“Mosquitoes and dingy rooms”
Review of Hotel Major

Hotel Major
Hotel Major
Ranked #47 of 91 Hotels in Genoa
Singapore
“Mosquitoes and dingy rooms”
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I have proven to my wife that even sound proof windows couldn't stop mosquitoes from attacking us in this eye opening hotel. Yes, it's family run, yes you get the real Italian signora treatment - loud, proud and unfriendly. The room we got was stuffy, sheets were bug ridden and had eccentric lights which only worked during the day. It's clearly the rooms were not properly cleand and ventilated as there's this lingering smell which is still embedded on my backpack. Was planning to stay for 2 nights but decided to pack up and head to Milan the next day instead. It's near the red light district, so go figure the location. Of all the B&Bs and hotels we stayed for the 1 month, this ranked amongst the worst. There were many more 'cheaper' hotels and B&Bs which are better, cleaner and friendlier. Only for the adventurous few who seek discomfort traveling

Room Tip: Find another hotel, seriously.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Melbourne Australia
Reviewed 27 June 2012

I am pleased to report that the babies mentioned by an earlier reviewer appear to have grown up somewhat and the only children I could see were of primary school age
This is quite clearly a family run hotel, and the family quite clearly lives here
Once you get your head around that you'll hardly notice they're there!
The location is great, right in the old part of town
But as a result the building is old, musty, sparsely furnished, and lacks an elevator
If you have trouble lifting your suitcase then I recommend you stay elsewhere
There didn't seem to be that many patrons but I was still given a room on the 4th floor which irked me greatly
On the other hand the room was clean and spacious, the common shower clean, and a PC was provided in the lobby for free internet access

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 2 June 2011

We stayed there just for one night coming from Cinque Terre.
Good Location, near the train station and to the main sites of the town.
Staff: a typical italian family: babies and loud talks at the entrance.
The beds are the top for the hotel; mattress excellent and the windows are sound proof.
There wasn´t a frigo in the room.
Breakfast was good.
You´d better call in advance to confirm time of arrival

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
California
Reviewed 4 August 2008

No hotel experience quite compares to the Hotel Major in Genova. I booked the hotel for 2 friends from California who were coming to visit me for a week in August. The day that my friends arrived at the Hotel, I called to ensure that everything was still okay with the room.

The signora who answered the phone began shouting at me that two people (she used the term "crazy people", who did not have my name, were claiming my reservation. I apologized profusely for the confusion and asked only to resolve the problem. "Resolve it with your friends not with me" she said, "Good Evening, Sir."

I called my friends and they informed me that they had been put in a terrible room with malfunctional lights and that the signora had yelled at them.

I tried to call the signora back to confirm that my friends would be able to stay for the 2 nights they had planned to stay in Genova, but when she picked up the phone and I said it was me, she told me not to call again--and hung up!

Once again I called back (and I stress that in all my conversations I remained humble, polite and above all penitent about the case of mistaken identity, remaining optimistic that we could come to a mutually satisfactory solution), and she told me that they could stay but they would get no discount and breakfast would not be included as previously agreed.

My friends decided to find a room elsewhere.

Thus, while the rooms are a bargain (at around 60 EUR a night for a double), the surly service far outweighs the discount.

• Liked — The price of the rooms
  • Disliked — The worst service I've ever seen in my life.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank zoltan115

Travellers are raving about these Genoa hotels