“Sublime, spectacular, delicious ... There are not enough adjectives in a thesaurus.”

Angelo's Boat Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We’ll depart from the harbor in Monterosso and begin our tour by cruising along the coast of the Cinque Terre. We’ll enjoy an Italian aperitivo onboard while getting to know one another and learning about the history of the area. Weather permitting, we’ll stop along the way in one of the pristine coves that only a small boat can enter for a swim in the crystal clear waters of the Mediterranean. For Lunch Tours (€135 per person): We’ll stop for lunch at one of the area’s best family-run restaurants. Here we’ll enjoy a gourmet seafood lunch (alternatives available!) – be prepared for a feast. After lunch, we’ll begin the return trip to Monterosso. Weather permitting we'll stop for more swimming; if not, we'll stop in Vernazza for a gelato. The hotter it is, the more time we like to spend swimming! For Sunset Tours (€85 per person): We’ll stop for fresh tapas at one of the area’s best family-run restaurants. After tapas, we'll begin the return trip to Monterosso.
Colorado Springs, Co
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
Reviewed 10 June 2014

On a mid-May morning with a sky so clear that the silhouette of the French Alps could be seen in the distance, we eased away from the harbor of Monterosso into the cobalt blue of the
Ligurian Sea. Cliff-edge trails, that my husband and I had hiked the day before, look like mere threads, precariously, stringing together the villages of the Cinque Terre. Large, cushioned deck mats allowed us to recline and relax while Prosecco was poured into stemmed glassware for the toast to our journey. "Salute!" This is how life should be.

Angelo is a skilled captain with a fine voice who sometimes accompanies his recordings of favorite arias and melodies. He, his boat and the sea all move as one as he guides the craft into the harbor towns of Vernazza, Corniglia and Manarola. Each is unique and charmed. Guests have time to explore on their own or with the enjoyable company of Alessandro, his assistant, who has lived and studied in the United States. (He's seen more of California than I have.)

As we traveled along the coastline, Angelo and Alessandro, share the history of the
Cinque Terre with their guests: a couple from the Champagne region of France and two couples from the United States. With pride and respect in the telling we learn of centuries of gravity-defying struggles, improbable achievement and the self-sufficiency that has sustained and preserved the five storybook villages.

Lunch, a feast - one of the best meals of my life: Porticciolo in Manarola, I thank you. At a round table in the quiet of the restaurant, platters of perfectly prepared seafood and pasta were passed and served by Angelo and Allesandro. Eight strangers - some shy and quiet, others gregarious - have their wine glasses filled and refilled. Fresh-from-the-sea calamari and octopus. Anchovies - filleted, then marinated in lemon juice, squeezed from lemons picked from the trees of their own courtyards and hillsides, or, salted in another gift from the sea - are delicate, sublime. (Twenty-six days since that amazing lunch. I think of those anchovies every day. They seem not to be even distant relatives of those things we take out of roll-top cans.) Mussels arrive in a warm, subtle marinara. Shells are closed, but worry not. These shells have already been opened, filled with savory herbs and breadcrumbs, tied shut, again, and simmered in marinara to meld the flavors of land and sea. This dish is a metaphor for the Cinque Terre. Angelo explains the ancient, specialty of the region, testaroli. It is served with pesto, sans garlic, I think. Testaroli may be the precursor of pasta, tender to the fork and satisfying. We buy a disc from a local shop to take home. Just before dessert, Angelo accepts a call from his daughter. She has done well on her exam. I see a man who loves his family and his life on the sea.

We resume our journey along the coast in a gentle breeze. For the first time I understand the color of lapis lazuli. Angelo explains the purity of these waters as we look into their blue, crystalline depths. I am sad that our journey is about to end. I consider asking if there might be room for us on the sunset tour later that day.

On our return we are greeted by Angelo's wife, Paula - warm, gracious, a transplanted American. Throughout our reservation process via email the month before, Paula made everything easy and worry-free. A deposit was handled through PayPal. Upon arriving for our stay in Monterosso, we made phone contact with Paula for the exact location. Again, it was easy. She takes care of everything.

