“Beware of Lulu Rooms (or whatever name they are now calling this property)”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Lulurooms Rooms and Apartments
Ranked #42 of 43 Vernazza B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Beware of Lulu Rooms (or whatever name they are now calling this property)”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

What a shock we received when we arrived at the Lulu Rooms apartment. It was nothing like the photos shown on Expedia.com – it was not a hotel nor even a rundown hostel it was worse. We should have realized that we were being conned when we arrived at the station to be meet by “Lulu” who insisted that we hurried up to get to the rooms. After dragging our luggage over the cobblestones and up a dark set of steep stairs, while being prompted constantly to be quicker, the demand for the fee in cash caught us by surprise but being a little frazzled after travelling from Griante (Lake Como) with three train changes we were rather tired and vulnerable. As soon as Lulu left in a rush we knew we had made a terrible mistake. The room was dreadful, the linen on the bed was old and ripped, the furniture looked like it was all recycled out of old homes and although the bathroom had been renovated it was poorly done. BUT the worst was to come when parts of the ceiling plaster started to fall down on us during the night. Imagine our surprise after our first night in the ‘hot box’ of a room to be coved in plaster dust and large chunks of paint peeling off the ceiling all over the floor. None of the appliances (other than the fridge) had wall sockets and we had to string an extension lead from the boiler across the kitchen area to plug in the kettle, plus the oven simply did not work. The place was constantly damp, noisy, terrible to get to and was not worth renting an any price. Avoid at all cost and go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Try looking for accommodation at Monterosso rather than Vernazza. The location has more choice of be...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

Please do not ignore this review or any of the other bad ones. We decided to give this place a chance regardless of the bad reviews but boy was that a mistake. We were taken to our room and met at the train station which was nice and in about 15 minutes we had gotten settled, unpacked, handed over our cash upfront, and were heading down the stairs to the beach. As we were heading down "Rosie" the employee who met us at the train station was coming back up the stairs with five other people and told us this wasn't our room and she would take us to our new room. We reluctantly agreed and followed her to an atrocious room painted all in red with one bed for three people with a disgusting bedspread and a shared bathroom. We had paid for a private bathroom and a kitchen. One of us got on the phone with the owner of Lulurooms and he was so incredibly rude and told us that we were inconveniencing him. We then and there wanted our money back and nothing else to do with this company. Rosie would not give us our money back and told us she had one more place to show us after the owner on the phone had told us there was nothing else available. We went with her desperately but the new place was a dark and dismal cavern in the wall. It took a lot of arguing and motioning to get our money back which we thought was completely unprofessional and rude and we got the hell out of there. Please do not book with these people it is not a legitimate company and they are frauds. There are plenty of amazing rooms with independent owners than are fair and accommodating. We ended up staying at Chiara Rooms in Vernazza and Chiara was lovely and so generous and really turned our stay around. Do not ignore this review just please for your own benefit find another place to stay. Thanks

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Zoecrosskarras

Travellers are raving about these Vernazza hotels

Reviewed 19 July 2013

Let me begin by saying, that this was by far the worst and scariest experience I have had in any accommodation. I have stayed at campsites, b&b's, hostels, apartments and hotels but nothing has been as disturbing As this one. I request you to read through this long review because I wouldn't want anyone else to go through what me and my girlfriend went through.

I should have known this was a scam right in the beginning, when I realized that the images shown for the room in Vernazza are identical to other rooms that have been advertised on hostelworld in different locations. Needless to say, our room was nothing like the images.

The checkin time on the ad said 1pm so we boarded a train from Milan to reach there just in time, when we called the owner on our way at 12 he said he was still cleaning the room so come by 1.45 and meet us at the vernazza station. We had no complaints, we walked around with our heavy backpacks and reached there on the time requested. He arrived after 10 minutes and then said we had to wait longer for his colleague to arrive from la spezia, by now there were other people waiting with us and the owner was courteous. 10 mins later When she arrived they decided to check in the others in a different room And then come back to check us in, we waited in the heat for another 15 minutes. Why the two of them could not divide the responsibility defeats me.

Moving on, the girl came back and led us to our room which was a minute away from the station. we climbed 4 stories with our backbacks to reach our room we realized the room was big but it had no aircon, no fan and infested with Mosquitos. First, we requested her to help us arrange fora fan, she responded with a blunt NO. She said no rooms in Vernazza have air con or fan after the floods, which was not true because we immediately called other rooms for options. Which were available at the same price with aircon. She called the owner.

