“perfect hostel”
Review of Manena Hostel

Manena Hostel
Ranked #3 of 70 Speciality Lodging in Genoa
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This hostel has everything that a traveler need: a clean bed, modern kitchen with plenty of utensils and various accessories, friendly receptionists, WiFi and laptop to access the internet, lovely toilet and shower rooms.
Location - in the heart of Genoa, between 2 stations and close to the pedestrian street.
Thank you for comfort.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed 20 August 2013

First off, if you're traveling round Italy and thinking of going to Genova, take my advice and don't bother. If you do end up visiting, I'd highly recommend you stay away from this hostel.
I wouldn't say this place is overly difficult to find (there's a pretty big bright sign outside), but it is in kind of a dodgy area. The communal areas were fine and the guy who checked us in was lovely, up until the middle of the night when some drunken guy was sick all over the tiny and overcrowded room, including all over my friends phone, which is now broken as a result. There was no air conditioning so the place began to stink, and the guy in charge did absolutely nothing to help. He even tried to stop us from going outside to smoke, claiming that the hostel was closed as it was past 1am (they have a really unnecessary curfew time), even though he was very much awake and could easily have let us back in. He just walked around shouting and screaming at people for being out of bed and not staying in a vomit infested room. We ended up sleeping on the couch of the lobby all night and left a day.
A bad experience doesn't make a bad hostel, but the staff could have easily resolved all of these issues. Oh, and the bathrooms were the dirtiest I've seen in any hostel I've stayed in so far.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank samlol4
Manena_Staff, Manager at Manena Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Dear guest,

I'm very sorry for what happened to you and your friend and I personally understand that an accident makes things look much worse than they are, but, honestly, I was shocked as I read that I dind't help at all and just screamed at you when you get out of the hostel. It's even more offensive 'cause after refunding your money and showing all my apologies for something I wasn't responsible for, you just wanted to blame us. That's all.

When I first entered the dorm to check out the situation I caught a drunk guy puking from his bed and almost unconscious. I caught it right on time to wake him up and force him to use the bathroom. In the meanwhile I had to clean up the best I could in the dark (other people was still sleeping in the dorm) and tried to refresh air by using deodorants and putting a fan. Unfortunately that wasn't enough, because everydoy knows that stink takes much time to go away.

The day after I apologised with everybody for what happend and they all seemed to have understood the situation, as some told me that it was not my fault and simply blame the drunk guy. Actually I didn't help your friend recovering her mobile (I suppose she got offended because of that), but I was cleaning vomit from the dorm floor. Sometimes you have to prioritize.

Anyway it is weird you had no courage to say anything to the real responsible of all that mess, neither informing him about your friend's mobile!

Instead you preferred to pour out your disappointment by writing a negative review. I understand it, we are just humans! You say "stay away from this hostel", but than claim that "a bad experience doesen't make a bad hostel". You say that the hostel is in a dodgy area but then complain about the curfew...

It was an horrible night for you and me, but that doesen't give you the right to write lies. I insist that you should have stayed the following night since we had the time to clean properly and of course accidents don't happen everyday.

Giulio Talamanca
Manena Hostel Manager

Reviewed 19 August 2013

Unfortunatly we couldn't stay at this hostel. We allready had another place to sleep but we saw this on the internet and went there to ask if we could stay there the next night but it was full.
The man who welcomed us was very friendly and funny and helped us finding another place to sleep also not too expensive and more in the centre.
He was very helpfull while we didn't even stay there. He gave us a quick look in the hostel and invited us for the walking tour the next day which was very nice!
The atmosphere in the hostel was great and it looked really nice. We asked for the pubcrawl and he arranged that there would be a pubcrawl the next day so we met a few people from the hostel without staying there. I think this was one of the nicest hostels I've been to.
After we left Genova, my friend found out she left her phone on the hotel where we slept that was around the corner. The lady of the hotel was very unfriendly and didn't want to send the phone. Because we hung around at Manena she decided to ask them to pick it up for her and send it to Holland and they did without a problem!
I would advice everyone to book a room in this hostel but in summer, book in advance! ;)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sandrajah
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We stayed at this hostel in july.
at first we had trouble finding the hostel, as the discription given isn't very precise. but it's loction ist qutie good, everything is within a 15 minute footwalk reach!
we werre welcomed nicely by the staff and could leave our rucksacks, even though we didn't arrive there during the official opening times which was pretty cool!

The Hostel is very clean, the rooms are simple but look nice and the genreal atmosphere there is great! There are many young people and when we visited, we played cards with the other visitiors all night in the common room.

BUT there were cockroachs at night in the bathrooms!! and there was no air condition so it was nearly impossible to sleep (so i wouldn't reccomend going there in summer).

4  Thank Frida F
Reviewed 8 August 2013

A bed, not much support for travelling around the area. You have to leave the hostel some time during the day while they clean and they're unreasonably strict on this. It's quite a hike from the train station. You would also think they would have cheap water and drinks available but it's a total rip off. I'm sure you could find nicer and better.... Oh and there's no air conditioning so you sleep with the window open and camera street noise. And my locker was broken. Kitchen is tiny.

2  Thank rustykiwinz
Manena_Staff, Owner at Manena Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

Dear guest,

I'd like to say that most of our efforts go in the direction to give our customer(s) much more than just a bed and a roof. We're actually pushing the walking tours and pub crawls and, honestly, we're getting excellent responses from it. Apart from this the basic help (city maps, deals, advices) is always garantueed to anybody. I don't know what went wrong during your stay, maybe on high season we're sometimes too busy, but if for example you got a broken locker, I cannot understand why you didn't ask for a substitution!

Concerning the closing time for cleaning, we try to not be "unreasonably strict" by letting people leaving their luggage for free at the reception.
Walking distance from the main train station is correct - please check Google Maps - until you get lost in the old town of course! We changed directions several times and will try to improve it once again.

Last but not least, I don't like to be called a "rip offer" since I never force anybody to buy anything! The closest supermarket is minutes away from us. We only keep some drinks to be sold as extras, so I don't know what rip off you're talking about my dear.

Thanks anyway for your comment.

Giulio Talamanca
Manena Hostel Manager

Reviewed 5 August 2013

Well-organised hostel with friendly staff. I wasn't so much in the mood for socializing those days, but if you do want to socialize it's a perfect hostel. Great location, in the center of everything.
One advise: take a shower early, otherwise you have to wait because there are only 3 or 4 showers and the bathrooms will flood a bit when some people have taken showers

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank NienkeE
Reviewed 31 July 2013

My friends and myself were pleased greatly by the hostel and genoa as a whole, the hostel actually had a really good vibe where there would be large groups of people travelling be it in groups or by themselves and everyone would just sit and talk in the communal areas. The hostel staff were friendly and eager to please, i didnt have the breakfast but it looked nice from what i saw. But the greatest part of this hostel by far in my opinion was the walking tour, he really brought the city to life for me and my friends, so anyone staying here i implore you to give it a whirl, its €5 euro minimum for the 3 hour walking tour, and you get taken all through the city and the guy doing it really brings the place to light.
Also as a side note the best gelateria is about a 3-4 minute walk away run by a young lady called Rosa and it is by far the greatest gelato i have ever had the pleasure to consume.

1  Thank J-c M