Trattoria Gianni Franzi
La Colonnina Hotel(Monterosso al Mare)
US$177
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Souvenir(Monterosso al Mare)
US$182
US$158
  • Breakfast included
Albergo Degli Amici(Monterosso al Mare)
US$225
  • Breakfast included
Hotel La Spiaggia(Monterosso al Mare)
US$224
Albergo Marina(Monterosso al Mare)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Baia(Monterosso al Mare)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Villa Accini(Monterosso al Mare)
No availability for your dates from our partners
Hotel La Pineta(Monterosso al Mare)
Hotel Punta Mesco(Monterosso al Mare)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewscinque terrevongoleclamscolorful umbrellasshared bathroomspiral staircasepastaan amazing viewwi ficashviewsseaterracetownshapelemonpiazza
Reviewed 17 November 2013

My wife & I stayed there for 3 days in September 2013.

When we checked in we were offered 10% discount for guests, in their adjoining restaurant . We took up the offer on the first night. When we were seated I told the waiter we were staying in their hotel. I paid the bill (for an overpriced & ordinary meal) but didn't notice until the next morning that there was no discount on my bill.
When I pointed that out to them the woman in the bar (reception) said 'you're too late, that was for last night' & turned her back & kept on cleaning the glasses or whatever.
I fully expected an apology & a refund or 'we'll take it off your bill when you check out'

Some crossed words were exchanged, the waiter then came across & got involved. The issue for me became more than the discount. He finally relented & stormed over to the bar & thrust the money in my hand.
It put a real dampener on our stay.
The staff in the bar/reception Trattoria Gianni Franzi are extremely rude & unprofessional.
No 'welcome to Gianni Franzi or no 'hope you enjoyed your stay'.
I would not recommend this place to anyone.

PS The breakfast host & the cleaning staff are fine.

Room Tip: Stay in Monterossa, not Vernazza. Too popular, too small , too crowded.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TareeGreg1105
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Of all of the 5 towns in the cinque terre, we loved Vernazza the most by far! We were really glad we stayed there. We went to the hotel bar and said we were checking in. At that point, a bartender walked us up some never ending stairs to our building. If you stay here, dont bring a rolly suitcase, and stretch those quads a bit before checking in. Im pretty chunky and made it just fine though :) The room was a nice size and the bathroom was squeaky clean. Downsides: the bed was a bit hard and the shower was almost too small. One of our favorite aspects of this place was that it had so many separate spaces. There is a terrace for wifi with tables and chairs, another balcony for enjoying wine during the sunset, and a pretty amazing breakfast nook overlooking the sea. The breakfast that came with the hotel was delicious. It included use of a coffee/cappuccino maker, deli meat, cereal, some kind of baked pastry, yogurt, and cheese. The hotel's restaurant was right in the heart of Vernazza with a dining terrace in the main square on the water. The food was tasty and if you say you are staying in the hotel, you get a discount.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2013

There may be no finer location in Vernazza than one of the balcony rooms at Gianni Franzi. The beds squeak, no breakfast, staff indifferent, repairs needed in many areas. I would stay there again as the outside terrace is a once in a lifetime experience of the Med but do not expect ANYTHING from the staff. The lights went out one night during a rain storm but getting a candle or whatever was not on. After the rainstorm, there was NO notice that the water system had been breached and we should not drink the water....this in a 50+room hotel. In all the places we stayed in Italy, this was the one with the most unpleasant staff. Too bad too, as this property was our longest stay in the country. They are seriously sick of tourists and unable to act professionally. (IE: provide service with a smile.)

Room Tip: If you do not get an outside room with a balcony, stay elsewhere....the rooms with a private bath across the hall are ok, but not nearly as nice as insuite.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We visited the hotel last month due to a review of the Slow Food book "Osterie d' Italia. We have usually been very fortunate with this book's recommendations. This one however, was completely off the mark. The pension (this is not a restaurant) is in the middle of nowhere with a nice view. The review in the Slow Food book states that this is a famous hotel with original art etc, etc. The reality is that we were greeted by staff who were really unfriendly in a bar downstairs. We had to climb many steps (probably over 100 steep steps) without any assistance for my wife and son. The service overall was very poor and the quality of the room was terrible. Many youth hostels are better that our triple room. The bathroon was full of mold and unsanitary. There was no air conditioning and we were provided with a very weak fan when we requested it. We spent two nights braving the heat and mosquitoes. We actually cut our stay short and requested a refund which was obviously not granted by the pension staff. There are many great places to stay in Italy and this is definitively not one of them. I think that the Slow Food book should review the hotel periodically because I read the the same review a a previous edition.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Great location if you want to stay in one of the quieter areas of Cinque Terra.. Perfect area right by the water. Breakfast was very nice on a lovely terrace with a great view. Does have a lot of stairs but we found most things in Europe do. Only negative is I think the staff are very busy and it would help if they had seperate check-in area. The girl who showed us the room told us to hurry up because she had to get back downstairs. Room was not fancy but clean and roomy. I did leave something behind when we checked out and they were very helpful and sent it to me in Rome.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple