. More importantly, Manarola is by far the best village to stay at in Cinque Terre! All the others were either too small with very few restaurant options, or too big and touristy with crowded beaches. We loved swimming by the cliffs, and Franco's place was close enough to walk there in our swimmers.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BoBotheFool
cadecapun, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Ca' de Capun Camere Franco, responded to this review, 5 February 2013
London, UK
Reviewed 15 December 2012

I returned to Franco's guest house for a second stay - this time returning with my parents who were visiting Europe for the first time and who wanted to visit the Cinque Terre region that I had raved about so much after my first visit.

They were blown away with the hotel, the locality, and the view, and we all enjoyed Franco's hospitality and legendary welcome drink.

The guest house is conveniently located being only a few minutes walk from the train station, and the balcony (of the forward facing rooms at least) gives a great "birds eye" view of what is going on in the town if you just want to sit for a while and people watch.

There is a great cafe downstairs (bottom floor of Franco's guesthouse) which is an ideal place for charging yourself with decent coffee and breakfast before a day of exploring.

The town of Manarola is also a good choice for a base from which to explore the other villages of the Cinque Terre. There is a good choice of restaurants for evening dining, an interesting fishing harbour to look down on, and plenty of tiny streets and alleyways to explore if you don't feel lie leaving Manarola.

Franco was very attentive and helpful, and was only ever a friendly shout away ("Franko!!!").

The rooms was clean & tidy, traditionally furnished, equipped with everything we needed, had lots of books on the area to look through, and had a very comfortable feel about them - definitely a guest house rather than a hotel room, and we were sad to be leaving.

A great place to stay and I will be back. Ciao Franko!

PS Please note there is no pool at this guest house, nor are there specific activities for children, however as I don't seem to be able to save this review without putting a rating in for them, I have marked them as "average" in the scoring.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Painter Room (as I had this room on my first visit), which has a double bed in the...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jim_Pain_NZ
cadecapun, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Ca' de Capun Camere Franco, responded to this review, 28 January 2013
Cà de Capun.
Ashkelon, Israel
Reviewed 24 October 2012

We choose Manarola as it sounded picturesque, and Franco's place seemed to be not hard physically to reach and we were right! It is literally opposite the train station but not marked so we wandered around for a while before finding it. It's on top of a restaurant. That means it was noisy in the room by day but by 10pm, the restaurant had closed and silence ruled the streets until the church bells resumed around 7am and the village started waking up.
The room and ensuite bathroom were pleasant, welcoming and spotlessly clean. Only negative thing was that one of our mattresses dipped into a V shape, which meant one of us had an uncomfortable night (all the more unfortunate was that that was me!) . I wanted to tell Franco in the morning (we only stayed one night) but unfortunately we were rushing to catch a train so I hope he reads it here and I'm sure he will fix that because he was a genial man who obviously took a pride in his place.
There are around 30+ steep stairs to climb to reach the property BUT if you walk round the back of the building, far fewer steps, which is especially helpful with suitcases.
Cinque Terre is beautiful and Manarola was like a picture postcard.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LeonieIsrael
cadecapun, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Ca' de Capun Camere Franco, responded to this review, 26 October 2012
Thanks for the review. You are very kind and welcome next time. For the next time the mattresses will be perfect.
Cà de Capun.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 8 October 2012

My husband, myself, my daughter and her husband stayed in Manarola the end of September 2012. We were overjoyed at the location since it was only steps away from the exit tunnel of the train station. Franco met us with little glasses of his homemade limoncino which was fabulous. We each had a room with a balcony. The rooms were spotlessly clean and beautifully furnished. There is a very nice little restaurant downstairs with the absolute best cannoli. We also ate outside in their covered area for dinner one evening which was also very good.
We couldn't have been more pleased and thought it was the best place to stay and an incredible value.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
toronto
Reviewed 13 September 2012

We stayed for 4 nights at pensione Camero Franco in Manarola and loved it. It’s a great deal (the most affordable we found) and perfect place to stay. Great location, just 15 seconds out of the tunnel and there it is, you’ll notice a door on the left from the restaurant with stairs leading up. Franco is a great host and offered us homemade limoncello upon arrival. Franco is not fluent in English (his son is) but he makes up for in with a warm, larger-than-life personality and very accommodating. Total fun. If there are issues simply call out and he will come down.

Our room was spacious room (with fan, just request it) was outfitted with a small refrigerator, kettle and a balcony (facing the street) with seating - perfect for catching some rays, reading or people watching. Very large bathroom, good shower pressure. It was all spotless.

For those who have concerns. Yes, there is some noise from the restaurant below (discount if you eat there), and the recycling bins (was not as noisy as some reviewers have mentioned (not at night and we did not notice the train noise at all day or night). Manarola is probably the most relaxing and quietest of the villages and we loved coming back each day to relax and unwind. And don’t forget to try some amazing food at the restaurants in town. Definitely recommend, it’s a great little place, we loved it and I miss sitting on the balcony. It's been 2 months and I still miss it.... lol.

Travellers from Canada

Room Tip: paypal deposit, remaining cash payment on arrival.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manarola
Albergo Marina
Da Paulin Rooms and apartments
Il Borgo di Campi
Il Borgo di Campi
#7 of 33 in Riomaggiore

Been to Ca' de Capun Camere Franco? Share your experiences!