“Great value”

Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in La Spezia
Manhattan
“Great value”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Hotel is within walking distance from the Train Station in La Spezia, perhaps 20 minutes? We wanted a place to stay so we can visit Cinque Terre, which its farthest town is only a 20 minute train ride away. We also walked to the Harbour as well. Amazing breakfast with fresh homemade cakes amongst a wide selection of other breakfast foods. Breakfast was not included in our room rate, but it was 5 euros in addition. No elevator, so we had to carry our bags up the stairs. Decor simple. TV in room. Bathroom narrow, but quite clean. Good WIFI service. Computer available in lobby for use as well. Very friendly and young staff. Cannot beat the price! They do ask that you pay the night before you check out. Also, you need to leave your keys when you leave the hotel. We did end up with double bed when we requested twin beds, but otherwise quite comfortable.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank RosyJaywalk
HotelBirillo, Direttore at Hotel Birillo, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Hello!
Thank you for sharing your experience with other travellers
Despite some little things, I understood you appreciate your experience
The distance from the train station is about 10/15 minutes, it can seem longer or harder if you have heavy luggage or sometimes people don't take the best way to come, but we're always available to give informations in advance if needed ;)
Wait for you next time

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The awards from TripAdvisor are proudly displayed in the lobby and well deserved. Sara and Domenico do everything to ensure the best possible experience during your stay in La Spezia. The homemade pastries, local specialties plus more traditional breakfast offerings get the day off to an excellent start and La Spezia's public and regional transport system means you can choose to go by boat or train or bus to places like Portovenere, Portofino, Genoa, Lucca, Pisa and Florence. All can be easily reached for a day's excursion. The location of the hotel is so convenient: half way between the train station and the cruiseboat terminal, just 2 blocks from the central daily fresh food/flower market
As for the hotel itself, almost all the rooms have now been renovated so they are bright and welcoming. New windows and airconditioning reduce possible street noise. Some bathrooms are small but everything is cleaned meticulously and any special request complied with happily and in a variety of languages. There is a free computer in the lobby for guest use as well as pretty reliable wifi throughout the hotel. This is one of my favourite travel destinations and I will be back.

Room Tip: most of the rooms now renovated..no lift so first floor has fewest stairs ...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
And we want you back...Leslie, it's so sad without you here and all the little stuff that you had for me evryday.
Thank you for helping me in my job (you're a great guide for tourists, I think you know theese places more than local people), and also thank you for helping me in explaining to people what breakfast was made of ( great excuse to have your second breakfast and one more piece of cake :))) you're amazing
Hope to here you soon
Nelson, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We had a very comfortable stay , the location is great for seeing the Cinque Terre and the Italian Navel Museum. The breakfast was the best we, d had in a hotel of this price range and the staff , especially the receptionist were very helpful.Our room had very recently been updated.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
your words about us, about the breakfast and about what we do, make me really believing that the street we're following is more than right.
Your satisfaction makes us smile
Focsani, Romania
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Sara and Domenico , two excellent hosts! Good location , walking distance of the harbor and the train station, shops and food market close.I communicated to the hotel all our requirements for accommodation and they were considered. Varied breakfast coffee ready for each one , depending on your preference . I received one of two free parking .

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Oh thank you Mariela, what a devotion :)
I was very happy when you thanked me and saw your big smile
I also appreciated how you followed us on facebook, long time before your arrival
That made us feel very special for you
Please visit us again
Port Macquarie, Australia
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Hotel was clean and tidy but very dated. The hotel is in a handy downtown position and easy walk to the train station to catch trains to Cinque Terre. The hostess wS wonderful and always had a smiling face when asked for assistance. Main nag active was the small shower recess. We liked the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014
Hi,
thank you for sharing your experience
Yes it's true the building is not new, and as non-owners we can't do anytihng about that, and yes, most of the bathrooms have small showers but we're doing our best to renovate everything in order to make all the rooms as more comfortable as possible
Mission, Texas
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Our family stayed in this hotel for 1 night before going to Cinque Terre. It med our basic needs. Clean. Great value in a popular area. The receptionist, Sara is just the nicest person, very accommodating, warm, and helpful. I think the hotel can be named after her. The place is located very close to the ferry and train stations. The price of drinks at the bar is very reasonable. Great homemade breakfast. I will definitely recommend this hotel to my family and friends.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank PalanggaTexas
Hiii!
I think I had the funniest experience that night
We were 5 people trying to open a bottle of wine, it seemed we wanted to kill that bottle with the knife,so funny with the other english couple... thank you most of all for your positive attitude, it helps, you don't know how much it's so important to have nice people around you, I have to thank people like you if this job is like a dream
Hugs
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Very clean and organized place, in a great location! I must underline the treatment that me and my aunt received from the receptionist: she is simply amazing! Very polite, generous, courteous and helpful! Next time I come back in La Spezia I will for sure get a place in the Hotel Birillo!
P.s: they have an awesome breakfast for a reasonable price;

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Oh thank you
Thank you but I'm not that great, of course I do my best, but it's also people like you, so simple so nice, so warm hearted, the best people who can reach our heart, and can understand all the efforts that we're making.
People like you can turn a normal hotel experience in a warm, friendly, family expeerience
Please, since you're studying in Italy, come back very soon :)