Hotel La Spiaggia
Hotel Souvenir(Monterosso al Mare)
US$166
US$162
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Villa Adriana(Monterosso al Mare)
US$210
Hotel Punta Mesco(Monterosso al Mare)
US$178
Albergo Degli Amici(Monterosso al Mare)
US$186
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Monterosso Alto(Monterosso al Mare)(Great Value!)
US$162
Hotel Villa Steno(Monterosso al Mare)
Hotel Pasquale(Monterosso al Mare)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel 5 Terre(Monterosso al Mare)
TripAdvisor
Suisse Hotel Bellevue(Monterosso al Mare)
TripAdvisor
Albergo Marina(Monterosso al Mare)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsandrea poggidaughter mariaglass of winecinque terretrain stationthe ritzwealth of knowledgerestaurant recommendationscovered terraceother citiesold townperfect locationupon checkyogurtlocal winesmall balconyair conditioning
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We spent another beautiful stay, 4 days, at La Spiaggia, our ninth consecutive yearly visit. Monterosso al Mare is, of course, one of the best places in the world to relax, and this hotel has the best location in town, but the real star, as usual, is the owner, Andrea Poggi. He is always helpful, always cordial, and is, in addition, probably the most knowledgeable person in the world on local history and lore, as well as being extremely well versed in Italian history, world history and culture, restaurants all throughout Italy, food in general, and many other topics - I always make it a point to converse with him for at least an hour a day when I am here, and I always learn quite a biy from those interactions. Be sure to follow his restaurant recommendations - they are always good - and his recommendations as to what to order at these places. His daughter, Maria, who does a great deal of the day-to-day management of the hotel is extremely helpful and friendly, as is Francesca, who frequently staffs the front desk. Breakfast, included, is very good, and there always seems to be a free glass of cool white wine waiting for arriving guests.

Cinque Terre is certainly one of the best places to visit in Italy. The hikes between the 5 towns are well known and sometimes very crowded, but we have learned from the staff of several hikes or walks that are not at all well known and are, consequently, pretty empty. Included in these are the hike over the ridge north of town to the next city, Levanto, from which one can catch a train back and the trail to which is highlighted by a little side trip at the summit to an abandoned monastary, and intersecting (also empty) trails to many other destinations in the Cinque Terre area, These are enough to keep an avid hiker or walker bust for several days, and one can usually get boat and/or train transportation back from most destinations. Worth special mention is the little known walk from Levanto to Framura, north of Levanto by two towns and about 7 kilometers. This walk takes the course of an abandoned railroad roadbed which has been paved and is restricted to pedestrians and bicycles, passing along the beautiful seashore inside and between multiple short tunnels (well lighted and nice and cool during hot days). One can take the hike both ways, or take the train from Monterosso to one end and train back from the other end. This walk is excellent for elderly or handicapped visitors since it is perfectly flat and well paved.

At any event, I cant recommend a stay more highly!

Room Tip: See if a room with a terrace or patio is available.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PDOPHTH
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We arrived one day later than expected due to a one day train strike. The hotel is conveniently located less than a five minute walk from the train station. They accommodated us quickly even though we arrived earlier in the day than expected. The room was clean and we were surprised to be given one with a fabulous view ! The owner was quick to provide us with train information between towns, as well as where to eat and what to do in order to maximize our short stay in the area. Breakfast was plentiful and had a great selection of anything you'd want, including gluten free options.If we go back to Cinque Terre (and we certainly will), will will be sure to stay at La Spiaggia. Many thanks to Andrea and Maria and everyone at La Spiaggia for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Ask for advice from Andrea or Maria for where to eat and what to do while staying in Cinque Terre
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank fordkidz
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I wanted to write a good review of this hotel, mainly because the young girl who took our reservation and who greeted us when we arrived was very nice. My feelings on the hotel changed quickly whenever I had an interaction with the owner. We had a noise issue in the middle of the night and to say he was indifferent would be an understatement, he was actually downright rude about it. I've dealt with bad customer service throughout Europe but this man was one of the worst. It made the whole feel of the experience there a bit negative. The location of the hotel is good since it's right on the beach but after experiencing the bad vibes from the owner I looked into switching hotels to the Porto Roca hotel. I was quoted a similar price for this absolutely gorgeous hotel on the cliff which is actually a better location since it's in Old Town and also right near the beach.

Overall, La Spiaggia has very very basic rooms with a rude owner. I would definitely stay elsewhere!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Lisa S
LaSpiaggia, Proprietario at Hotel La Spiaggia, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear Madame,
I was expecting a comment on TA from you and here I am to answer to you as anybody should do to people of your standard.
I noticed that on TA you posted 4 comments on 4 different hotels you stayed in in Europe and all of them are very negative.
I even noticed that comparing to the other 3 comments, you gave us the very best rate (2 points), so thanks a lot for that.
It does look as though in all the 4 hotels you found nothing but rude persons.
I can accept your comments about the fact that you have been disturbed by the newly installed alarm system which went funny at 11 o'clock at night. I'm sorry about it but it wasn't our fault and you've been the only one who complained among 30 guests in the hotel. But I did take steps right away.
You left a day earlier and I didn't charge you the 3rd night which was what you booked and it was my right to charge you.
I offered you a room with 3 beds and a big covered terrace overlooking the sea for the price of a double to make up for the disturbance that you said you had the first night.
I'm not very sure that our friends at Porto Roca offered you a room for the same price, as their prices (and you can check on the tourist board) are exactly the double. I doubt if you ever stayed there that night.
You can read on TA 400 letters boosting about my place and myself.
According to your reports you found rude people in Italy, rude people in France (both in Paris and Nice), rude people in Switzerland...I don't know where to suggest you to go on holiday, perhaps try Pakistan or even better Miami Beach. .
Ciao,
Andrea (one of the 4 rude owners).

Reviewed 15 April 2014

This place was recommended to us by a friend. In a recent visit to Cinque Terre, we looked up Andrea. He was very welcoming and offered up free wine, great conversation and more.

I have read some of the reviews that complained about "small rooms" and such. My only question for those reviewers is this: have they looked at the landscape where all of the hotels of the Cinque Terre are located? Of course the rooms are small. We visited all of the villages of the Terre and found all of the rooms to be very small. What can you expect, really? If you go to Cinque Terre, do not expect a large room. The buildings are hundreds and thousands of years old, clinging the the edges of cliffs that plunge into the Mediterranean sea. The buildings were built for efficiency in a very different time than ours. If you don't want to experience that, don't visit Cinque Terre.

As for the wine: we liked it so much that we packed some out. We were hiking, and we had to carry it all the way from Monterosso to Riomaggiore over the high trails. It added weight to our already heavy packs. But, it was worth it. Best wine we had in the area.

Room Tip: If you want to have an interesting conversation with a long-time native of the region, this is a great spot for you. You will appreciate your stay more if you have an interest in the original culture of the place. And, I would argue, if you don't have such an interest, a visit to any place in Cinque Terre is likely not for you.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MikeFry
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We stayed for two nights and sadly just walked in to reserve. The location is great and very convenient. The room was very tiny! Also I had to ask to have the floor cleaned twice as there was gum when we checked in! The walls are paper thin so we could clearly hear the neighbours conversation ( in fact we knew their itinerary!) We don't really care about breakfasts but this was really bad! No selection and stale bread! We went down two minutes past ten just to grab a juice for my 4 yo and there was no way they would accomodate. The front desk woman ( perhaps manager?) was absolutely miserable and very unhelpful. I would not stay again or recommend.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family