“Feel like at home”

Hotel Continental Genova
Ranked #8 of 90 Hotels in Genoa
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Continental Hotel is one of the most pleasant hotel I've ever stay in Genoa. I do hope to return by the hospitality and enjoy the kindness of people at Tratalero restaurant. Greatings from the land of sunlight, barbecue, football and carnival: BRAZIL!

Room Tip: The best rooms are those right in front of the Central Station.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mucio W

Reviewed 3 January 2014

This hotel and staff were absolutely fabulous! It is conveniently close to the train station and a pleasant 10-15 minute walk to the piers, aquarium and plenty of restaurants. The staff was very helpful in giving information about Genoa and how to get around the city. Our room was spacious and both room and ensuite bath were exceptionally clean. Nice amenities - soaps, shampoo and slippers. The hotel itself was clean and attractive. Our room faced the front of the building, so outside noise was to be expected, but nothing out of the ordinary - normal city (cars, motorcycles and people walking/talking) sounds. We did not have breakfast here, but heard it was good from other guests. I would love to stay here again in the future!

Room Tip: We were in a front room on the 2nd floor, so normal city noise. Nothing out of the ordinary, but if...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ursula O
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Lovely older style hotel in good order. Large rooms with very good beds and furnishings. Quiet and dark with electric roller blinds, heaven. Good location especially if you come by rail it's right over the road from the station. Easy walk to the historical centre. Short taxi ride to ferries. It's a good sign when there's free still or sparkling water just inside the front door. My only complaint is the poor WiFi reception and the fact that it's not secure.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank keithy3242
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I understand it is a historical hotel that I cannot expect any grand new facilities inside. However, it was really to my surprise once I entered to the room. The rm floor height and size of windows were so high to give you spacious environment. The floor was coveredy marble rock. The toilet was clean and big. Two decent pairs of green slippers were provided. The double bed was huge. I couldn't demand any more with what I paid only around HK$7xx.
The histroical lift was exactly what I love, which brought me to the past. The receiptionist was friendly. The fresh green apples were provided in the lobby. The most thing I regretted is that I didn't have time to have bft in the hotel as I had to hurry for train early in the morning.
The world is big that I still have a lot of places to go. However, if I can have a chance to drop by for my next trip, I would like to stay here for at least 2 more nites. Besides, I do love the city of Genova.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jesguby
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We dithered about booking this hotel. Other reviews stating it was 'tired', etc., and not super great reviews of Genoa as a city. Our dilemma was that we only needed a hotel for a few nights as we were training in and out of Vernazza, using the Genoa airport to fly from. It was also our anniversary, so we weren't sure if we wanted a purely functional hotel, or something 'nice' like the Savoy (sister hotel) next door. We booked through Expedia, as there was free cancellation in case we changed our mind.

So why stay here?

LOCATION - cheap shuttle from the airport to the train station, which is directly accross the street from the hotel. Easy to see and walk to. There are many restaurants/pizzerias/gelatarias by the hotel, so food was never a problem. Many places were more than happy to offer pizza 'to go'. Surprisingly some of the best pasta (truffle, anyone)? the nearest pizza place accross the street at a reasonable price. Walked to the Aquarium (about 20 mins, relatively easy with a map), and the Palazo Principe (I think) was just down the street, about a 10 min walk. Go see it - there were maybe 10 tourists in the entire building, so it was like having this majestical building to yourself to explore.

ROOMS-clean, great air conditioning (HUGE plus for Genoa in the summer). Requested a high floor overlooking the train station. Pretty view both day and night, and no noise issues. Surprising up to date TVs in the room.

HOTEL-simple, classy, elegant. Elevator old fashioned (in a good way) and reliable. However, easy to take the marble staircase as there aren't that many floors. Air conditioned lobby with sofas, and complementary water/fruit a huge plus in humid Genoa.

STAFF-friendly, well spoken, and helpful. Always the hellos/goodbyes and offers to help with site seeing. They also stored our luggage safely with no problems, while we were in Vernazza for five days (only wanted to take a minimal amount for train travel/stairs). Pleasant surprise with our anniversary - complementary bottle of champagne when we returned.

BREAKFAST-again, a pleasant surprise. Strong, unlimited coffee, tea, juices, water. Usually two cakes (these were quite dry). Cantalope and other fresh and syruped fruits. Assorted breads, cheeses, and cold cuts, including proscuitto (yum!). Tomoatoes and hot stations (eggs, if I recall) as well. Considering this was included in our room price, great value.

In sum: great location, easy walking distance to most sites, accross from train station, solid breakfast, good value for dollar. Glad we picked this over the pricey Savoy next door.

Room Tip: High floor, accoss from train station gives lovely views.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ukiegirltravels
Reviewed 25 November 2013

probably one of the most enjoyable stays I have had in a hotel. This gem of a hotel is situated in the heart of Genoa handy to the cruise ship terminal. The executive room we stayed in was top class. We loved the 1930s lift - in top working order! - which has been retained as a an attraction and adds to the character and decor of this lovely hotel. The staff are helpful and friendly and the free breakfast buffet is out of this world!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2013

This is a top notch hotel at VERY reasonable prices. Conveniently located across from the train station, which in Genova is a very safe area. You can walk to Centro Storico and Caruggi District and the Port. I was traveling alone and felt completely safe even at night in the area of the hotel. The room itself was beautiful, the bathroom fantasticl, all very clean and modern. The original elevator adds character and the staff was very helpful and welcoming. Genova is an underrated city with lots to do.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo