“Great stay in a beautiful city”

Comfort Hotel Europa Genova City Centre
Ranked #57 of 91 Hotels in Genoa
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We walked to this hotel in about 5 minutes from Genoa's main railway station.

Check in was efficient but not overly friendly as the receptionist did not speak much. We were given a free city map.

The room was fine. The bed was comfortable. There was a safe, there was tea/coffee making facilities.

There was a great view over Genoa from the window.

Breakfast was very good. The tables were beautifully set with flowers and candles. I'm not sure if they always are, or if this was special for New Year's Day. We had tasty bread, delicious cold meats and cheeses, cereals, cakes, lots of coffee.

The location of the hotel was superb, we could easily stroll into the old town and down to the harbour. We were also near the main station.

On the walk back from the old town we passed several supermarkets. There were many restaurants near the hotel.

Our free internet access worked well. We slept well. I would happily stay here again.

Check out was efficient.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank irenemHongKong

Reviewed 28 October 2013

The great advantage of this hotel is its location within a very short walk of Genova PP Station for an overnight stay and the value for money. The location is also something of a disadvantage if you intend to spend some time in the city as it is a little way out from the main centre of the city, and I suspect there are better options. Also in my view there is a dearth of good value restaurants in the area, and limited eating options.

Having said this there was nothing wrong with the hotel and reception was helpful and polite. However, the room, which was spotlessly clean, was a little tired but perfectly acceptable for an overnight stay. We felt the price we paid made the hotel good value for money and although the breakfast was nothing special it was certainly adequate and again, as it was included in the price made the value very good.

In summary, we would stay again if we required an overnight near the station and would be happy to recommend to others on this basis, but if intending to spend longer in the city we would probably look elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Silvertravelsurfer
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We found the staff quite helpful & the hotel is very well located - close to the main train station (Piazza Principe) and around the corner from Via Balba, which is one of the main streets on the edge of the old town. But the rooms are long overdue for a spruce-up, and the walls are a little on the thin side - the TV next door was pretty loud. Okay for a brief stay but don't expect too much.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank martinhaddelsey
Reviewed 9 January 2013

Booked this hotel last minute due to an itinerary chance because of an Italian rail strike! The position was ideal only metres away from rail station, and bus stop to airport.
The staff were pleasant and helpful, recommended a restaurant next door (fabulous) and gave me a city map with ideas of what to see within walking distance.
The rooms were in need of a re-vamp but the bedding etc was clean and I got a good nights sleep despite being right in the city centre as this hotel is tucked away down a narrow lane! The heating was adequate but I didn't trust the safe as the whole thing could be lifted out of the wardrobe!
Breakfast was a bit sparse on choice but what they had was fresh.
Would have scored 3 stars, but the position and the staff earned that extra one!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank SilverNomad04
Reviewed 26 October 2012

I came in with low expectations based on reviews of this hotel. As a sidenote, I never leave tripadvisor reviews on hotels (this is my first) and am only leaving this because I was so disappointed with this hotel. Our hotel confirmation said that we could check-in by 1pm. We arrived and our room was not ready until close to 2. In a response to my complaint e-mail, I was told check-in was not until 2 (but this conflicts with my room confirmation). The room was old and dilapidated (which was expected). I was not expecting hair in the sink and on the toilet. I was not expecting a stained rug and crumbs in the corner. The light to the room was dim at best, and we could barely see. When I asked the front des about this, I was told that it is a "low energy light", and I needed to leave it running for 45 minutes before it would fully light up. I left it on for 6 hours, and it never got brighter. In a response to my complaint letter, I was told that this is as bright as a low energy light gets (which conflicts with what the front desk manager told me). Finally, the bed was hard and sunk in in certain spots.

To justify there 1 star, I will give them that they are located about 3 minutes walking distance from the train, which is extremely convenient if you need to get an early morning train.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mark G
Reviewed 15 September 2012

All in all is good for the price. Location in the city center. Close to the main points of interest. Has the own parking!(15 Euro) Good breakfast included. Rooms clean not small, not big. Windows view on backyard.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2012

This Hotel offers the essentials and nothing more. But! adequate if you are only spending a couple of nights....even a week. It is clean and the staff is friendly [and no hassle checking in or out] We spent 2 nights in July 2012 on our way to the French Rivera and it was to our advantage ....This hotel is located in a very safe area and close to all the main attractions, and not to mention the train station just minutes away. We do not have any complaints to report, you simply get what you pay for…..the breakfast made up for all that is missing. For us a charming little hotel on a quaint quiet street in Genoa.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family