“Awesome spot, friendly staff”
Review of Il Borgo di Campi

Il Borgo di Campi
Ranked #8 of 32 Riomaggiore B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Great view, probably 10 minutes drive from the centre. Staff are great, rooms are awesome and clean, with aircon. Lots of stairs and a restaurant with delicious food! The buffet breakfast was quiet alright, not a whole heap to choose from but really fresh. Good value for money

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Jessica M

Reviewed 10 July 2013

Il Borgo di Campi is a mixed bag. We were a group of 9 staying in 4 different rooms, all with the same experience. The view is STUNNING!! Some of my favorite pictures of Cinque Terre were taken right from the patio outside our room or from the upper patio where we had breakfast and dinner every day. As stated before, you will have 200 steps to traverse so don't forget anything in your room! But every step is a new gorgeous view, so it's worth it. The other side of the story is the rooms. They were small, sad, outdated, and dirty. Our's had bugs. The towels were small and the showers even smaller. I just tried to think of it as camping and knew that I wouldn't be able to feel really clean until the next stop. Someone else mentioned the pillows but, unfortunately for me and lucky for someone else, I left my nice feather pillow in the room when we checked out. So I know there is at least one nice pillow in the place! I thought the owners were very sweet and enjoyed their service.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Janet6281
Reviewed 5 July 2013

If you're able-bodied and a bit adventurous, this is the place you'll want to stay in the Cinque Terre. The views both on the journey down the 200 stairs you'll take to your lodging and from your lodging's own personal garden space are spectacular and are THE reason you want to be staying here.

But you should know that it's NOT a hotel. Don't expect your room to be cleaned or to be receiving fresh towels every day. You're paying for an apartment that comes with a mini kitchen and a set of towels for the number of people staying. The amount of guests (all Americans) I heard complaining about the lack of fresh towels (over the 7EUR continental breakfast on the patio of the restaurant at the top of the mountain) was unreal. In fact, I heard a lot of complaining from other guests during my visit (also all American, interestingly), which I just could not understand. How you could complain about anything while you're eating a lovely, reasonably priced Italian dinner with some fantastic local Chianti whilst watching a picturesque sunset over the Ligurian Sea is beyond me.

If you're driving through the area, this is definitely the perfect place for you, as you're unlikely to be able to find any parking in the villages of the Cinque Terre. Free parking on the side of the road is guaranteed at Il Borgo di Campi. The limited bus service will take you into Riomaggiore where you can then go on to take a boat or the train to see the other bustling and compact villages. And then you get to return to the quiet tranquility of your lodging on the side of a mountain with vast amounts of privacy overlooking the sea.

If you don't want to carry your luggage back up the 200 steps upon your departure il Borgo di Campi, then just use the establishment's luggage trolley at 8:30am or 10am and meet your luggage right near where your car is parked. Simple.

My boyfriend and I had a studio apartment, which was compact but good. It was certainly what you'd call bijou, worn but charming. The window overlooking the sea was small but offered stunning views, and when the front door to the apartment was open it offered a brilliant cross sea breeze. The double bed was comfortable, but it has to be said that the pillows were a bit flat and deflated, which didn't lead to great quality sleep if I'm honest. When I visit again in the future (which I almost assuredly will), I'll probably bring a small travel pillow of my own. Even the economy studios (which I think were beneath us) looked like their private garden areas had amazing views. So, basically, in a nutshell, the views were what sold this place for me and my boyfriend. I'd rather have amazing memories of where I've been (beautiful, quiet and relaxing) rather than the room I slept in.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RissChris
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here..what was only going to be a one night stay turned into 3 nights! There were four of us staying and the unit was called the "Pervinca" It was comfortable and homey and we were able to do some of our own meals in the kitchen. There was a little patio outside the door which was furnished with a table and some lounge chairs, and you could admire the beautiful views, which were amazing!!! We also enjoyed the nice gardens and the many cats who hang around! If you have mobility issues or are looking for 5 star accomodations this may not be for you, but if you enjoy a place where you can kick back and relax and feel at home you have found the right place. The restaurant and breakfast were also very good. We took the path to the beach which said for "experienced walkers" as it was a hot day and we needed a swim, I don't think this would be for everyone though..it was quite a gnarly hike and steep and slippery in parts.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 June 2013

This place was definitely a highlight of our 6 week trip backpacking through Europe! We came to Riomaggiore from busy vernazza, and it was such a quiet and relaxing say. We were right on the hill with amazing and breathtaking views of the ocean, cliffs, flowers, etc. our place was so nice, you have to walk through their garden with flowers, plants, (they even make their own olive oil!) The room was like an apartment. There was a kitchen included and was very clean and comfortable. The restaurant was amazing as well. So good, and the staff was great. We spent awhile talking to Marco who worked their and couldn't have been nicer. The whole atmosphere is laid back, beautiful, and peaceful. Will definitely come again!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Carrie F
Reviewed 24 May 2013

If you're looking for a crowded experience within the town of Riomaggiore, this isn't your place, but it was one of the true highights of our 2012 Europe trip. The accommodations, though modest, are perfectly clean and comfortable, and the views from the terrace right outside our door were jaw-dropping, looking directly down onto the Ligurian sea and along the steep, terraced hillsides. Likewise the views from the excellent restaurant up top. Colorful flowers, friendly cats - an altogether beautiful property and great experience. An easy 10-minute shuttle trip into Riomaggiore makes it a perfect base for hiking the Cinque Terre.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We were pleased with our stay at Il Borgo, as it was a beautiful setting up in the hills overlooking the ocean. It's set up as a villa on a hill, where each room has a kitchenette and an outdoor garden area with a great view, swinging chair and table with chairs. We were only here for one night, which was not ideal as the bus from town to Il Borgo doesn't run frequently and we were only eating in restaurants, which meant both dinner and breakfast at the hotel restaurant (both of which were very good, but there wasn't the option to go elsewhere). I think it would be better if you were spending a few days or a week in Riomaggiore, as you could get groceries to make your own meals, and spend the days either in Riomaggiore or the other towns of Cinque Terre, and come back to Il Borgo for dinner/drinks in the evening.

Also, be prepared to go down and up a lot of stairs! If you're a reasonably fit person you should have no difficulty with it, but depending on what kind of bags you bring that could be a big pain.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a nice view and/or a nice garden view - we stayed in Primula, which was had no v...