“Great location”

Hotel La Spiaggia
Niceville, Florida
“Great location”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I made the mistake of driving a rental car to Montorroso. After the somewhat harrowing drive from the A12, I was pleased that La Spiaggia was so easy to find in Monterosso. Private parking for the hotel was a blessing, and I was happy to leave my car for two days of exploring the Cinque Terre by foot and by water. The hotel sits right on the beach, and my wife and I were very pleased with our room's balcony and beautiful beach view. The room was clean and simple with an adequate bathroom and a small but functional shower. The staff was friendly and eager to please, with thankfully excellent English. Breakfast was also a treat, with a very nice spread of meats and cheese. The old town is a short and enjoyable walk down the road. We stayed two nights, which was barely adequate to see the area. Payment is in cash, but ATMs are abundant. The bathrooms tend to let you know when somebody else is flushing their toilet, but that is a minor annoyance. Overall I was very pleased with my stay here. My favorite memories are sitting on the balcony in the evenings with a bottle of one of the excellent local wines, enjoying the views as the sun faded.

Room Tip: Try to get a balcony overlooking the beach.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BoggyTom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Oviedo, Florida
Reviewed 12 May 2014

While researching Cinque Terre (CT) and all the hotels, thru Tripadvisor and all the reviews, I came across Hotel La Spiaggia in Monterosso. I called from Florida and reached Francesca. Just a few minutes on the phone with her, convinced me that this is the perfect place to stay in all of Cinque Terre. It's right on the beach, 100 yards from the train station (turn right). There is a small grocery 1 block away, and next door to that is a laundry, and for 13 Euros, they will wash and fold a giant load of your clothes, and deliver back to the hotel in a few hours. Walking in the hotel at Noon, I met Andrea (a man), and he had the staff clean our rooms so we could Checkin early. Very important note, the hotel has an elevator. The rooms are standard European, but the bathrooms are nice sized. Any ocean view room is a spectacular view from this hotel. We then met Maria (Andreas daughter) who has full knowledge of anything you may want to do. We hopped the water ferry, which is a 20 minute casual walk, and being on the far side of the "five lands", the ferry was a 45 minute beautiful cruise along the coast and all the towns. We disembarked at the far end and made our way back via train and all the town stops along the way, or we could have taken the fast train straight back the Monterosso. That night I had the pleasure to finally meet the beautiful, funny, and wonderful Francesca. She, like Andrea and Maria, is a wealth of knowledge for anything you want to do, eat, or see in Cinque Terre. For Example, Andrea sent us up the mountain to the Buranco Winery for a wine tasting. (10 Euro taxi). If you can only do 1 thing your whole trip to CT, go here! We expected a 30 minute tasting, and ended up staying 5 hours. It's known as being the best wine in CT, and we were the only people there. It is not a tourist trap. Its a hidden Gem. The food, wine, owner, and view is out of this world. Don't be afraid to ask anything from the staff at La Spiaggia. They speak perfect English among many other languages. They even give train schedules before you arrive and during your stay. I hope to return one day and see my new friends, Andrea, Francesca and Maria.

Room Tip: If you're traveling with more than 2 people, there are rooms on the 2nd floor that have very lar...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Patrick B
San Diego, California
Reviewed 8 May 2014

My boyfriend and I just got home from Cinque Terre. I have always had this city high on my must see list, so when we planned our trip to Italy I made sure we spend 3 days here. The hotel from the beginning was great, so helpful with train suggestions from Venice to the hotel, and just our accommodations In general. When we arrived, we were greeted with a warm smile and welcome. They also gave us a glass of the owner Andrea's white wine, which was decent. The hotel is literally on the Main Street facing the water and about a 1 minute walk from the Monterosso train stop which is so nice when you have luggage. The hotel itself is small and quaint. I wasn't expecting anything overly nice because it is older and I had already seen pictures. They price was great and reasonable for the location. Maria was so sweet and helpful throughout our stay, she gave a lot of recommendations and advice. Andrea The owner was always there and was interested in getting to know us and where we came from, before we left he gave us a bottle of wine to take home. We do wish they accepted credit cards because paying cash at the end was sort of a pain, also the bed was a little bit harder than I am used to... Other than that I can't say enough great things about this place. I will definitely return someday!

1 Thank Missterralynn
ARCADIA, CA
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We spent another beautiful stay, 4 days, at La Spiaggia, our ninth consecutive yearly visit. Monterosso al Mare is, of course, one of the best places in the world to relax, and this hotel has the best location in town, but the real star, as usual, is the owner, Andrea Poggi. He is always helpful, always cordial, and is, in addition, probably the most knowledgeable person in the world on local history and lore, as well as being extremely well versed in Italian history, world history and culture, restaurants all throughout Italy, food in general, and many other topics - I always make it a point to converse with him for at least an hour a day when I am here, and I always learn quite a biy from those interactions. Be sure to follow his restaurant recommendations - they are always good - and his recommendations as to what to order at these places. His daughter, Maria, who does a great deal of the day-to-day management of the hotel is extremely helpful and friendly, as is Francesca, who frequently staffs the front desk. Breakfast, included, is very good, and there always seems to be a free glass of cool white wine waiting for arriving guests.