Before we said goodbye, Angelo invited us to join him at a café, nearby, for hot espresso with a large dollop of silky vanilla gelato. So satisfying and delicious, partaking of this afternoon delight should be required by law.

I was the only guest who wanted to swim. Allesandro deemed the water "too cold". With my snorkel and mask still dry in my backpack, Paula explained access to a public beach - all within sight of her front steps. (I swim off the coast of New England in late September. It felt fine to me in the waning afternoon sun.) A pebble beach with a scattering of young families on blankets and a few sunbathers. No awful smokers or radios. An abundance of beautiful sea glass and ovals of terracotta tiles have been worn smooth by the sea. Small gems just waiting to be discovered. The clear water had a gradual slope with no tricky currents on that pre-season day in May.

To: Paula, Angelo and Alessandro: Mille grazie. May you and your families always go in health and return in health.

Judy

Visited May 2014
3 Thank boscoten

• Korean first
Punta Cana
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great time! Monterosso is a beautiful place to see by boat”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Although it was a little cold for swimming on the day we went, we had a great time. As it turned out, the group included me, my husband, and two other couples around the same age from the United States. Alessandro was a great host and answered any questions we had about the area. A long lunch in Vernazza was included, that left me stuffed for the remainder of the day.

My only criticism is that a "suggested gratuity" was added to the bill. I'd prefer if the price had been a flat rate. It was a very expensive thing to do already, and I wasn't necessarily prepared to pay more than the quoted amount.

2 Thank Alana D
Paula F, Owner at Angelo's Boat Tours, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review regarding your experience on the lunch tour -we're delighted you had such a great time with us.

I appreciate also your feedback regarding gratuity. As you stated, it is a suggestion and ALWAYS at our guests discretion.

The reason we have included this suggestion of a 10% gratuity is, over the years our guests, mostly non-European have asked us time and time again what would be an appropriate amount to leave as most of our guests would like to do so.

As a result when presenting guests with their final bill we have included the OPTION of a 10% gratuity and this is verbally communicated that should they chose to add this gratuity it is at their discretion - all the gratuity goes to the host/guide in this case Alessandro and none to either myself or Angelo.

I appreciate that you would have rather had this included instead of adding to your bill but we feel strongly that a gratuity should always be left at the guests discretion based on their experience with the service they experienced on their tour.

On a final note, given your exchange rate we are well aware that our tour is not inexpensive. For this reason we have not increased our prices in five years - even though all of our expenses have increased. We hope that each of our guests feels at the end of their tour that we provided a good value for their money spent with us - we take this aspect of our service seriously.

Thank you again for taking the time to write your good words about your experience - we hope we'll have the opportunity to meet again.
Cherrybrook, Australia
“A must do in Cinque Terra!”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Thank you to Angelo, Allessandro, Valentina and Paula for making our stay in the beautiful Cinque Terra an unforgettable experience. This is not just a boat trip - this is friendly, informative, lots of fun and the definitive in Ligurian family dining! Bellissimo from the 'old' Sydney couple. Come on Aussies - get on board for a fabulous day!

Birmingham, AL
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Wonderful day!!”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We had a wonderful day with Angelo and Alessandro on the boat tour! It was a beautiful way to see the Cinque Terra! Paula had a lovely snack on board waiting for us, along with a chilled bottle of prosecco! We had a fabulous lunch in Vernazza, Angelo's choices for the food provided us with one of the best meals we had while visiting the Cinque Terra! This is a tour we would absolutely do again the next time we are in Cinque Terra and would not hesitate to recommend to anyone we know who is going there! We can't say enough good things about Paula, Angelo and Alessandro!!

2 Thank Jocelyn M
Bedford, NH
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Hands down, the best of Italy!”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Truly a great Italian experience~we arrived before the crowds in early May, picked a beautiful day and enjoyed every bit of it. Music, beautiful Italian coastline, procecco, seafood lunch, wine, lemoncello! Topped of with an expresso and dallop of ice cream with the locals and Angelo's wife, Paula. ***** all the way!

Visited May 2014