“Not worth the money - dont stay here”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Souvenir

Hotel Souvenir
“Not worth the money - dont stay here”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

We'd spent 10hrs hiking through the mountains to get there and were really looking forward to a comfy nights sleep, which we expected at £80 per night.
We'd booked a double room with sharing bathroom.
When we arrived we were really excited, communal areas looked clean and modern however after the staff had half heartily shown us to the room (stood at bottom of stairs and pointed up them) we were shocked at how basic the rest of the hotel was.
The bedroom was poor with no air con and strangely a bidet that didn't work, we also found ants across the floor.
We knew a shared bathroom would be a bit of a struggle but it was dirty and you had to remember to take your loo roll in with you. From about 6pm there was also no hot water. Our bedroom ran alongside it so all night we had to endure listening to people use the loo!
On the positive the communal areas were nice, however these were the only areas in which you could access the wifi.
Some staff were friendly however others were rude and even told we to shhh when we were at the admin desk sorting out payment.
Overall i would never stay here again, it was very overpriced and even after 10hrs of hiking and being absolutely exhausted it was still to uncomfortable and nosey to sleep!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Potter_Rach

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
SASKATOON
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

We had book a double comfort room. When we showed up the grounds and the hotel entrance is very nice clean and very quaint, just As the pictures on the website or so I thought. It was an incredibly hot day the day we arrived and couldn't wait to get up to our room and dump our bags. I was expecting to see the room that they had advertised on the website as a dbl comfort room. We got to the room and it was an old room not anything like the pictures and no air-conditioning either. The room was unbelievably hot. We opened the window and had to ask for a fan to get a breeze in to the room. I would say that I was totally disappointed with the room, especially at $150 Euro a night. We met up with some friends who stayed at another hotel in Monterosso for $100 Euro and the rooms were 100% better than the one we got and they even had air conditioning. I know they must have better rooms cause the one they show on the web site looks like it has a balcony which would be the rooms in the other building. Breakfast was good and the atmosphere in and around the common areas is great, but the rooms are not worth the asking price. Not when there are other hotels around that charge less and have way better rooms. Definitely won't be going back. Sorry!

Room Tip: Ask to see a picture of the room they reserve for you. I also believe they don,t have air conditioni...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mark R
Cheshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

The main body of this hotel, i.e. reception, bar and breakfast room are well appointed and it has a nice outside seating area for a glass off wine. However the bedroom we had was not to the same standard with cheap flimsy furniture and cramped bathroom with a mouldy ceiling. No air- conditioning and mosquitoes in the room when we arrived meant I had to go out and buy some fly killer as they didn't have any, but they did supply an electric fan for the room. The breakfast was nice with a good choice of items on the cold buffet. I find it difficult to rate this as the room was poor in comparison to the rest of the hotel. I don't know if we were just unlucky as I didn't see any of the other rooms and on this basis would not stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

I found a great deal on this hotel for a single room and being that I was a solo female traveler, a safe location was very important. I felt very safe here! The style of the room wasn't anything fancy, which I wasn't looking for anyway, and I would agree that it is more of a hostel style or dorm room style. Very clean and even without AC, I was comfortable. I loved the location! Very easy and a scenic walk from the train station. Staff was VERY friendly and helpful!

My only complaints would be the poor wi-fi and the fact that I tried to get a shower from 6pm to midnight and the bathroom was completely monopolized. This isn't the hotel's fault, I think I just had the experience of sharing a bathroom with some very inconsiderate people.

All in all, I would stay here again.

2 Thank Monmcg1
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

Very small room, limited Internet and shared bathrooms ... Good place for backpackers, not couples. Picture on website shows a chef and his wife, no chef near this hotel and definitely not managed at the site by owners. Don't get me wrong - if you need a place to sleep that offers bare minimum Hotel Souviner is fine. But to come back to Monterosso for a holiday I will stay elsewhere ..

1 Thank CocoPants
Urbana, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

A great location, courteous staff, and affordability made this a perfect choice for us. This hotel has rebuilt itself after a devastating flood in 2011 and is continuing to make improvements.
We had a triple room with a TV and hair dryer as well as our own bathroom. I would suggest skipping the upcharge for a TV and hair dryer because the hair dryer is very low power, and in Monterosso no one should need a TV! The room was cramped with the three beds, a wardrobe and desk, but we were only in it to sleep, so we did not feel it a huge inconvenience. I was concerned about having no air conditioning, and the first night was a little steamy even with the windows open, but after telling the front desk about our discomfort, we arrived back in the room to find a fan running. This made the final two nights comfortable.
The hotel staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. I loved the outdoor areas and the free Wi-Fi in the common areas. The breakfast was wonderful with fresh fruit, yogurt, pastries, and a selection of meats and cheeses.
It's only a five minute walk to the beach and a 10 minute walk to the station. They had beach towels to use for a nominal deposit (which was refunded when we returned the towels).
We were told that over the winter it is their goal to add AC in the rooms as well as Wi-Fi access throughout the whole hotel. These two things would make my rating even higher, and my return to Hotel Souvenir guaranteed.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a lower floor if steps are a concern because there is no elevator. Go with a room...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tricia B
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

It's overpriced. The hotel isn't horrible, but it's tough to sleep when it's so hot. The air also became stale as a result of not having a fan. For close to 100€ a night, I expected more.

Here's a great tip for anyone traveling to cinque terre. Stay in Levanto or La Spezia- it's cheaper and the value is much better. The train is very accessible, and you ll find yourself taking it even if you stay in Monterroso, as you will be traveling between the towns.

I also found the restaurants in Monterosso to be overpriced for what you receive. They might be better and cheaper in the larger Levanto or La Spezia.

2 Thank FranklinTheJokester
#4 of 11 in Riomaggiore
Hotel Margherita
Hotel Margherita
#5 of 20 in Monterosso al Mare

Been to Hotel Souvenir? Share your experiences!