Cinque Terre is certainly one of the best places to visit in Italy. The hikes between the 5 towns are well known and sometimes very crowded, but we have learned from the staff of several hikes or walks that are not at all well known and are, consequently, pretty empty. Included in these are the hike over the ridge north of town to the next city, Levanto, from which one can catch a train back and the trail to which is highlighted by a little side trip at the summit to an abandoned monastary, and intersecting (also empty) trails to many other destinations in the Cinque Terre area, These are enough to keep an avid hiker or walker bust for several days, and one can usually get boat and/or train transportation back from most destinations. Worth special mention is the little known walk from Levanto to Framura, north of Levanto by two towns and about 7 kilometers. This walk takes the course of an abandoned railroad roadbed which has been paved and is restricted to pedestrians and bicycles, passing along the beautiful seashore inside and between multiple short tunnels (well lighted and nice and cool during hot days). One can take the hike both ways, or take the train from Monterosso to one end and train back from the other end. This walk is excellent for elderly or handicapped visitors since it is perfectly flat and well paved.

At any event, I cant recommend a stay more highly!

Room Tip: See if a room with a terrace or patio is available.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PDOPHTH
Canada
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We arrived one day later than expected due to a one day train strike. The hotel is conveniently located less than a five minute walk from the train station. They accommodated us quickly even though we arrived earlier in the day than expected. The room was clean and we were surprised to be given one with a fabulous view ! The owner was quick to provide us with train information between towns, as well as where to eat and what to do in order to maximize our short stay in the area. Breakfast was plentiful and had a great selection of anything you'd want, including gluten free options.If we go back to Cinque Terre (and we certainly will), will will be sure to stay at La Spiaggia. Many thanks to Andrea and Maria and everyone at La Spiaggia for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Ask for advice from Andrea or Maria for where to eat and what to do while staying in Cinque Terre
2 Thank fordkidz
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I wanted to write a good review of this hotel, mainly because the young girl who took our reservation and who greeted us when we arrived was very nice. My feelings on the hotel changed quickly whenever I had an interaction with the owner. We had a noise issue in the middle of the night and to say he was indifferent would be an understatement, he was actually downright rude about it. I've dealt with bad customer service throughout Europe but this man was one of the worst. It made the whole feel of the experience there a bit negative. The location of the hotel is good since it's right on the beach but after experiencing the bad vibes from the owner I looked into switching hotels to the Porto Roca hotel. I was quoted a similar price for this absolutely gorgeous hotel on the cliff which is actually a better location since it's in Old Town and also right near the beach.

Overall, La Spiaggia has very very basic rooms with a rude owner. I would definitely stay elsewhere!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Lisa S
LaSpiaggia, Proprietario at Hotel La Spiaggia, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Madame,
I was expecting a comment on TA from you and here I am to answer to you as anybody should do to people of your standard.
I noticed that on TA you posted 4 comments on 4 different hotels you stayed in in Europe and all of them are very negative.
I even noticed that comparing to the other 3 comments, you gave us the very best rate (2 points), so thanks a lot for that.
It does look as though in all the 4 hotels you found nothing but rude persons.
I can accept your comments about the fact that you have been disturbed by the newly installed alarm system which went funny at 11 o'clock at night. I'm sorry about it but it wasn't our fault and you've been the only one who complained among 30 guests in the hotel. But I did take steps right away.
You left a day earlier and I didn't charge you the 3rd night which was what you booked and it was my right to charge you.
I offered you a room with 3 beds and a big covered terrace overlooking the sea for the price of a double to make up for the disturbance that you said you had the first night.
I'm not very sure that our friends at Porto Roca offered you a room for the same price, as their prices (and you can check on the tourist board) are exactly the double. I doubt if you ever stayed there that night.
You can read on TA 400 letters boosting about my place and myself.
According to your reports you found rude people in Italy, rude people in France (both in Paris and Nice), rude people in Switzerland...I don't know where to suggest you to go on holiday, perhaps try Pakistan or even better Miami Beach. .
Ciao,
Andrea (one of the 4 rude owners).
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 15 April 2014

This place was recommended to us by a friend. In a recent visit to Cinque Terre, we looked up Andrea. He was very welcoming and offered up free wine, great conversation and more.

I have read some of the reviews that complained about "small rooms" and such. My only question for those reviewers is this: have they looked at the landscape where all of the hotels of the Cinque Terre are located? Of course the rooms are small. We visited all of the villages of the Terre and found all of the rooms to be very small. What can you expect, really? If you go to Cinque Terre, do not expect a large room. The buildings are hundreds and thousands of years old, clinging the the edges of cliffs that plunge into the Mediterranean sea. The buildings were built for efficiency in a very different time than ours. If you don't want to experience that, don't visit Cinque Terre.

As for the wine: we liked it so much that we packed some out. We were hiking, and we had to carry it all the way from Monterosso to Riomaggiore over the high trails. It added weight to our already heavy packs. But, it was worth it. Best wine we had in the area.

Room Tip: If you want to have an interesting conversation with a long-time native of the region, this is a gre...
2 Thank MikeFry
#9 of 20 in Monterosso al Mare
Luna di Marzo
Luna di Marzo
#4 of 11 in Riomaggiore

Been to Hotel La Spiaggia? Share your experiences!