“Wonderful turned into nightmare.”

Affittacamere Rollando Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #38 of 39 Vernazza B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 June 2013

When we arrived in Vernazza we were very much impressed by the location and ease of check-in. We enjoyed the first night in our room, the bed was a little loud and uncomfortable and the street was loud also but we expected it to be loud, Vernazza is very small and the hotel was so close to the train station. We were excited because we got the suite upstairs with a room, a loft, and a bathroom. We were a little put off that there was a door marked staff in the middle, but we let it slide. We have lived in Europe for 5 years now, so we are experienced travellers. The first morning we were there we got up early got coffee and returned to our room. About 30 minutes after when I was in the shower, a lady walked up through our room into the laudnry room. My husband was in the bathroom shaving. We approached her and she said she was doing laundry (mind you she also had her child with her, who also got to see us naked.) We let it roll off our shoulders pretty upset but understood she had to do her job. It wasn't until my husband got in the shower, and I was dressing in our room (which had no locks on the door) a man walked up through the middle of the flat, while I was half dressed and proceeded to stay there in the linen room, until he saw fit to leave. We left immediately and will NEVER book there again. I can deal with a small room, a dingy room, a mismatched room but that kind of lack of privacy-- I can NOT deal with.

Room Tip: I would not reccommend staying here only because of our horrible experience.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Michelle S

Reviewed 21 January 2013

I must say that I have the fondest memories of staying here. We were lucky enough to have a balcony in order to view the locals and the tourists unabashedly. The directions to the reception area were precise and if we had followed them correctly we wouldn't have had the fantastic tour of the little town that we did! The woman in the little store where we were to check in was lovely. We even got little gifts! The bathroom was fantastic as far as Italian bathrooms go and I can assure you I had my share of very outdated Italian bathrooms in the 12 days of my trip; Even in hotels and villas that I paid far more for than this lovely little place in the heart of the action in Vernazza. It was very warm in May and I would rather have had the window opened, however the late night antics of those who mind the businesses in the small town enjoyed a robust night life. I wish my Italian were more fluent as I'm sure the conversation was entertaining. An added benefit: the door is right across the street from the ATM, it's the little things...
On an Aside: Bring ear plugs, don't expect a plush American hotel room, enjoy the food, and slap down your change for your espresso as the locals do instead of paying twice as much for your espresso as a tourist does;)

Room Tip: we actually went may of 2010, but are hoping to go back...I hope it's still standing!!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DonataRosa
Reviewed 8 October 2012

The room we had at Rollando faced the street. It was cramped and poorly laid out. You could not walk around the foot of the bed because one corner was jammed against the wall. You had to climb over the bed to get to the window. The TV was a cheap thing that, although it stuck out of the wall over the bed, could not be watched from the bed unless you stood on the bed. The shower leaked so that the floor was wet when we got out. There was a stove, kitchen sink, small fridge, utensils and table with 2 chairs... but we never made use of any of that. The woman who checked us in (you have to go to the gift shop a few doors down to check in) treated us as if we were going to skip out without paying - even after we paid. We came to Vernazza because we love it but this joint was a bummer.

Room Tip: Choose one at another hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Josh L
Reviewed 8 October 2012

We travelled to different parts of Italy on September 2012 and we enjoyed the places a lot including Cinque Terre but we were very disappointed with Rollando, Vernazza. It was difficult to find the reception for checking in and the stairs to the hotel room was very steep and high(very dangerous). Room was lack of ventilation, no air condition only a small fan. When windows open, it was very noisy! No clean towels every day, extra blankets in the wardrobe was stinking like not washed.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Babi57
Reviewed 29 August 2012

OK, so you're reading the reviews of Vernazza and the Affittacamere Rollando B&B. You'll get both positive and negative opinions from everyone as you read on.

Cinque Terre is extremely unique as the five lands are primarily all built on cliff side and they are joined by this magnificent walk way that over looks the ocean (what an incredible walk, do it!). With this being said, you're gonna walk stairs and sometimes they may be quite narrow. That's the way of life in this quaint community.

I read before our trip that upon checking in the reception was rude. We did not experience that at all. There were two young ladies, one fluent in both English and Italian, the other was learning English as I was learning Italian. We had fun practicing our skills. She escorted us to our room and showed us around before leaving. We had a sleeping area and another room with a day bed, fridge and small table, then of course the bathroom. We traveled in September therefore it was quite warm. But being a safe area and being on the 2nd floor, we left our terrace door open.

Here's another thing, the train station is conveniently located, meaning you can see it from your terrace. Also meaning you can hear the trains roll through during the night. Take a noise machine, or there is an app on iPhone called white noise. Purchase it, this will help.

But the location of this B&B is incredible. You are steps away from the train station and then steps away from the ocean and delicious restaurants! Plus there's a restaurant right across the street from the B&B where we had breakfast every morning.

While walking around Vernazza don't hesitate to climb the steps. That's how you get those fabulous views that you see all over the internet. If my husband would not have said, let's go up this staircase, I would have missed out on the colorful landscape.

One last thing, while browsing around reminding myself of Vernazza I learned of the horrific landslide they experienced in October, only weeks after we had visited. I continue to read that this strong community is working through the ordeal and trying to get their lives back on track. I encourage everyone to visit this incredible place. The hospitality is unbelievable and they could use your tourist dollars to get them back on track sooner. This was my favorite location visited in Italy and we stopped at Rome, Sienna, Florence and Venice as well. My heart goes out to them.

Room Tip: Take a noise machine to drown out the trains.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AliBug
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We have travelled all over Italy and we love Italy, but for the first time when we visit Cinqueterre, affittacamerere Rollando we was very dissipointed, Rollando is not a very nice place to stay, it is to much noise, they never changed towels. And the owners was not very interested in us as guests. There are many other nice rooms to choose in wonderful Vernazza.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tessaOslo
Reviewed 2 June 2012

We can't complain about anything, except that it is quite noisy - having said that, just about every accommodation place in Vernazza is close to the train line. The noise of the approaching and departing express trains is deafening. The apartment was terrific. Clean, well furnished and the staff were very helpful.
If you need somewhere quiet, maybe stay in Monterosso or Corniglia. The tradeoff is that most accommodation in those villages is quite a walk from the railway stations. We recommend this B&B, but wish it was quieter.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Crawfz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernazza
Hotel Villa Argentina
Casa Cato
Casa Cato
#3 of 39 in Vernazza
A Ca Da Nonna Di Callo Luca

Been to Affittacamere Rollando Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!