“Paradise”

Hotel Porto Roca
Philadelphia
“Paradise”
Reviewed 31 August 2013

My wife and recently visited Cinque Terra and had the pleasure of spending three nites at the Porto Roca hotel in Monterossa. We loved everything about our stay. The hotel was located on an oceanside cliff with amazing views. Our room on the 3rd floor had a large private balcony and the room was comfortable.(as if anyone would spend much time in they're room during a visit to CT). The bar and particularly the staff were warm and very accommodating. We had drinks on the bar terrace overlooking the Ligurian sea. We had one of our best meals in Italy at the hotel restaurant which featured an antipasto "buffet" with a large variety of Mediterranean veggies , pasta and fish.Finally the location at the southern most part of town was close enough to the touristy areas but far enough to be away from all the activity in town. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for 3rd floor room w/ balcony
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bogeyman2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 20 August 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for three nights. We had room 305 on the top floor and it was nice. The room itself would be lucky to pass for a two or three star hotel as it is very dated and old but you have to consider where you are and every thing is old. The view from our terrace is definitely five star plus. Our terrace had a dining table and two chairs plus two sun lounges over looking the sea and town. Magnificent. To be truthful had it not been for this magnificent terrace I would not have stayed at the hotel. The new pool is also very nice and some of the staff are very helpful and genuine. Some of the staff are a little "short"?and a bit rude but that is not unusual for Italy.

Room Tip: Must stay on top floor with terrace
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Martin C
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Very picturesque hotel, the bartender was the best! Very, very nice man.
The receptionist was quite rude, upon check in and the other one was rude during our stay.
The pool was closed, but it looked beautiful.
Breakfast was good
Great location.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Cynthia B
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Great place and now that the wonderful swimming pool area is open, this is a real perl.
Short walk to the charming old town (advised to eat there or the restaurant halfway down, as restuarant in hotel is so,so)
Free pick-up to / from train is also great altohugh it is not so far. Arrived by boat from Riomaggiore. Much better than train as you can see all the towns from the sea instead of just tunnels.

Room Tip: We had the a junior suite with a view (shower something else....) and two rooms wothout view. All OK...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 August 2013

My wife and I have just stayed at the hotel Porto Roca. I have to agree with a previous customers comment about being a 5* dog kennel. The rooms are old and decrepit. It's hasn't had any money spent in years. The best bit about the hotel is the pool. It's a shame that the quality that the pool changing rooms / jacuzzi etc has not been replicated inside the hotel. The food in the restaurant is poor and every day at breakfast at 10am on the dot - the head waiter makes his rounds to every table to ensure that everyone has had what they want from the breakfast table, then like a squadron or rats the breakfast condiments are vanished and waiters are preparing for lunch. It makes u feel like you should hurry down your breakfast and leave the dinning room in a hurry as you are in the way. It was a very un comfortable stay at the hotel. In addition the reception lady one evening - blonde hair was extremely rude - we ordered a taxi and whilst we waited for the hotel taxi to arrive which my wife asked for In 20 minutes time - we decided to have some drinks from the bar. 25 minutes later the drinks had not arrived even though we asked asked again how long it would be as we had the taxi driver waiting, they still not arrived. Then the receptionist came out on route to showing a newly arrived couple to their room - snarled and forcefully ensured that the taxi driver is waiting and we should leave as we insisted in the taxi driver taking us in 20 mins, we explained we were still waiting for our drinks to arrive. The look of disgust on the receptionist face was a picture. It made not only us uncomfortable but also the Newley arrived American couple she was escorting to their room. If this was my business I would not have this social butterfly working in reception let alone walking in public areas.

• Stayed August 2013
7 Thank Traveller250178
Reviewed 7 August 2013

My fiancée and I have just left hotel Porto Roca. We are currently on a world trip for 3 months. We do not usually write reviews on trip advisor or take note on peoples reviews as everyones views / perceptions / standards are different when on holiday and staying in hotels regarding to quality etc but we felt that we had to write one in this case. The lady on reception - tall with blonde hair was the rudest person I have ever come across, and trust me I've been to a lot of hotels in my time. If looks could kill, her general attitude towards us was a disgrace. My family own several hotels and I have been around this industry for decades. This kind of attitude is not acceptable in the service trade. She should not be front of house, meeting and greeting customers, possibly out back, maybe kitchen or housekeeping. Considering we spent several thousand euros for 3 day trip anyone would think they were doing us a favour and letting us stay there. The other comments that people have made I would agree. This hotel is tired and I would rate this as a 3 star. We stayed in two types of rooms. The rooms on the first floor were a good size - but furniture was tired. The bathroom was of a good standard tho. The rooms on the 3rd floor are a joke, you cannot swing a cat in there, the bathroom date back to the 80's. the bonus was a better view.To conclude this hotel is way over priced - I understand that it's a seasonal trade for this hotel and they must make their money during the summer months as its dead in winter but €280 per night is overpriced for this quality. (Savoy or Ritz carlton prices).The general staff are pleasant but they do not take well to criticism or if you complain. My fiancée ordered a mojito and was basically water with one mint leaf. The breakfast is standard continental breakfast, which even a trained chimp cant mess up, however We ate in the restaurant one night and found the food to be diabolical. The food in the motorway services was of better quality and standard. If you must eat out, try the local restaurants in the town. When a hotel has a score of 10% or above from trip advisor rating it as terrible / very poor then it's saying something. In addition I have also read the responses from the hotel to other reviews and there are also rude and obnoxious. I hope the owner does read his reviews and takes notes and not just a general manager as if it was my business I would want to know how my staff greet their customers.

• Stayed August 2013
8 Thank Rosie-loves-Jim
Basel
Reviewed 29 July 2013

im sure it would be nice there but the waiten who was politly to say the kitchen was closed did this in the most rudest way. never have i been treated in a hotel that was. good luck when u go... but dont dare to go after 10pm. thats all i can say!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle H
portoroca, Responsabile reception at Hotel Porto Roca, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Dear Madam,
we are sorry for the mishap but to be honest we think it has just been a misunderstanding, as our staff, both at the reception and at the restaurant is never rude. In fact if you have a look at all the reviews most of them say the staff is very friendly and helpfull.
We can read taht you are actually not English mother tongue so think you simply have misunderstood what one of the waiters told you. Or else that might be that they have said something not really correct in English, as not all of them are so good in English.

As far as the opening times are concerned , this is a hotel restaurant so has specific times and the very last entrance is at 9.30 pm and the reservation required.

We hope you will accept our apologies anyway.

Best regards
#2 of 11 in Riomaggiore
Hotel Monterosso Alto
Hotel Monterosso Alto
#16 of 20 in Monterosso al Mare

Been to Hotel Porto Roca? Share your experiences!