“Lovely family run hotel in best part of cinque terre”
Review of Hotel La Spiaggia

Hotel La Spiaggia
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We had a room with a small balcony overlooking the beach. Was so nice to wake up to that view each morning.,. Our room on the 3rd floor was quite spacious with a bed, desk, 2 seater couch and small fridge(not all rooms have one) we also had air conditioning as I booked early. Bathroom was ok for the two of us. Room could probably do with a fresh coat of paint but other than that we couldn't fault it. It was nice to be greeted by the ever helpful Francesca with a glass of wine on arrival and found Andrea always happy to impart onto us his knowledge of the area and best places to visit. This is a family run business right next to the train station in monterroso and the only sandy beach, which we swam in daily, along the cinque terre. So glad I chose Monterrosso as it is quite flat compared to the other towns, those hills are a killer in the hot sun. Took a ferry ride to porto venere which was a beautiful little town and the views from the ferry were spectacular. It did get a bit noisy at night but that is not the fault of the hotel. We received a farewell bottle of Andreas own wine when leaving. Fantastic hospitality. Would definitely return.

Room Tip: Ocean view
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janet D

Reviewed 7 September 2013

I have stayed in Monterosso a couple of times previously but in the old town so this time I wanted to be close to the train station because I didn't want to push suitcases in the heat of summer so I chose this hotel based on location to train, location to beach, price & TA reviews. The hotel meets some of that criteria it's just very tired & shabby & is in desperate need of renovations, even just minor. I stayed in 2 different rooms during my stay. First night at the back of the hotel in a very tiny room (I'm a solo traveller so can't imagine 2 people in the rooms!) the shower could barely fit a child & no air con (which I knew at the time of booking so it wasn't a surprise nor was it an issue). There was a large terrace where i think cats must go to the toilet as it did smell a bit & the pot plants had holes dug out & dirt everywhere. The room I would describe as being one level up from a hostel. I've stayed in the highest of end luxury resorts through to grass roots camping so I know my hotels! Considering I wasn't in the room much, overall it didn't bother me. The last 2 nights I moved to a beach front with small balcony where the view supersedes the actual room. The bathroom was slightly better thankfully & again no air con but I had the windows open for the breeze & they provide a standing fan so I was fine. If you don't like street noise then ask for a room at the back as its very noisy but this didn't particularly bother me only occasionally I'd be woken with the restaurants below late at night/early morning. The breakfast was below average in comparison to any other hotel I've stayed in. There's no bar fridge in the room so you can't keep water or drinks cold but they do provide a bucket with ice should you need. The staff seemed reasonably friendly especially the 2 girls on reception. Basically it just needs some love and attention & a bit of maintenance & they'd have a great place. I am surprised by the glowing reviews but seeing some of the guests, I'm not overly surprised as we in Australia would call them bogans (to put it nicely)
Overall it's an adequate, family run hotel. They do mention to not expect the Hilton & they're not wrong! The quality of accommodation in the area is all quite basic & way overpriced (paid 150 euros per night as a single or 175 eu as a double) but the close proximity to the beach, station & restaurants made this hotel worthwhile. Would I consider staying here again? Perhaps, but id probably go back to the old town even if it meant carrying my bags.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank missrubee
Reviewed 4 September 2013

This was a great hotel located right near the sandy part of the beach in cinque terre. The staff was great and very knowledgable. Very clean rooms with air conditioning, which seemed rare in this small town. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

We had a great stay at this hotel. The location is smack-dab in the middle of the action - walk out the front door and grab a table at Miky's (yum-yum ... ate here twice).

Andrea is quite the character and we were able to procure a signature on his book about his upbringing and history in Cinque Terre. We throughly enjoyed him and his wine. He's also very helpful with recommendations throughout many towns in Italy - of which we took advantage of when we visited Monteriggioni in Tuscany.

The reason for only 4 stars is that our room - while wonderfully air conditioned - was small, as was the bathroom. We had a beach-facing room without a balcony, so the view was lovely. We made the size work, but it seems the price is a little high for such a small room.

The breakfast was adequate - no cook-to-order, but enough to energize us for our day of hiking. We would definitely return to this hotel.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We stayed at this hotel on our honeymoon in August 2013, and I have to say it was absolutely perfect. The location - right across the street from the public beach - could not have been better, and the hospitality showed to us by the owner and hotel staff was amazing. The room was perfect and the bathroom was updated. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Monterosso.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

This is an amazing hotel. It is in a great location. The staff is very helpful. The rooms are expensive, but worth the money. Monterosso is definitely the best town to stay in and explore the Cinque Terre. Andrea is great and very knowledgeable about the Cinque Terre. We would definitely stay there again.

Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

Sorry just want to be clear we did not stay at the hotel but did a day trip instead. We got there early so tourist info was closed and there was no hours of operation or anything much in english but a map board in italian. I mean the point is we walked pass the hotel and owner knew we didn't stay at the hotel but still gave us the info we needed without hesitation. He was so kind and all the recommendations were just spot on. Warm and welcome