“An ok hotel that has seen better days”

Grand Hotel Mediterranee
Ranked #56 of 90 Hotels in Genoa
Reviewed 30 July 2014

The location of the hotel is great for exploring Liguria. Beach across the street, direct bus to Genoa from hotel, and train station 5 minutes walk with connections to Portofino, Monterosso al Mare, Vernazza. The hotel itself could use a face-lift, as the rooms are large but dated. The bathrooms also have the old-school hair dries that take ages and ages to use, so bring your own! Breakfast was ok, but got a little monotonous. Hotel is right next to the beach, but for added comfort there is a private beach, with beach chairs and a pool that hotels guests can use for a reduced charge.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I would NOT stay here again nor would I recommend it!!! The staff are rude, condescending and arrogant! They were not helpful at all!!!

I have spent 12 days backpacking thru northern Italy and this is the worst hotel I've stayed in!

I spent 4 days at the Hotel Castello Miramare across the street. Initially only planning to stay two. When I decided to stay longer, unfortunately they were booked for the 5th night as I flew back to Canada I wanted to stay in the area because it was close to the Genoa airport.

I ended up at the "Grand" hotel Mediterranee and I was unimpressed! I actually walked back to the Hotel Castello for travel advice because the staff there were far more approachable and eager to help. Plain & simple... Happy to help! :)

"Grand" (term I use loosely) Hotel Mediteranee wasn't worth the extra euro! They certainly need to take hospitality and service advice from the smaller and friendly hotel across the street!

Crystal
Toronto, Canada

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank GirlCanadian
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights on business. The hotel was booked by the local agent on behalf of the company and I'm so sure he ripped off my company.
The hotel looks decent from outside and the lobby is fine as well. But that's where the good things end.
The rooms are very gloomy. I didn't wish to enter my room. They are clean. Bathroom is very clean. The towels are very clean. But the rooms are very old. Not enough light. The tiniest TV with just 1 English channel - CNN. I would never want to stay here again.
The restaurant staff were a joke. In the first day I had a shrimp pasta and lemon fish fillet and I really enjoyed the fish. I complemented the waitress and she told me the manager was there as well and I could tell him that. Told the same to the manager and he laughed and told me it's impossible (that the food could be good in that restaurant). I was surprised then.
But I had 3 more meals there and I realised what he meant and he was right.
Breakfast was nothing exceptional. Cereals, milk, bread, jams, butter, ham, boiled egg, coffe. Fill yourself somehow.
I think for the price there definitely would be others.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Anshull
Reviewed 9 January 2014

The worst hotel ever! The rooms are not very clean, you have to pay to enter the swimming pool. The swimming pool itself is the smallest one i have ever seen in a hotel! More payment if you wnat to get a sun bed...and get this!!! Even if you pay, you ARE NOT ALLOWED to stay in the first 3 rows from the sea...they are reserved for big groups....which do not arrive, therefore, they are empty! 2 meters away, you have the free beach...well, this hotel might be on the beach, but in fornt of the so called beach, there is a sign saying BATHING NOT RECOMMANDED, intensly polluted waters!!! Furthermore, the beach is pebbly, it damages your feet!!! I ignored the warning, bathede in the sea( and i want to explain that this is the same sea front younhave tompay for at the pool of the hotel), and got a horrible rash on the skin that lasted all summer...

Rooms small, old, bathrooms not clean.
Breakfast below than avrage, horrible coffee.

Really, avoid at all costs....it's far better to stay in a tent than in this hotel

Room Tip: THERE ARE NO GOOD ROOMS We stayed in their best room.....miserable
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Horheta
Reviewed 5 November 2012

05.11.2012
This hotel looks lovely from the distance,but inside its not so good. The old doors with key,the floor that is old and has a scary sound when you walk. You can hear perfecty the voices from the next room,even if they cof or watch tv,you know in any minute what are they doing.
If you stay in bed,you cannot see at the tv.
The bathroom its ok,also the personal,except the lady that serves in the restaurant,she threats costumers like s..t
Its scary this place,at least at 3rd floor! Maybe other rooms are better.

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank adelina13
Reviewed 12 October 2012

Booked into this place by a local shipping agent, dont think he liked me. Didnt try restaurant but room was awful. Dont get me wrong the room was clean but oh so depressing, Awful decor, peeling wallpaper, cracked ceiling, wonky floor tiles, even my wall mirror looked like it wanted to jump out the window. Being on the "sea" side you did have a view of sorts but oh the noise. Cars and motorbikes flying up and down till late. This is the kind of place you go to when you want voluntary euthanasia, if your not completely certain you will be after staying here.

Room Tip: "Go somewhere else"
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 May 2012

We spent two nights in this wonderful hotel in summertime. In our opinion the staff was extremely friendly, spoke excellent english and the rooms were very large. And the restaurant was just amazing! We have never got such service in Italy before. And the food was mouthwatering!It is true that this hotel is not in the city centre of Genoa but in our opinion that is just an advantage. You can't use your own car in down town, so you can leave it in the hotel's guarded parking lot and take a bus or even better: a waterbus straight to city centre!
Olimme tässä hotellissa kaksi yötä kesällä. Meidän mielestämme henkilökunta oli erittäin ystävällistä (ja me olemme meluisa lapsiperhe), puhui erinomaista englantia ja huoneet olivat todella suuria ja mukavia. Hotelli ei ole Genovan keskustassa mutta keskustaan pääsee bussilla sekä myös vesibussilla. Hieno kokemus joka kruunasi koko Italianlomamme!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family