“Absolutely Wonderful!”

and 1 more site!
Vento di Mare
Ranked #4 of 32 Riomaggiore B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 March 2014

The time I spent here was absolutely wonderful! I could not have asked for a better place to stay. Martha was so sweet and extremely helpful. She met me at the train station to help me up to my room and also gave wonderful recommendations as far as restaurants and how to spend my time. Although it is not a luxury resort, the property is absolutely lovely. The b&b is located right off of the main road in Riomaggiore, from which there is easy access to several markets, restaurants, the train station, and the marina. I stayed in the top room with a balcony and enjoyed spending my evenings and mornings relaxing on the porch before going out to grab a bite to eat and to explore the surrounding towns. The only downside is that breakfast is not served, however, there are plenty of wonderful places to grab a coffee and pastry in the morning and also there is a fridge in the room so you can keep yogurt and such in the room too. It was my first solo trip abroad and I felt very welcome at this b&b as well as in the surrounding areas. I highly recommend staying at this b&b for everyone visiting Riomaggiore! I will definitely be back in the very near future. Thank you, Martha, for such a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: Ask for the Libeccio room! It is the only one with a balcony. The balcony is a good size and comes w...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Thank P.J. R
MarthaLeandro, Owner at Vento di Mare, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

P.J.,

Thanks so much for the review! It was short, but had a great time getting to know you!
Good luck with the rest of your studies and definitely let us know if you come back!

A presto!

Reviewed 1 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here in late-October. After a grueling night train from Germany, we were looking forward to relaxing, but instead, we hiked the Cinque trails. We arranged everything via email with Martha, who is an American that is extremely nice and professional. She met us and another couple at the train station. The walk to Vento di Mare was about five minutes. I highly recommend a small suitcase or a backpack for your travels if you plan on coming and spending the night in the Cinque. The stairs are very charming but they can be a challenge w/luggage. Vento di Mare isn't up very far from the start of the stairs.

Once we arrived Martha knew we needed to get started on our adventure since we were only there for one night. She gave us maps of the Cinque trails was extremely helpful in pointing things out and what to do and about how much time it would take. She also gave us the train schedule and gave us very valuable information that we, as tourist, needed to know: there would be a train strike in the morning.

We stayed in the Scirocco room for one night. It was very comfortable and clean. The bathroom was large and the guesthouse is very close to a market that sells all kinds of stuff (highly recommend the pesto and wine!). All in all a great stay at Vento di Mare. I only wish we had been able to stay longer. Martha, was extremely helpful and very kind.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank R G
MarthaLeandro, Owner at Vento di Mare, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2014

Hey guys! Thanks for the fab review! It was a short one (especially with the early morning departure!) but thanks so much for coming to stay with us! Next time, a longer stay for sure!
Hope to see you two again soon,

Reviewed 28 November 2013

We were greeted at the train station by Martha's brother-in-law Leandro, who walked us to the B&B and was very personable and had great information to share with us. We stayed in the room on the top floor. It has a gorgeous view of the town and the medieval bell tower. We also had a wonderful little patio with table and chairs, so we ate breakfast there both mornings (breakfast was not provided). It also has a clothing line - very helpful! The B&B is right next to a local grocery co-op and several other shops selling breads, cheeses, and wonderful souvenirs. But of course, everything is very close by in Riomaggiore!

The room was wonderful, very spacious, and the bathroom was great, but the bed is very hard. Wasn't that comfortable. Other than that, we absolutely loved this place and would stay here again.

Room Tip: The top floor is the best view, and is very spacious. But the bed is not that comfy.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
MarthaLeandro, Owner at Vento di Mare, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2013

Hello! Thanks for the review!
I'm so sorry that we didn't get to meet, but very glad to hear that you enjoyed room Libeccio!
…And thank you for the input on the bed - Maybe we can add a mattress topper?
If you do come back to the area, please contact us - I'd love you meet you!

Reviewed 21 November 2013

My husband and I spent 2 nights at Vento di Mare in mid Oct. and the only thing I regret is that we didn't spend a week. Martha was an angel, her helpful information before we arrived and while we were there was invaluable and we also enjoyed spending time with her. As others reviewed her location from the train was very convenient and it was wonderful to be met by her brother in law. The room was very comfortable and it was very nice to have a balcony to sit on and take in the sites of such a lovely little village. The only thing that I missed, was to have a little coffee pot so that you could make your own coffee in the morning rather than having to dress and go out for it. After spending a month in Florence, my most memorable time of our vacation was Riomaggiore the Cinque Terra and the sweet time we had with Martha. You can't go wrong with the very clean and comfortable rooms that she offers to rest after enjoying your time in this very special place.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
MarthaLeandro, Owner at Vento di Mare, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2013

Ciao amici!
I have to say - We had such a good laugh together (the "i can't breathe" type!) - you guys are the best storytellers ever! Loved hearing all of your stories about Italy…
You'll have to come back for the walnut cake and the seafood cone!
Thanks so much for the review - Keep in touch!

