“Nice hotel”
Review of Hotel Porto Roca

Hotel Porto Roca
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I had two rooms, one with the great view, and one across the hall in the back. Don't get those rooms. The kitchen is also back there, and the noise of washing pots and pans and talking kept me awake for a while. Then it starts again for breakfast, very early. Everyday someone dropped pots, broke glass, played loud music. There was no airconditioning to drown out the noise.
The hotel was nice and breakfast was good, everything you like, eggs, yogurts and baked goodies. great cappucino's

Room Tip: You have to be in good shape to walk up to the hotel. Most taxi's can't make it up the narr...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 15 April 2014

There is no doubt that the views from Porto Roca are outstanding but a hotel shouldn't just rely on that fact alone. As the only 4 star hotel on the Cinque Terre they have a monopoly which they trade on. The bathrooms need to be brought into the 21st century and the shower recess is so small only a very thin person could cope with the narrow space. The bed was very hard and the decor of the room is very 1970s. We are of the opinion that they run the hotel very much to suit themselves as they don't fill up the swimming pool until 1 May and yet it was warm enough to swim as many others were doing this in the various beaches in the area. Everyone at the hotel was helpful but we couldn't recommend this and we are both quite fit but found the trek up the hill each evening was quite challenging. We were staying in a deluxe room but I simply couldn't recommend this hotel for the price they are charging.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Michele M
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This hotel is perched on top of one of the highest peaks in the village of Monterosso, which means the best views in town! The decor is dated but so is the rest of Monterosso, but the views you will get in the 'sea view' rooms Are absolutely breath-taking. Breakfast is everything you want in a brekky, and the wait staff are so eager to please. The down side? The rather steep and narrow driveway up to the hotel! Great to work off the carbs after a great meal in town! The taxi to and from the station is free, but you're in for a fun ride due to the narrow driveway that wraps around the cliff side, dodging pedestrians and almost scraping the side of the taxi!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I stayed here over a weekend in April 2013. The hotel is purchased in the cliffs with gorgeous ocean views. They have a buffet breakfast each morning with everything you could want. The rooms are clean with room service, friendly staff and a car will pick you up from the public parking area. The hotel is directly on the Blue hiking trail to Vernazza and a short walk to Monterosso al Mare. If you are not a hiker there is a train in town that will get you to all of the other town in Cinque Terre. I would recommend this hotel and will stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony to enjoy the ocean views.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We stayed here last summer in a room overlooking the sea. Stunning views. Great balcony. Food here is beyond fantastic. It is right at the entrance to the hiking trails. Got lots of exercise walking up to the hotel every day since it is up a steep hill- works off some of the Italian cooking though. Very close to the beach and they have their own chairs down there for you to use. Outdated rooms, but that is the norm.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Great hotel, the best on Cinque Terre. I had a top floor room with a huge terrace. I was traveling alone so the size of the bedroom didn't really matter but I could have had a party with 20 people on the terrace. I could have sun or shade any time of the day out there. My view was spectacular! I thought this property is as close to 5 star as you can get here, that might be good news because this area is still rather quaint. I thought the included breakfast buffet was fantastic and the proximity to town excellent. They also put in a beautiful new swimming in 2013.

I also would agree the staff at the front desk could be a bit snobbish but overall I had a great time here!

Room Tip: If you want a great view and a nice terrace ask for the top floor. The rooms on the lower floors ar...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank wjcNewJersey
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Most of my reviews are long overdue--sorry. A hectic schedule never allowed the time for me to write reviews after travelling. But due to the fact that Trip Advisor has ALWAYS helped us with our itineraries, I’m finally making time.

This hotel was recommended by our travel agent. We stayed hear 3 nights.
We arrived by train after flying into to Pisa following our stay in Paris. The hotel will send a courtesy taxi for you once you inform them of your arrival time. We really liked this hotel and love the location, which is set up on a hill with the BEST view of the water. It's a very special location. The start of the hiking paths to the other villages is located within the property, which we took advantage of. Hotel Porto Roca is in old Porta Roca but everyything, including the restaurants we frequented in the new part of town, are within walking distance. We had a great room with lots of closet space and a large terrace with spectacular views of the sea. I wish I could remember the floor. The hotel would have received 5 stars but I must admit that the rooms are a bit dated and could definitely use a revamping and makeover. However, the room was super clean and the housekeeping staff is fantastic. The multi-lingual front desk staff is EXCELLENT. They spoke perfect English, Italian, Spanish and German, to name a few. I wish I could rememeber all their names but I do remember Rosanna for sure, who was lovely and shared her photos of her dog with us. There was a woman from Germany who also quite helpful, personally offering her own postage stamps to us to mail our postcards.

We had dinner at the hotel retaurant on one of the nights, which was very good. But since we are food nerds, we tried a new restaurant every day for dinner and lunch. We had breakfast at the hotel every morning though. Breakfast was excellent with a large selection of everything. The outdoor dining area overlooks the water and cannot be beat!

But what really made our stay a touching and memorable experience, was the BEST Barman in all of Italy--Simone!! He is the hardest-working, kind, and thoughtful Barman we have come across in all of our travels, and we travel extensively! I don't think there was an hour during the day or night when he was not feverishly working and taking care of guests. My husband and I tend to eat dinner late and every night when we would return from dinner, Simone would be there to greet us with amazing espressos and great conversation. Even the cats come out at night just to be near Simone! We will return to Hotel Porto Roca just to see this wonderful gentleman again!

The pool was beautiful but we never used it since it was summer and we just walked to the beach where the hotel has a special section for its guests, which made us feel very special.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple