“Try at least to pretend you want us in your place”
Review of Gianni Franzi

Gianni Franzi
Ranked #17 of 34 Restaurants in Vernazza
Price range: US$17 - US$27
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 30 June 2014

i have been to Gianni Franzi a few times but today was a low point. We reserved at 2.30pm. When we sat down the waiter told us to order fast as the kitchen closed in 10 minutes. so we ordered and then the food came out: boom, boom, boom. in the meantime the waiter and his surly team kept seating other people and telling them the same thing. The portions were small, the food was really average and the service was like a fast food restuaurant. This is my last visit to Gianni Franzi. The place we had so many good times in has gone bad.

Go somewhere they appreciate your custom!

1  Thank rackiec
There are newer reviews for Gianni Franzi

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We were here for Sunday lunch (with a reservation) - a great experience. Very popular and busy outdoor dining in the Piazza. Food was not outstanding but quite satisfactory. Service was good and attentive. Would certainly return.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Our waiter was terrible, we asked for vino rosa, he brought vino bianco, we asked for aqua frizzante, he brought aqua natural, wouldn't even look us in the eye. Our table of four was unimpressed with our meals. I ordered the pasta with shrimp ,after a few bites I realized it did not taste good, it actually upset my stomach. I told the waiter mine was terrible when he came to retrieve our plates. The only saving grace was we were not charged for my order.

1  Thank mtnview1
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We had just completed the Monterosso to Vernazza coastal walk and were in need of a cold beer and something eat.

I agree that staff don't welcome you with open arms but hey, the food is good and the view - well you can't beat it for people watching.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This is the first review I have ever written but felt so ripped off that I have taken the time to post in hopes that others do not repeat the awful experience.

I have read through the one star reviews and found what others are saying is very accurate. They were rude, abrasive, slow, inattentive, and definitely annoyed with tourists, however, if you are a local, they seam to treat you well. Our pasta dishes were expensive for lunch, the portions were extremely small, and there was very little sauce on them. I personally had the bolognaise sauce and would describe it as inedible at best. I took two bites and decided to go hungry.

Though the restaurant was 60% empty, we were charged a premium of 3 euros per person to sit at a table with a view even though they picked the table for us. We were not told in advance of this charge. In total for three people the charge was about 75 euro and we didn't even have any drinks or deserts.

It should have been a red flag that the other restaurants in this area were full and this place was about 60% empty. It definitely had a cute location but beauty here is definitely only skin deep.

One star is pretty generous for this place, but it was not possible to leave a lower rating. This restaurant gives Vernazza a bad name. I recommend going hungry rather than eating here.

1  Thank Kyle F