“Wonderful stay in Monterosso”
Review of Hotel Souvenir

Hotel Souvenir
Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

I found a great deal on this hotel for a single room and being that I was a solo female traveler, a safe location was very important. I felt very safe here! The style of the room wasn't anything fancy, which I wasn't looking for anyway, and I would agree that it is more of a hostel style or dorm room style. Very clean and even without AC, I was comfortable. I loved the location! Very easy and a scenic walk from the train station. Staff was VERY friendly and helpful!

My only complaints would be the poor wi-fi and the fact that I tried to get a shower from 6pm to midnight and the bathroom was completely monopolized. This isn't the hotel's fault, I think I just had the experience of sharing a bathroom with some very inconsiderate people.

All in all, I would stay here again.

2  Thank Monmcg1
There are newer reviews for Hotel Souvenir

Reviewed 21 July 2013

Very small room, limited Internet and shared bathrooms ... Good place for backpackers, not couples. Picture on website shows a chef and his wife, no chef near this hotel and definitely not managed at the site by owners. Don't get me wrong - if you need a place to sleep that offers bare minimum Hotel Souviner is fine. But to come back to Monterosso for a holiday I will stay elsewhere ..

1  Thank CocoPants
Reviewed 18 July 2013

A great location, courteous staff, and affordability made this a perfect choice for us. This hotel has rebuilt itself after a devastating flood in 2011 and is continuing to make improvements.
We had a triple room with a TV and hair dryer as well as our own bathroom. I would suggest skipping the upcharge for a TV and hair dryer because the hair dryer is very low power, and in Monterosso no one should need a TV! The room was cramped with the three beds, a wardrobe and desk, but we were only in it to sleep, so we did not feel it a huge inconvenience. I was concerned about having no air conditioning, and the first night was a little steamy even with the windows open, but after telling the front desk about our discomfort, we arrived back in the room to find a fan running. This made the final two nights comfortable.
The hotel staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. I loved the outdoor areas and the free Wi-Fi in the common areas. The breakfast was wonderful with fresh fruit, yogurt, pastries, and a selection of meats and cheeses.
It's only a five minute walk to the beach and a 10 minute walk to the station. They had beach towels to use for a nominal deposit (which was refunded when we returned the towels).
We were told that over the winter it is their goal to add AC in the rooms as well as Wi-Fi access throughout the whole hotel. These two things would make my rating even higher, and my return to Hotel Souvenir guaranteed.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a lower floor if steps are a concern because there is no elevator. Go with a room...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tricia B
Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

It's overpriced. The hotel isn't horrible, but it's tough to sleep when it's so hot. The air also became stale as a result of not having a fan. For close to 100€ a night, I expected more.

Here's a great tip for anyone traveling to cinque terre. Stay in Levanto or La Spezia- it's cheaper and the value is much better. The train is very accessible, and you ll find yourself taking it even if you stay in Monterroso, as you will be traveling between the towns.

I also found the restaurants in Monterosso to be overpriced for what you receive. They might be better and cheaper in the larger Levanto or La Spezia.

2  Thank FranklinTheJokester
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Beautiful reception and bar area. Good continental breakfast. We really enjoyed our stay at this affordable hotel in a quadruple room (shared bathroom). Although the bathroom was shared with other guests on our floor there were no major issues. Staff were friendly and even let us check-in at 01:00 in the morning.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank NicTam85
Reviewed 5 July 2013

After a week of emailing back and forth with someone at this hotel, we confirmed the availability of the full comfort plus room with a king bed and a sea view, even though the hotel looked booked on their website. The minute I send my credit card information (via email, mind you), I get a reply email saying they are now fully booked. FISHY.

All along, they were emailing back with short answers, and/or wouldn't answer very basic/simple questions. They were not interested in providing any extra information either, such as booking details, etc., either. Should have known... I'll be watching my credit card VERY carefully.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Kate L
Hotel Souvenir P, Direttore at Hotel Souvenir, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2016

Dear Kate,

we are sorry that you lost the room, we are in Monterosso, 5 terre, we have a lot of requests each hour, so if a guest need time to feel comfortable to book a room it can append that another guest can book the last one quickly from our reservation page. (https://reservations.verticalbooking.com/reservation_hotel_start.htm?id_stile=10806&lingua_int=eng&id_albergo=14021&dc=3195).
We're sorry also that you felt fished, but I can assure that we are not thieves, no one had money stolen from us, and our business is not to fish credit card details.

Take care and have a nice day.

Reviewed 2 July 2013

I got a last-minute deal on an "economy" room and was ever so pleased with my stay. Monterosso al Mare was lovely and Hotel Souvenir was great. Keep your eyes peeled for the little side street it is down (look for signs to the church with a focacceria on the corner) after that it is quite easy to spot. The bathroom and shower for my room was shared by 4 but that was not at all problematic for me (I'm used to hostels), especially as my room had a sink within. The included breakfast was especially ample and the staff very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
#5 of 20 in Monterosso al Mare
Hotel La Spiaggia
Hotel La Spiaggia
#7 of 20 in Monterosso al Mare

Been to Hotel Souvenir? Share your experiences!