“Excellent quality”

Ranked #10 of 17 Manarola B&B and Inns
Richmond Hill, Canada
“Excellent quality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

The room quality was great. The location was beautiful. Giovanni was available, helpful and his restaurant recommendation was fantastic. At the time of our visit Giovanni was not done setting up the location, but he went the extra mile to make sure that our luggage is kept safe while we did our touring.

My wife and I plan to go back again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jamil M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Berwyn Heights
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

My wife and I paid 130 Euros/night for two nights in May 2013 for a comfortable, relatively-modern room in Manarola. We paid for the view, and the view is spectacular -- aided by large windows. The room itself is small with the large bed taking up half of it. It has been renovated recently and the bathroom is above average for Italy. The building has four or five rooms owned by Giovanni, a nice guy but someone who gives the impression that running these rooms is a secondary concern. We emailed him in advance of our arrival time, as requested, but had to call repeatedly and wait a considerable time for him to meet us at the door. The rooms are at the top of a climb, and there are lots of steps, but this is Cinque Terre and you can't get high if you don't climb (definitely a town that argues backpack over roller-bag). A plumbing issue in our room required us to spend the first night in the top-floor two bedroom apartment, which was lovely but unfortunately available for only one night, which meant that we had to worry about moving rooms on our one full-day in Cinque Terre. Giovanni also requires that you pay in advance in cash, which makes me nervous (although it was not a problem). We enjoyed our stay and love Manarola, which we would recommend over the other four towns (not as crowded or sprawling, two great restaurants, amazing views, and the vineyard walk is just lovely). All said, I think that the price was high (a sense reinforced by comparing rates with others in Manarola) and the service was mediocre, but we got want we knew we wanted -- a view that defined our visit and lingers strongest in our memories.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

A little mix up on our end when we arrived at Giovanni Rooms on the wrong day but Giovanni met us and got us to the right place, another room in Vernazza. He had great humor about the whole thing. Once we did settle in to the room the following day, we were very pleased and Giovanni is great to work with - very friendly, accessible and helpful. The room itself had a lovely view of Manarola and was spacious, modern, and very clean. It was a perfect place for my husband and I to relax after long days of exploring and hiking the beautiful surrounding areas. Giovanni was right! Manarola is the best town in the Cinque Terre - not as crowded as Vernazza and very peaceful in the evenings once the day trippers and tour groups depart. He recommended Trattoria Billy for lunch or dinner and it was excellent and a short walk from the rooms. A couple things to note - the room is quite an uphill hike from the train station (what isn't a hike in the Cinque Terre??) and Giovanni resides off site so will meet you (quickly) once you ring the bell or call him. Overall, an excellent place to stay and perfect ending to a perfect trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

Giovanni, and his property made our experience in cinque terre a great one!
We arrived and soon realized anywhere in cinque terre is hard to navigate. So we got straight on the phone to giovanni for directions. He gave us a clear place to meet, then took my girlfriends bag all the way up to the room. A true gentleman! Furthermore, I was shattered, and he quickly offered to also carry my bag. Much appreciated!
The room was perfect, the view is absolutely stunning, and the apartment is equipped with quality appliances and fittings.
Giovanni came through with the goods once again with restaurant recommendations. Benys was exactly what we were after. We ran out of toilet paper, called giovanni, he was at our door in ten mins.
Considering the ideal town manarola is, and the most perfect rooms giovanni offers, I would highly recommend staying here.

Have read a few reviews here, good read for a good laugh! Important point to make is, if something's not right, give giovanni a call and give the opportunity to resolve rather than lashing out on trip advisor and looking like a fool.
Thanks giovanni. Legendary!

• Stayed September 2013
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

We stayed at Giovanni Rooms at the end of August and couldn't have chosen a better place. It's located in Manarola which was one of my favourite villages in Cinque Terre.

The view was absolutely breathtaking. Yes, you do have to walk up a very steep hill and some stairs to get to the apartment but once you're there it's worth it. Giovanni was extremely helpful and met us as soon as we arrived. He carried out luggage up for us which was great as the room is at the top of some steep stairs.

The room itself was very clean and had a comfortable bed. It looks like it has been recently redone as all the facilities are fairly new. There is wifi and a fridge available, as well as a kettle for making coffee and some wine glasses.

The only downside for the whole weekend was the number of ants, however there was a cleaner who came every day who got rid of them for us. Giovanni also very kindly kept our bags for us on the last day as we were only leaving later in the afternoon.

If we ever come back to Cinque Terre I'll definitely stay here and recommend it to all my friends.

Room Tip: The rooms with a sea view are definitely the best!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

You will certainly have your daily work-out staying in this property, it's on the top of Manarola, close to the church square. Needless to say, the view is fantastic.The rooms look oke, nothing special, but it does the job. It is very dusty though, because my boyfriend and I had a lot of problems with our astma and dust allergy, which we only have if a room is not dust-free. No breakfast.

The thing that really pissed us of is the woman being the 'host'. I really don't know why she works in tourism, because she's terrible with people. When we arrived she seemed very annoyed that we were a bit early and said we had to leave and couldn't leave our bags. We just climbed to the top of the village with heavy suitcases and 40 degrees! With our suitcases we couldn't go anywhere in 5 Terre! I said I was heavily disappointed and explained the situation, upon which she groaned we could leave it in the room. What a welcome! The same situation happened when we asked to leave the bags for a few hours after check-out, so we still had a few hours on the beach. Later on we found a key on the street, and we thought it was a good idea to give it to the hotel, so they could contact the hotel that owned it. When we gave it to her her face looked like we just used her hands as a toilet, and shouted that this wasn't her's and she just smashed the door in our faces. Her husband was a lovely man though... that poor thing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with sea view, so on the right side of the building. Even on the 1st floor you can se...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
GiovanniRooms, Proprietario at Giovanni Rooms, responded to this review, 8 September 2013
Dear Mr/s Dutch Delight
Giovanni Rooms feels really sorry about what happened to you with that very bad host. But I (Giovanni, the owner) wanted to underline that no one else work with me here. I mean, it is impossible you found a terrible female host, just because there are no one working with me here.
I personally do all the check in. Moreover, if you told me before that you need help with your bags, i've certainly been happy to come at the train station and help you with your luggage.
So I think your review is simply wrong, since it is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE that you meet a female host here at Giovanni Rooms.
If you think not to be in error, please send me an email with your details and the description of this hostess.
Respectfully.
Giovanni
Giovanni Rooms
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

If you're looking for the ideal city and spot to stay within Cinque Terre this is it. My Wife and I stayed with Giovanni Rooms for two nights on a two week Italian vacation in August and could not have been happier with our selection.

The room is modern, had great air conditioning, and we were fortunate enough to have a gorgeous view of the sea and city down below. Giovanni was there to greet us upon arrival and gave us great recommendations and ideas of what to do while staying there. Those looking for a full fledged hotel with all the amenities are going to be disappointed, but we knew what to expect and loved it.

The only thing I'd comment on is the walk from the train station up to the room, while only 5 minutes, is straight uphill and can be tough with lots of luggage or for elderly. However, it was kind of nice to be up on the hill a bit removed from the main area of Manarola.

I would recommend this location!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manarola
Luna di Marzo
#6 of 17 in Manarola
Ca' de Baran
Ca' de Baran
#14 of 17 in Manarola

Been to Giovanni Rooms? Share your experiences!