“Great alternative to the crowded coast”
Review of Luna di Marzo

Luna di Marzo
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Riomaggiore
Reviewed 13 September 2009

In reply to earlier posts: Yes, the view is stunning, unbelievable, out of this world, gorgeous, what have you. And no, Volastra is not all that remote. The path to Corniglia isn't easy carrying a small child, but the shorter one to Manarola is an excellent mountain path. OK, it consists mainly of stairs. But it's doable in forty minutes, and that's two middle-aged, out-of-shape people carrying a toddler between them. Our muscles were perfectly fine afterwards. As for the bus, we took it often and it was always perfectly on time (even by our Swiss standards) and when there were many passengers, they even sent a second bus! Volastra is a tiny hamlet where people still grow wine and vegetables; they'd just started picking the grapes when we left. The relative scarcity of tourists is what drew us there to start with. And we don't understand an earlier poster's complaints about the family that runs the hotel; they're friendly and efficient. Warmly recommended.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
19  Thank Anna70Zurich

Reviewed 4 July 2009

This hotel is high up in the hills in valastra, the way up an down is by a long walk, bus or private car. we stayed 2 nights and only walked down once to monorola, about an hour, not an easy path but not too difficult. As with the previous reviews relying on the bus can be inconvenient due to the times and its around an 18 seater van so maybe peak times you may not be able to get on. The hotel owner was extremely friendly and seemed to run the whole place on his own. The view at breakfast is spectacular, breakfast is continental and eggs made up on request, the room are spacious and clean. Negative comment is that the walls are very thin, so for light sleepers take earplugs
Overall would recommend a stay here, even if only for the view. We only had food at one restaurant and this maybe the one the other reviews refer to - it was adequate, the staff didnt speak english very well.

Cinque terre is a fantastic place and the walks are the best way to experience all the towns, taking the train is not comparable - comfortable shoes are needed!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
9  Thank jmepani
Reviewed 5 June 2009

I found the B & B very isolated. My husband loved it and thought it was the best place we stayed at during our 10 day Italian trip. He extremely enjoyed the walk down to the sea. I HATED it and was sweating, tripping on rocks and getting pricked by the olive trees. It took us an hour and a half to get to the bottom. It truly was a unique experience I'd recommend for people who are in shape.
The one and only restaurant was great and the food was extremely delicious. Our waitress spoke perfect English and we got good service. I have recommended this b and b to 2 of our friends who are going to Italy.
Mostly, our room had the most spectacular view high above the sea.. truly amazing.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Jodi0
Reviewed 10 July 2008

Okay I have never written a review on a hotel, but my husband and I use this site religously as we travel around the world and I felt like this hotel deserved a new detailed review! First of all we aren't snobby, we aren't looking for the best, but we do love a little luxury and a good solid hotel and Luna di Marzo is just that.
First the Goods:
--The views from this hotel are breath taking...litterally. Just like all of the reviews said. I have been many places and the view from our room truly was one of the best I have ever had. We had a room with a balcony and I would recommend paying the extra 20 euros a night for the balcony. It was nice to sit out and have a glass of wine and the panoramic views.

--The owner tries very hard and does a great job of being very friendly. He's younger and speaks very good english and you can tell works so hard to make the hotel stay nice for everyone. His mom and dad help him and it was fun seeing his nephew play with him. We got stuck in another city due to a train strike and he came and picked us up--great customer service!

--It is so private and quite that it litterally feels like you are the only people in the world in the hotel. Very romantic.

--The rooms are a really good size for European standards!

--The parking is free and very convienet to the hotel.

--Breakfast was light but perfect so you could have room for a yummy italian lunch!

Now the not so goods (really just the slight imperfections that we wish we would have been told)
--This hotel isn't in Riggimore--it's in Volostra which is a town set above Monorola. In Volostra there is one place to eat. But that is part of the charm of this hotel and the privacy.
-Monorola (one of the 5 cities) is about a 15 minute bus ride or a 45 minute walk down hill. And it isn't an easy walk. I'm in my late 20's my husband in his early 30's...he runs 5 miles a day and I'm always at the gym and the walk down kicked both of us in the rear big time. Like legs shaking, he fell etc. It's random rocks as steps and through thorny olive tree fields on the mountain.
-The buses have a crazy schedule so you are sort of at the buses mercy and the schedule doesn't really marry up to the train schedule if you want to go to another city. You'll find yourself taking the bus down and waiting an hour to take the train. And the last bus of the night is at 10:30, so if your dinner runs a bit long you are just out of luck getting back up the mountain. You are really at the mercy of the bus.
-The rooms are really very basic, but that's okay b/c you are rarely there!
Overall I would recommend this hotel as long as you know what you are getting into and you are okay with the bus etc. You truly can't beat the views and the peace and relaxation of the hotel. Cinque Terre is magical! Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or would like to see more photos!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
23  Thank rockalum
Reviewed 23 October 2007

I was joining Polpetta's weekend and was in the very same room, so I cannot but confirm what she wrote (and i'm not willing to repeat...).
Just remark the price wasn't so cheap, nearly € 90 for just one night with a huge risk of bad weather in early October seem too much for average pocket users.
Anyway, if you like quiet and stunning places this is your choice for a week end. Away from crowd, the hotel is placed in the middle of nothing, in a small village called Velastra above the sea (around 300 mt.) that you can see beneath your nose.
I liked breakfast, but english typical food is damn missing...

P.S. = A special extra that made this place special was staying in the same room with Polpetta, but I don't think you can ask that dumb waiter ;)

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
12  Thank defrag1971
Reviewed 22 October 2007

We stayed at Luna di Marzo for a weekend at the beginning of October and it was really pleasant. The structure is new and has a wonderful terrace with a stunning view on the sea. The room was very spacious and in front of the bed there was a big window from which we could enjoy the view on the sea. Also the bathroom was very spacious and comfortable. Needless to say, everything was in perfect order and very clean. Breakfast wasn't memorable but had a good range of options. Also the manager was not that communicative. However, I would definitely recommend it for a peaceful and romantic stay at the Cinque Terre, since it is situated in a quite location off of the main touristic paths.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
21  Thank Polpetta1980
Reviewed 10 October 2007

I communicated with the manager of this hotel over email to book a stay in early October 2007. I had sent my credit card info to him to confirm my reservation, he then replied to that email with a different price, which was reasonable. I emailed back agreeing to the price. A booking was made...or so I thought.

Upon my arrival to Manarola via train, then a bus ride up to Volastra where the hotel is located, I was angered to find that I did not have a reservation. The managers explanation was that he didn't receive my credit card info...which he did, and I have the email to prove it.

The hotel did look very nice, spectacular views, but I would be wary about the reservation process.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank gibby46
Also consider these accommodations in or near Riomaggiore
Locanda del Sole
#18 of 20 in Monterosso al Mare
Hotel Il Saraceno
Hotel Il Saraceno
#1 of 1 in Volastra

Been to Luna di Marzo? Share your experiences!