“good food and friendly staff”
Review of IL Grottino

IL Grottino
Ranked #8 of 44 Restaurants in Riomaggiore
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Whilst the restaurant doesn't have a view, the food is very good. I had the trofie with pesto and a tagliata, both of which were excellent. They also have a number of local wines by the half bottle.

The staff were very friendly and offered some suggestions about the area once I got talking to them.

I'd definitely recommend eating here.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

The restaurant is cozy and has few tables only. There were 2 servers so service can be slow when the place is full. We had the grilled seafood platter and the swordfish special and it was awesome! They had local white wines, which were very cheap and tasty. And since we stayed in Hotel Argentina, we even had a discount from the restaurant! I would definitely come here again!

1  Thank Charlene C
Reviewed 4 May 2014

great friendly staff and delicious local food - make sure to try different things
very good house red wine - so the cost ofthe meal was very affordable.

1  Thank loyahayes
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My friends and I wanted to have dinner at this restaurant, but when we stepped in, the server/manager looked at us and immediately told us that there was no space for a group of 7 of us and that we should head to the restaurant beside his for similar food. We clearly saw 7 empty seats in front of us. When we kindly asked to be seated in 4-3 arrangement and pointed to the empty seats, he didn't look happy at all but obliged. When we were about to order our food, one of my friends wanted to order a dessert but was told off by the same server that "This is a restaurant and if we wanted desserts we should get out and go elsewhere." He was extremely rude and arrogant, gesturing wildly at us. We decided to leave as it was unpleasant. To make it worse, he slammed the door shut just as we walked out. A terrible experience and real pity we didn't get to try the food, but the server's manners were clearly lacking.

2  Thank Lwy18
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I had limited expectations of any restaurant in this very touristy town. I was truly pleasantly surprised by my dinner at il grottino. We had the menu del journo, EUR 18 for two courses. The starter was a huge plate of fresh, perfectly cooked calamari and chips, followed by a pasta main course.

The food was the best I've eaten in Italy and it was in a tourist restaurant - so rare.

Great service too. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Korshka