“Disappointing”

Hotel La Spiaggia
Scranton, Pennsylvania
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Our travel agency raved about this wonderful hotel and it's charismatic owner Andrea Poggi.
We expected him to great all 31 of us with open arms and a welcoming bottle of wine.
What we got was a total snub. We were guests there for two days and he never had the courtesy to come out of his room. We were told he was too busy,he was watching" Dancing with the Stars"
The hotel was located close to the beach and within walking distance of good restaurants.
The rooms were small, but clean.
Because of the owners rudeness, the travel agency's representative, who was with our group
Recommended that this Hotel be replaced with the Porto Roco hotel which is nearby on any future trips to Monterosso.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Arlene S
LaSpiaggia, Proprietario at Hotel La Spiaggia, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Arlene,

I thank you a lot for your comments.

I can tell you that in Scranton there are over 50 customers of mine that they would disagree with what you say in your letter.

You can go through the over 400 letters commenting my place and you'll find that most of them are more than happy to come and stay here and to enjoy the glass of wine that we treat everybody to.

I probably wasn't so lucky to meet you Madame, and I feel very sorry about it.

According to your comments about me watching “Dancing with the stars” I want to answer you with a regal motto: “Honi soit qui mal y pense” .

I can tell you that I am behind the desk for 14 hours every day and never in my room looking at trash. Had it been what you thought Madame, I would be culturally sitting in “umbra mortis”. And having the knowledge of over half a dozen of languages I don't think I do belong to that group.

I wonder why having not seen me at all you can describe me as a rude person.
And I'll be very pleased if the next time that you come to Monterosso you will choose hotel Porto Roca. They're great friends of mine and they have one of the most gorgeous swimming pools of the Mediterranean right on the cliffs. They take women in a bikini or topless. And I'll be very pleased to make sure that they give you a sunbed in the best corner of the site.

I do agree with you totally.

Andrea Poggi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed 31 October 2013

This was my second visit to Italy and my first visit to Cinque Terre. I researched endlessly and wasn't sure about which one of the 5 lovely villages to stay but I'm happy to say that our stay in mid September, 2013 at the Hotel La Spiaggia in Monterosso was definitely the right choice! The village may be a bit busier than the others but we enjoyed the selection of restaurants and direct access to the beach. The Hotel La Spiaggia is an easy walk from the train station and was located right across from the beach in the new part of town and the views of the beautiful Ligurian Sea were amazing! We received a warm welcome upon our arrival and were given a lovely refreshing glass of wine while we waited. I had corresponded with Maria by email to book the rooms and loved that she was there when we arrived so I could meet her in person. Maria was extremely efficient to deal with by email and it gave such a comforting feeling to arrive and meet her in person (like staying with a friend). We had two rooms, one double and a twin. Both rooms were facing the Sea and we enjoyed having our window open and listening to the sounds of the water and life of the town below. The rooms are simple and clean and the bathrooms were very nice with a great shower. Sorry I did not get photos of the room as I was so busy taking pictures of the view. Seriously, we paid 170 euro per night and it was worth every penny just to enjoy the view at the start and end of each day. We thought the breakfast was fantastic (included with stay), there was cereal, boiled eggs, sliced meat and cheeses, pastries, yogurt, a great variety of fruit and they were constantly replenishing. The breakfast opens at 8:30 am which may be a bit late for some but we just enjoyed a coffee from the little stand across the street and relaxed until the office and breakfast opened and we still had plenty of time to hike the trails and be back in time for an afternoon swim. The owner Andrea was fun to chat to and as others have reported he was super friendly gave many great tips of where to go and eat and what to see and when he found out we were headed to Rome later in the trip he passed along several recommendations for restaurants there too (all good). Grazie Andrea and Maria for making our trip to Cinque Terre so memorable,...we hope to return one day and we will definitely book the Hotel La Spiaggia next time!

1 Thank Canadiantraveldiva7
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We simply loved this hotel.

It's in a great location, just a few doors down the street from the train station, and directly on the waterfront. There are plenty of great places to eat right down the street. There's a laundry a couple of blocks away that will deliver your laundry back to the hotel.

