“Why is this restaurant rated highly?”

Shapla Ristorante Indiano
Ranked #138 of 2,111 Restaurants in Genoa
Price range: US$12 - US$29
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 8 June 2013

This restaurant is not Indian by my standards, it was more like mild stew, the portions were tiny, we had a chicken curry and there were 4 pieces of chicken in a tiny dish at a high price.

Avoid this one.

2  Thank erisoov

Reviewed 8 April 2013

I have been to Shapla several times since it opened. I am originally from Genoa but I do not live there anymore, love Indian cuisine and love eating in general. Recently I have been there twice in a row, both times it has been great.
I had vegetable samosas (curried potatoes and peas pastry parcel), peshwari naan (naan with almonds and mango) and a vegetable bhuna (drier vegetable curry) one night and a vegetable balti (tomatoe-y vegetable curry) the second night.
My husband had a lamb balti (tomatoe-y curry) the first night and a jalfrezi (peppers and onions, somewhat drier) the second, plus plain naans, rice and a tandoori lamb for starter.
My mum had samosas for starter and a chicken vindaloo as main dish.
Everything was very nice, especially the samosas, the vegetable bhuna and the jalfrezi.
Personally I find that in too many Indian restaurants, including Shapla, the tomatoe-y curries (Balti and Vindaloos, typically) use too much tomato sauce ending up in a less defined flavour, but they were nevertheless nice and almost as hot as you would find them in the UK (I have never been to India...)
The salty lassi was also nice, as well as the pistachio kulfi (super-creamy ice-cream) and the masala chai (spiced tea)

2  Thank Chiara G
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Slightly inside from main road,good ambiance, Not so costly, staff was friendly, we ordered Veg food, portions were small, test was not up to the mark, i will say below average, had very high expectation due to the reviews we read on TripAdvisor, but slightly disappointed. overall not so good experience.

2  Thank Aniruddha A
Reviewed 1 September 2012

After a week of pizza and pasta it's heavenly to eat something different.
Food was good but portions tiny (4 piece of chicken in the chicken curry) and expensive for what it is.

1  Thank 244,065,013
Reviewed 17 August 2012

I have been there for one day..
This is a very good restaurant, run by the Bangladeshi.
But the taste was very excellent , and they made it as per my requirement.
Nice service very friendly.
So i always prefer this restaurant if I o ti Genoa again.

1  Thank Rajeshvjohn