“Best bar in Riomaggiore”
Review of Hotel La Zorza

Hotel La Zorza
Ranked #27 of 32 Riomaggiore B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 June 2013

We did not stay in this hotel but every evening we would take our aperitif in the bar here and then take a drink after dinner. Guido and Ellena spoke excellent English and were helpful and accommodating. The (free) snacks that we were served with our Aperol Spritz were abundant and tasty. After dinner drinks were substantial and Guido's 10 euro grappa tasting deal was excellent and helped to decide which brand I ,would be drinking over the week. An excellent place to people watch and handy for several restaurants

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 May 2013

I went to a bar here for a rest stop. The facilities were spotless.

Directions: out of the station, through the tunnel, and up to the left to Bar La Zorza (on the right hand side of the street) for a clean toilet and a glass of Nero D’Avola (3E), served with a side of complementary potato crisps.

The young waiter deserves a special mention - he was delightful.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 November 2012

We had 5 days in Riomaggiore Cinque Terre in May 2012. During the day we would hike up into the mountains and in the afternoons we would call in to this bar for happy hour and wifi. The bartender Guido is very hospitable and friendly and makes sure you are well looked after.

Drinks are served with a lovely selection of complimentary nibbles. Perfect way to relax at the end of the day.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2012

My wife and I stayed in this hotel in September 2012 for 3 nights. We booked an apartment.

The location is quite nice. Just a short walk through the tunnel from the train station.

We got to the hotel, checked in and then the lady who runs the hotel told us that our apartment is on the 4th floor and there is no elevator. I was on Day 13 of a 17 day trip to Europe and had a huge, heavy suitcase. My wife had an equally heavy suitcase. Thankfully a man from the hotel helped us out with one suitcase. Our room was on the top most floor. You can call it the 4th floor, but in reality, from ground level it was closer to 6th floor.

I had to lug my suitcase all the way up and was bathed in sweat by the time I reached. This was the most unpleasant part of our stay at this hotel. I think for the price we pay, they should hire someone to help people lugging suitcases up and down.

Once we entered the room though, it was all good. Nice small apartment. A small sitting room, a kitchenette, a small balcony with a table and 2 chairs and a reasonably sized bedroom.

The bathroom though is TINY! I am a big man and I simply couldnt shower in the cubicle with the sliding doors closed. I had to keep them open just so I could shower properly. This was quite painful. I kept hitting the doors with my arms, shoulders, back and legs.

The lady told us that Wi-Fi wouldnt work in the apartment but it would work only in the bar/restaurant area. In fact we got a strong W-Fi signal in our room and it was quite helpful. And the best aprt was it was free.

The breakfast is decent. Since we were going hiking, we loaded up on the carbs and the sweet stuff!

This place is perfect for a stay in Cinque Terre. If you have come to Cinque Terre to hike, then this place is good. Having a room at the top of the hotel makes you think every time you leave the room. It is quite painful to walk all the way up just to retrieve a forgotten cell phone, key, cap or anything else you may have forgotten.

I would have happily rated this hotel 5 stars if they had someone to help with the luggage.

Room Tip: Please make sure you call the hotel beforehand and demand(not request) a room on a lower floor. The...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Nikhilbee
Reviewed 5 September 2012

I booked this hotel with traveladvisor and followed the reviews. We booked a double room for 3 days in August. The hotel is very good because of the following:

_Excellent location. It's right after the little tunnel you have have to go through after getting off the train.
_Room was clean, bed was confy, bathroom was clean, (however bring your own soap)
_Staff was nice and friendly. They offer one drink free, the other half as a welcome
_Breakfast included: crossants, little hams and slices of cheese, very sweet orange juice, little buns of bread, corn flakes,) the best of all, they prepare you a nice cappuccino!
_No curfew, They are the only ones opened until very late, they have a little bar downstairs.
_Room was very quite, walls are cement with high sealing, AC, nice little window facing cute little street.

Note: the rooms are all upstairs a couple of stairs to hike.

Room Tip: first floor double room unit 306 is a corner unti, very quite one.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ibelig16
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Our room had exactly 85 steps .We asked for a lower floor because we are in our 70's and they put us on the 4 th floor with no elevator,no one available to help bring our bags down on checkout.It was your worst nightmare

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank artisty
Reviewed 4 August 2012 via mobile

A group of friends stayed in 2 rooms. The triple was quite small but our twin was great. Close to train station we had a giggle each afternoon watching the dismay on peoples faces as they realized how steep the hil is to another accommodation. Perfect for exploring Cinque Terre!!

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Carol J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Riomaggiore
Hotel Villa Argentina
#9 of 19 in Manarola
L'Arcobaleno
L'Arcobaleno
#11 of 32 in Riomaggiore

Been to Hotel La Zorza? Share your experiences!