“Lovely Seafood, would revisit”
Review of Ristorante Ciak

Ristorante Ciak
Price range: US$30 - US$60
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Closed Wednesday and from December to March
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Stopped by here for dinner as we are staying just up the road.

True to our recent form we have been going to dinner much earlier than Italian's do - around 6:30pm or so, as we have been walking around all day on the trails we figured we'd get down town early and get smashed. As such we were the only patrons upon entering, so management saw to it that we were fawned upon by three waiters, always a treat!

Staff are friendly, explained some of the dishes and offered some recommendations, we ended up ordering the seafood risotto, you have to order a minimum of two servings as it is cooked in a massive terracotta pan and served to you by the staff - all I can say is delicious, best risotto I have had in quite some time, reminds me of the paella I had in Lisbon. We then ordered the mixed skewer grilled seafood, which consists of two very large scampi, two very large king prawns and some octopus - again, delicious.

For dessert we ordered the pannacotta and strawberries and the walnut cake, both were a fine palate clearing sweet finish to our experience here. It is a little pricey but the food is cooked fresh, and I'm fine with paying for fresh food not frozen like some other venues I have been to in Italy.

All in all we loved our meal here and would come again, the gnocchi with pesto looks amazing.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,278)

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Having been to La Lampara many years ago, we looked forward to a good local fish meal. What we got was lukewarm pesto and over-cooked, dried-out seafood. Did not help that the staff was the opposite of gracious. It is obvious that any business they now get is from the goodwill of the La Lampara name.

1  Thank Chris77-563
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

We went here for lunch on a sunny Saturday, sitting outside. Let's start with the positive: I really liked the ambiance and the waiters were very nice. We started off with the antipasto di Lampara. They were good, not very creative, but tasting fresh and the quantity was more than sufficient.
As secondo I had the Spiedo di moscardini and my husband had a beef filet. The cooking of the filet was excellent, although it wasn't the best cut (lots of sinew). But what was the worst was that both our dishes had that overwhelming burnt taste that you get when your pan or grill hasn't been cleaned between cooking and there is burnt stuff sticking to it. It kept me from finishing mine.
When I mentioned this to the waitress she claimed that that was the taste of being grilled on a charcoal grill. But it definitely wasn't that and we're not even sure, there is a charcoal grill there.
Including two salads and a bottle of vino frizzante (which was good) we paid over 100€. I find that a lot, but I suppose for Monterosso it's normal.

1  Thank AlexandraS23
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We ate here on a walk up with no reservation, but luckily they were able to seat us after some friendly conversation in Italian. What's kinda cool about this place is that from the street there is a window that you can see into the kitchen and watch all the food being prepared and cooked. We sat outside as it was late September and the weather was perfect that evening. I would highly recommend ordering one of the Cinque Terre wines as they are made local and it is very difficult to get them outside of CT. They are white wines and incredibly smooth. We had a seafood appetizer that was an assortment of local seafood including sardines, octopus, shrimp, and squid. This isn't something I normally eat, but I like to broaden my tastes when travelling and eat what locals eat. It was surprisingly excellent. For the main course I had very excellent lobster ravioli with prawns. After a few bottles of wine, excellent food, and excellent conversation with some of the locals who were sitting next to us, we ended this dining experience. I would love to get back to Monterosso one day and if I do I will definitely eat here again.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

The seafood risotto was a taste delight...fresh ingredients, perfect texture and taste balance. The whole experience in this restaurant was perfect. The service was just the right mixture of attentive and reserved, the food and little touches made this a very special night, not to mention the glass floor into the wine cellar next to table. We would recommend this restaurant to anyone.