“Spectacular Ice-Cream!”

U Gelato du Caruggiu
Ranked #1 of 99 Dessert in Genoa
Price range: US$2 - US$24
Dining options: After-hours
Description: U Gelato du Caruggiu is a typical italian ice-cream shop: ice-cream is prepared following the traditional italian recipes. We offer a varied selection of cream and fruit flavours made with fresh and local ingredients. Great success for the selection of alcoholic flavours and for all the popsicles we created.U Gelato du Caruggiu è una tipica gelateria italiana: il gelato è preparato seguendo le ricette della tradizione italiana. Offriamo una selezione di diversi gusti alla frutta e alla crema, tutto preparato con ingredienti freschi e locali. La nostra selezione di gelati alcoolici hanno avuto un grande successo, così come per i nostri ghiaccioli.
Reviewed 3 June 2014

A post-dinner pit-stop brought us to this tiny ice-cream shop that hides a pearl in matters of taste. I took an hazelnut ice-cream so good and if I wasn't that full I would have bought a second one! Advised!!

Reviewed 18 May 2014

This hop includes most popular ice cream flavors and it has the most delicious ice cream in Genoa, Italy

Reviewed 25 April 2014

I love the creativity and selection of flavors. The flavors are very intense and fresh. The orange was fantastic. I also liked the rosemary.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

I'll admit that we only went here because of the reviews on TA. You'll need a city map to find it as its tucked down one of the tiny side streets not far from the cathedral. To be honest I'm a bit of a fraidy cat & fund them a bit intimidating but they're fine during the day.
We weren't disappointed. The two of us had a double scoop of 2 different flavours in a waffle cone each. Having devoured copious amounts of ice cream during our two weeks in Italy this was by far the best. I cannot disagree more with You BeeTs who says it had no flavour - the depth of flavours was really good. I make ice cream myself at home & know how difficult it is to balance depth of flavour and its even harder when using real ingredients rather than flavourings.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

We stumbled into this gelateria owned by Moreno & Barbara, a charming husband & wife team - and we were not disappointed in the least. The artisan gelato is freshly made with real ingredients (not flavor extracts), and interesting ones at that (rosemary, ginger, Baileys, Crema di Whisky, etc.). Traditional flavors are a-plenty too, including a dark chocolate made without milk, but as creamy as they come. Worth seeking out & worth a return trip ;-)