We had an ocean view room on the top floor. It had plenty of space, was spotless and comfortable. The bathroom was great. The bed was great. The street isn't noisy and the sound of the waves on the shoreline was great. Breakfast was quite nice - good selection and good food.

The service is stellar. We were served a glass of wine on arrival, while the lovely woman on the front desk did our paperwork. The owner Andrea gave us some good tips for restaurants for places we were going to after Cinqueterre...and his tips proved to be good ones. And he's a great guy to talk to.

All in all, we would recommend this hotel without reservation.

Room Tip: You don't really need a balcony so long as you have a sea view.....the windows open wide and it...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Katy, Texas
Reviewed 19 October 2013

This was my second visit to "La Spiaggia". The proprietor, Andrea, remembered me (after 10 plus years!) and was just as helpful in suggesting itineraries and restaurants as on my previous visit. Although the room (try to get an ocean view) was a bit small, it was clean and comfortable for us. What makes this a great place to stay is its convenient location (close to train station) and the charm of Andrea and his staff. I'm sure that we'll re-visit Andrea in the future.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Gold Coast
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This hotel is located in the new town, right across the road from the beach. Make sure you get a room facing the sea though as the other side is pretty ordinary - not much of a garden view as they say! The family is beautiful and will do anything for you - all you need to do is ask! We felt the rooms were pretty average though - compared to what we had stayed in for the rest of the trips. Great shower though! The walls were pretty thin however, we could hear the guy next door snoring in his sleep!

1 Thank NicoleJoy82
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 13 October 2013

The best thing about this hotel is the amazing location. Beautiful views of the beach and promenade in front of the hotel. Monterosso is also a very "user friendly" town to walk around compared to the other Cinque Terre towns. It is very flat and has many bars and cafes all within easy walking distance. We had initially booked a room with terrace and balcony but we had to change our travel dates and so we had to compromise and have a smaller room with sea view for two nights and then change to the original balcony room for our last night. We were very disappointed in the smaller room. Although it had a lovely view it was extremely small, very hard for two people to walk around the end of the bed and to manoevouring the room at the same time. The bathroom had no outside ventilation and had a faint odour most of the time. We were surprised that this room was the same price as the large balcony room which was excellent. Unfortunately on our last day the weather was very stormy so we were unable to take advantage of the wonderful balcony, however, the room was large and spacious and the bathroom large and well ventilated. This room also had adequate window coverings making it dark in the morning which the smaller room did not. If staying at this hotel I would make sure you booked the large corner balcony room particularly as it is the same price as less spacious and well equipped rooms. Breakfast was only just adequate. Also be aware that the hotel office does not open until 8.30 am so if you need to book out earlier you will need to do it the night before. Francesa was very friendly and helpful, recommending restaurants and helping us to sort out our train tickets and timetables.

Room Tip: Choose a large corner balcony room, Room 23 was great.
1 Thank Lorraine B
LaSpiaggia, Direttore at Hotel La Spiaggia, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear Lorraine,
very much indeed I thank you for the nice letter you posted about your stay.
As I told previous writers we have not put the prices up since 2007 and we are trying not to do so in the future. That's why rooms the all of them have the same price.
In fact the one who books earlier the better room will get.
I read that you have been very disappointed in the smaller room, but we've done our best to find you a room overlooking the sea and we couldn't do anything else.
All our rooms they have shutters just to make it dark in the morning, perhaps you didn't notice them in the smaller room.
Referring to breakfast you can read dozens of comments on TA saying that our breakfast is fantastic.
Thanking you a lot,
Hope to see you again soon,
Andrea
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 October 2013

The owner was very hands on with his guests giving some great advice on where to dine, drink and hike. He even had a good recommendation for dinner in Venice as well - our next stop after Monterosso. The room was worth the price although we really didn't stay in the room much. Breakfast was good... a pretty standard italian breakfast offering. The location was perfect! Just a couple steps across the street to the beach. They charged (over charged) for beach towels though so best to bring your own if possible.

Room Tip: It's not a hilton, no reason to chose a more expensive room over a basic one. it's the beach...