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Martha our host was very efficient even before we got to her place in Riomaggiore. She promptly responded to our emails and gave us solid information about train times from Civitavecchia to La Spezia and on to Riomaggiore.
On arrival, she was there to meet us at the train station. From there it was a short and easy walk to Vento di Mare.
Her place is not fancy but very clean and had a very pleasant ambience. We had the room with the terrace which we used to have our own breakfast as the room had a fridge and a kettle.

The bakery, the grocer etc were all very close by and we supplied ourselves with milk, butter, jam, fruits, coffee, tea and cold cuts of ham, cheese and salami.

Martha was an excellent host and that warm hospitality makes the difference between a merely good stay and a wonderful one.

Many of the trails were closed when we got there but we took the boat to Monterosso and worked our way back village by village till we got back to Riomaggiore. That was really delightful.

Another day, we took the train to Corniglia, took the bus up, walked a wee bit in the hills in the vineyards and then walked back down to the train station.

A note to Canadian visitors. Our bank card (from Canada's largest bank!) only has the Plus and Interac symbols and that was problematic as all the ATM's in Riomaggiore and others we came across did not seem to be in synch with those. However, we survived by using our everyday VISA to "borrow" money from the ATM, something we would have preferred not to do.

Later in Rome, after visiting 9 ATM machines, we found one that had the Plus symbol.
What a relief.

We stayed 3 nights in Vento di Mare and would recommend it to anyone contemplating a visit to the Cinque Terre.

On departure, Martha's husband Francesco came to help us with our luggage and walked us to the train station.

We also met their two delightful children.

The Tehs from Victoria, British Columbia

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
MarthaLeandro, Owner at Vento di Mare, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Thank you, Teh's! I had so much fun with you both - I felt as if I had two friends visiting! :) Thanks for the laughs and the honest suggestions. Definitely keep in touch!

Reviewed 4 November 2013

There were 5 of us staying in 2 rooms. We stayed 3 nights at Vento di Mare. Martha was very friendly and helpful. Her two children were adorable. It is very close to the train station, so not much of a walk w luggage through town. The top most room had a quaint lanai which our group used very well for dining & hanging laundry. The rooms are not fancy but comfortable. There is a refrigerator but no cooking capabilities if you are wanting to cook for yourself. Access to local groceries & restaurants was great. Martha helped us w reservations and advised on hiking activities....all were wonderful. I would stay there again, definitely.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
MarthaLeandro, Owner at Vento di Mare, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Aloha Kathy,
Mahalo for the review! Loved hanging out with you and the ladies!
Hope to see you all soon… maybe even in Hawaii!

Reviewed 2 November 2013

We loved the Cinque Terre villages and staying at Vento di Mare was the perfect location for us. Martha was so gracious to meet us at the train station to take us directly to our villa. She told us all about the town and spent time with us going over train & boat schedules. We actually ran into her and her son while exploring the area as she was picking up her other child from school. Staying in Riomaggiore was perfect, because we were very close to the train station. We had traveled a half day via train from Venice so we wanted to rest a bit before exploring. Since there are 5 villages, we started at Riomaggiore and rode the train to Monterrosso and worked our way back. It was a perfect itinerary. At the end of our two days, we were so close to the train station so we grabbed a quick breakfast and got on our way to our next destination.

Things to know: Martha only accepts cash (as with most every vendor in the area), which was fine because they have plenty of ATM machines there. Also, when she meets you at the train station, we almost missed her. Maybe she could wear a big necklace, scarf or hat (something that stands out) so you see her right away. I don't think she would want to carry a sign! LOL We stayed there two nights and there was no cleaning service, which was fine for us. We didn't need it since we were there such a short time.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this place! Be prepared to walk up steep hills and lots & lots of stairs. We got our exercise, that's for sure and it was exhausting but felt great. I would not miss visiting Cinque Terre if you are planning a trip to Italy. Thank you Martha for being a wonderful host and offering us great prices for a very clean room!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Thank you, Terry, for the review! It was so nice meeting your whole family and I'm glad to hear that you had a good time in the 5Terre!
I'll definitely take your advice and wear something that makes me stand out at the train station - but you're right, I will not carry a sign! :) LOL. Thanks for the tip!
Say hello to Florida for me!
Grazie di tutto!
Martha

Also consider these accommodations in or near Riomaggiore
Albergo Marina
#11 of 39 in Vernazza
Ca' de Capun Camere Franco
Ca' de Capun Camere Franco
#11 of 19 in Manarola

Been to Vento di Mare? Share your experiences!