“Brilliant...!”
Review of Hotel Baia

Hotel Baia
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Monterosso al Mare
Reviewed 27 September 2013

They say location is important well this hotel has got it..! The beach is just across the road, the restaurants are in abundance and the staff at the hotel are all lovely. Wifi is a bit annoying only being available in the foyer but a minor drama. We had a lovely room on the second floor and did wish for a lift some days but it was clean and had a lovely garden out the back which made the room so much better. Breakfast was good and plentiful. Also a plus was the flat 100 metre walk from the station. Love to return to is lovely hotel and Monterosso.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

Very basic rooms that need an update. Bathrooms clean & large. Staff friendly. Internet is just useless, works in public area.... It only worked in reception & that's if it worked. Very close to the station which makes it a brilliant location with its own beach which is €10 per day for a sun chairs or use the public beach. Beach towels are €1.00 per person. The breakfast is pretty poor. I know breakfast isn't the main dish of the day for Italians but it is for many others. I would stay there again, just hope it's had a refresh!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 6 September 2013

The phone number provided does not work. Booking.com cannot get in touch with them at all. They took my money outside of the scope of what we had agreed to (meaning 2 weeks before I was scheduled to arrive) and have not refunded the money. And since the phone number provided does not work, there is no way to contact this very poorly run hotel. I booked my stay 2 weeks before I was scheduled to arrive and irregardless of what they indicate on the website of charging when you arrive or if you are a no-show, they just went ahead and took my money the day I booked it. When I cancelled, because that was completely outside the scope of what I had agreed to, I was told the only way I can try to get my money back is to dispute it when my credit card company. Very unfair and a poor way to do business.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tanetane21
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This hotel reminds me of hôtels at the british seaside in the 60's! Everythhing has already been said, the lift is for luggage only, but understandably as it is so slow and old, the lighting on the stairs is dark, gloomy and unwelcoming (ever heard of halogen?), the staff however I found fairly welcoming, even the famous 'lady owner', as long as you smile and say good morning. Breakfast was plentiful, the rooms were clean and very simple, but with flat screen television and fridge (empty). We had ordered two balcony rooms, or thought we had, and were given one and another with a sea view but no balcony and were told it was the same, so had a slight altercation at the outset. Yes, it was expensive for what it was, but was on the beach, close to the station and close to the car park. If it had been advertised as a 2 star at 50 euros cheaper, I would have said it was a good deal. I can't talk about the restaurant as we didn't eat there apart from breakfast, but altogether it was better than I expected having read the reviews. It is true that 3 flights of stairs if you've forgotten your sun cream is somewhat laborious, and should definitely be avoided for people with walking problems, but we told ourselves that the exercise did us good, and the view was glorious.

Room Tip: Really specify if you want a balcony, and confirm in writing. Avoid heavy luggage as there is no p...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank IsobellaParis
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Perfect location - 1 min from station (not noisy though) in the beach area rather than the old town (which is a little walk away so more of a hassle to pop back to your room).. It's On the Beach,they do sell sunbeds to the public but they always keep enough available for guests (10€ for 2 people all day with umbrella).

We stayed in room 31, twin room. Quite small but room to manouvre. Enough storage to hang clothes etc!, clean room, very comfortable beds and strong shower. It is on the side of the building with no balcony but has a lovely view out to sea and good air conditioning. It has a fridge for keeping cool drinks.

Breakfast was fine, not great, not awful and abit boring by the third day. The wifi is free but only available on the ground floor.

Our room was on the third floor. Unless you are infirm or pregnant, you are can only use the service lift arriving and leaving with your baggage.

The staff - the younger ones speak good English and are friendly and helpful. They were great with train information etc and made us feel welcome. The owner that is referred to in previous review is abit abrupt, her English isn't great (why should it be you are in Italy)but I think this is where the frustrations come from, she wasn't rude she just isn’t super friendly and conversation is limited. She accommodated any requests we had. Italians gesticulate alot and speak passionately to each other, it's not neccessirily agressive, but I guess it can sound like that if you dont know what they are saying.

I think the key to remember is; European hotels are expensive, often small and more B&B than a hotel. At this price you certainly wouldnt get room service/or luxuries/service you may expect in hotels in other countries unless you are lucky. This is a hotel in a tourist area in a beautiful part of Italy, the focus is on the outside, time spent in the hotel is minimal. We paid 480 Euros for 3 nights to stay in a greatlocation, had excellent nights sleep and good shower facilities...sounds a lot, but that is the price you have to pay, it is not a cheap country.

I would happily stay here again, it's an average hotel, I dont think my budget would stretch to an excellent hotel in Italy!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MillingRoundtheWorld
Reviewed 20 August 2013

The hotel is only a couple minute walk from the train station and is across the street from the beach (you have access to the lounge chairs). With that being said the hotel itself is just OK. I was warned about the staff prior to making my reservations but was assured the location would make up for it...they were right.

We had booked an oceanfront room, only to find out they had double booked the room. We were then put into a room with a lovely patio, however, it's not what we had wanted. The rooms were clean, staff was just there...not friendly, not too rude, just did the least amount possible to get you out of their way.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jana12142013
Reviewed 9 August 2013

If your heading to Monterosso - Chinque Terre, and want a reasonably priced hotel with ocean view, choose Hotel Baia. Hotel Baia is centrally located on the beach front easy walk to everything in Monterosso. The staff at hotel Baia are extemely friendly and went out of there way to help us.
the hotel has is own designated area of beach front with deck chairs. Also each room has a balcony.

Room Tip: Ask or a blacony to enjoy the views
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple