“5 star location, 2 star rooms” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Porto Roca

Hotel Porto Roca
Dearborn, MI
“5 star location, 2 star rooms”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2009

I stayed Hotel Porto Roca in Oct. 2009. It's not a bad place, but it is definitely not worth the money to stay here. I had a view of a gigantic brick wall outside my hotel room, which they did give me a discount on to a tune of 178 Euro per night and I stayed three nights. The room was outdated and the bathroom sink and show, heck the entire bathroom was very tiny. Initially as I was climbing the hill with my suitcase, the taxi went past me without offering me a ride and I was halfway up the hill and panting while carrying my suitcase. I thought the breakfast here was the best out of the six hotels I stayed at during my trip. Next time, however, I will stay elsewhere. Not worth the $$.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank hasisme

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Korean first
Brisbane
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2009

This hotel was one of the most expensive of our European trip and what a disaster. Of the 40 rooms in the hotel, there are only FOUR on the 'wrong' side of the hotel which do not have the magnificent Mediterranean view of which the hotel boasts. We scored one of them! This was despite the fact we had confirmed we wanted a room with a balcony.
Ours had a COURTYARD GARDEN (weeds), yet management insisted it was indeed a balcony. Our 'view' was of a 20m rock wall ,three steps from our face.! . It was dreadful. We had booked specifically at this place to be able to enjoy the beautiful view and were given a room tucked away in the back ,with no outlook whatsoever. We were livid.

When we complained, we were told that we hadn't asked specifically for a seaview. I can tell you, there is no other reason you'd stay at this hotel except for the location. The walk up from the township and beach is horrendously steep and you wouldn't do it, arriving seriously sore and out of breath (and I'm fit), unless the room was worth it. We found that the staff didn't really give a toss about our dilemma, just blaming our travel agent.They said that they were fully booked and couldn't move us. We looked into another room and it made us green, when we saw how nice it was and what a great outlook it had. We were upset to learn it was only $40 a night more than ours (we would have happily paid the difference).
Since returning home I have read other reviews with interest-Travellers need to beware! There is obviously a great variety of rooms at this place. My advice, if you really want to go there, is to absolutely insist on a good size room with a balcony AND a sea view.

3 Thank BrisbaneAngela
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2009

While the staff was very nice and helpful, for the money spent, this wasn't a great value. We stayed in the high end room on the top floor. The room was very small and had a shower but no bath. The sundeck was as big as the room, and was great. The tv didn't really work well and was incredible small. The furnishings are old a shabby. The bed linens were fresh and clean. Overall, there are better places in any of the 5 villages in Cinque Terre. I wouldn't stay there again. The hotel restaurant is very expensive.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank denalda
Troy, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2009

After reading the reviews on tripadvisor my husband and I gave a lot of thought to booking at Hotel Proto Roca. It was one of the more expensive hotels we booked for our two-week stay in Italy and I was a little concerned about some of the negative reviews. Frankly, I was pleasantly surprised. Yes the lobby is decorated in an old fashioned style, but is seems fitting for the location. I would not describe it as tired. The rooms are lovely. We had two different rooms because the first night we were placed the first floor just above the entrance. We had a view of the sea, but the roof over the entrance jutted out a little. They could not move us the first night because they were full, but they moved us the next day without a problem to a room on the second floor and that was just wonderful. The first room was a little noisy in the early morning with the taxi coming to pick people up, but we like to sleep with the balcony door open. Once I closed the door, it was fine.

In response to some of the other comments made on tripadvisor…

· The staff is friendly and helpful. Everyone, including the restaurant staff, went out of their way to make us feel welcome. Service is typically slow in Italy. People who are expecting things yesterday are going to be frustrated. It is not necessarily a sign of a bad restaurant.
· The food is good and priced on par with many other nice restaurants throughout Italy. I thought is would be much higher priced because of the view.
· The showers are small. Welcome to Italy. They were far superior to others we have experienced while in Europe.
· There is a climb up the hill. It’s not that bad and why anyone would wear high heels down it is beyond me! If she have a hard time getting back up it, you can’t blame the hill or the hotel.
· We did not use the air-conditioning as we stayed there in September and prefer to have the balcony door open anyway.
· There was no extra charge for beach towels and the chairs and umbrellas are nice. The beach is gravely, but we were tired from our travels and enjoyed a day off.
· We did not use the bar as we picked up a bottle of wine in town and enjoyed it on our private terrace.
· I would definitely stay at Hotel Porto Roca again and I would recommend it to friends.

3 Thank peglegdebs
PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2009

Cinque Terre is breathtaking, and Porto Roca has unbelievable views from the property. The location is wonderful and the scenery is truly magnificent. Our room was extremely small and the bathroom was miniscule. There was one small sink with no counter at all. The rooms could use a major face lift, but the views are unbelievable. We had a first floor room with a small balcony. The upper floor rooms had large terraces. If you go, request one of these rooms.

UAE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2009

Best location in Monterossa with a magnificent view. Restaurant is superb, beautiful view, tranquil atmosphere. Menu selection very good and extensive wine list. Waiters very knowledgeable and service excellent. Reception staff very friendly and helpful. If you use your own transport, call the hotel to send a taxi at their cost to fetch you from the car park. Quite a steep walk up to the hotel, make sure you have comfortable walking shoes. Walking trail from Monterossa to Vernazza rather challenging, but worth the blood, sweat and tears. Only downfall of this hotel - they could invest in more luxurious pillows. Pillows are rock hard and very uncomfortable. If you prefer soft plush pillows, take your own.

Cleveland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2009

We looked at all of the hotels in this area and this is by far the best place to stay. Phenomenal service, view and room size/cleanliness. It's more expensive than the other hotels, but worth every penny!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
#6 of 20 in Monterosso al Mare
Hotel Margherita
Hotel Margherita
#5 of 20 in Monterosso al Mare

Been to Hotel Porto Roca? Share your experiences!