The big hurly fellow returned but this time way more aggressive than when we met him last. We politely asked for a fan again. He started yelling at me and saying this is how the room is advertised. He went on to say " I was eating my lunch and you'll have called me 3 times" "I have been cleaning all morning". To be honest we called him once on the train from Milan, once when we reached and the 3rd time when we had a problem with the room... Is that wrong?

After this he shut the door behind us and started charging towards me in the room and says "you better pay the money". I replied saying there is no need to get aggressive I have already paid a deposit, he said it went to hostelworld so he does not care. He got even louder. I was traveling alone with my girlfriend and didn't want to get in trouble in a small Italian town so I had no choice but to say ok. I told him I'd pay and all I requested for is a fan, he said you have a balcony which none of the other rooms have.... so to get this straight, he was telling me how this room was ok by comparing it to his other rooms which are apparently worse. We paid the money and didn't spend anymore time in the room after that, also, the bathroom was dirty and shared by 4 other rooms. We stayed the night woke up a multiple times due to the heat, the mosquitoes and the noise of the train.

He completely ruined our cinque terre experience and I would strongly suggest - "avoid lulu rooms", hostelworld should really review the partners they choose more closely. We spent about 70 euro on the room and it wasn't worth even if it was free. It was so bad that I am actually taking time out on my summer holiday to write this long review, I really hope it helps.

Vernazza as a town is beautiful, a little crowded with tourists through. I would recommend manarola. I was traveling in July 2013 with my girlfriend.

Stayed July 2013
6 Thank rushitj
Reviewed 10 May 2013 via mobile

Landlord greeted us the moment we reached Vernazza by train. He helped us carry our heavy luggages up the very steep steps to the apartment. The rooms were in the centre of the town. Abit too nosiy as you can hear the train passing by from dawn to midnight but it's easy to get used to. The food stall directly opposite sells affordable pizza & kebab. In general, the stay was okay for me.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Zhi X
Reviewed 8 May 2013 via mobile

Yes it's obnoxious to pay cash upfront. Yes it's not luxury. But there was plenty of room for us as a couple for two nights. The location was amazing. And the host was waitin for us as we got off the train. It's hard to find places to stay in the Cinque Terre proper, and I was very happy with our decision to stay here.

• Stayed April 2013
Reviewed 1 October 2012

My mother booked these rooms only because nothing else was available, now I know it's better to just show up, there are plenty of rooms, all better than these. The train we took to get in was cancelled so we got there late, we were never given a phone number via email. Only the directions that the room is on the right in the Main Street. When we arrived we were told we had a room with a view of the water so we walked back and forth looking for some sign of lulu rooms, none exists. The owner of the blue marlin restaurant rescued us and ran from place to place trying to track down the owner. Eventually he came back with a worried look on his face, a phone in his hand, and told us that he had found us a room with someone else for the night if we wanted. Honestly, the staff at the blue marlin is the only thing that made the trip to vernazza worth it. On the other end of the phone is the owner of lulu rooms who says he sold our room to someone else when we didn't call, again we didn't ever get a phone number also the room was held under our credit card, but this owner likes to get all he can get. He says if we need a room for the night he left some keys in a flower pot at the top of some stairs and to pay the owner of the restaurant acros the way. The room is right above the train station and the only bar in town that never closes... It's loud. It's dirty, the bathroom isn't private. There's no tv, a plastic fan, and some dirty towels and a line toilet paper roll. It's more like a prison, all this at the fantastically overpriced 90 euros a night. Please I beg of you don't book this room, it will ruin vernazzas charm, and out money in the pocket of a shiesty crook.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Jbuggy654
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 18 October 2011

I reserved 2 nights in a room on Via Fontanavecchia with a balcony by giving Egidio 50 euros, cash on the street, 2 days prior as I was already in town. We agreed I would pay 95 euros per night for the room. This was the most expensive room I had in Vernazza. I was in 3 places over my 4 day visit because the town was still hopping at the end of Sept. He was 30 minutes late to meet me on my check-in day but he answered his phone when I called and came soon after. The room was not yet ready and I was told to come back in 30 minutes. When I returned the room looked clean (at least it had new sheets). The main issues were the saggy bed and no fan. I got used to not having A/C in Vernazza, but a fan would be nice. Especially because there are noisy ducks that live in the pond outside which makes it hard to leave the windows open all night. The furniture was fine, the bathroom a good size and I found it fun to have a large balcony to sit and sip wine on. One more issue was that the key for the door was very difficult to manage and you had to try three or four times just to turn it, which is a problem when you have to lock it with the key from both sides. Overall, a nicely decorated, basic room in a good location but I felt I overpayed.

Room Tip: Get the room on Via Fontanavecchia with the balcony. It's large and nicely decorated.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo