“Felt like home”
Review of B & B Il Gelsomino

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in La Spezia
B & B Il Gelsomino
Ranked #45 of 139 La Spezia B&B and Inns
Canada
“Felt like home”
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Would highly recommend Walter and Carla's hospitality. We stayed for 3 nights, 2 couples. Rooms were clean and well appointed. Her breakfast were so good, home baking and each morning had a different variety to chose from. We also had an authentic La Spazia fish dinner that she prepared, excellent.
WONDERFUL stay and would certainly, stay again.
You will need a car, the climb up the hill was breath taking as was the view from their home. The pictures on their website were easy to follow but they will also meet you.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SpreeCanada

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed 27 April 2013

We really enjoyed stay at Il Gelsomino B&B last week. Walter and Carla are a delight and were very kind. When we had trouble finding the place (our GPS went out and our printed directions were not clear), Carla drove down to a nearby hotel where we were waiting in our car and had us follow her up to the house. Just to reiterate what others have said, a car is necessary to stay here and good driving skills (especially if you take the wrong road like we did). Since we arrived in the late afternoon, we decided to stay up on the hill rather than return to la Spezia for dinner. Walter recommended a great local restaurant for dinner that was very close. They also helped us plan our quick trip to Cinque Terra. The next morning, while we slept, Carla prepared an early breakfast for us as we had a schedule to keep. We awoke to a beautifully appointed breakfast room, with a sumptuous feat complete with cooked eggs and cheese, breads, jams, two breakfast coffee cakes, fruits, yogurt, juice and coffee (and I'm sure I forgot a few things). We had a delightful stay and I look forward to returning again in the future for an extended visit. By the way, view from their house is fantastic! This place is a gem!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jonathan H
Boise, Idaho, USA
Reviewed 7 August 2012

If it's eating a fantastic meal on a lovely terrace of a lovely home perched 800 feet above the Bay of Poets (Byron, Shelley, Lawrence and Virginia Woolf) you're looking for, then this is the place! Moreover, Carla has to be the best cook in the region--only fitting for the setting. Not only that, Il Gelsomino has comfortable beds, spacious bathrooms and is spotlessly clean. Furthermore, the price is right, coming in at less than $100 per night. This was the second time I stayed at Il Gelsomino, a B&B recommended by Rick Steves. The first time was in 2003 with my brother and sister. This time, my husband and I stayed there four nights in July 2012 when the jasmine was in bloom. We used it as a home base to visit 5 Terre, Pisa and the surrounding area. It could not have been more perfect. Carla and her husband (with his sightseeing insights) did not disappoint. Peggy McMahon, Boise, Idaho

Room Tip: Request the room with the small balcony and view of the bay and surrounding mountains.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank John M
Reviewed 21 July 2012

This review has taken me some days to wright because I find it hard to find enough good words to describe this perfect B&B in La Spezia. Me and my boyfriend stayed with Carla and Walter for three nights from 7th of July to 10th July 2011, and we both loved it. We came by car from Milan (which is 2,5 hour drive).

Why do I give this Il Gelsomino "Excellent"?
- Carla is the best hostess, and Walter is so helpful
- The food is excellent
- The patio where you eat breakfast is nicer then any other Italian restaurant
- The view is fantastic
- The surroundings are beautiful and peaceful
- The rooms and the bathrooms are so nice, and the beds are good
- Fresh towels every day
- The price is the best, we paid 60 euros per night

I second all the nice things said in earlier reviews.

Room Tip: We had the room with the small balcony.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Norway_Bergen1985
Georgetown, Texas
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Il gelsomino is a beautiful house with fantastic views over the city of La Spezia, and it is a short drive into town. The hosts, Carla and Walter, are sweet, kind people, and Carla is an excellent cook. When we arrived mid-afternoon coming straight from the Milan airport and a 20 hour trip from Texas, she insisted on preparing us a beautiful pasta dish served with melon and prosciutto, bread and wine. Breakfast was exceptional as others have noted, and even the "light" breakfast we asked for on our departure was so copious that we took half of it for our lunch. Also our flight was delayed by a day, but the hosts were quite gracious when I called to say we'd be arriving a day late, and they did not ask us to pay for the additional night.

Be sure to copy the directions from the web site. At the time, I didn't know how to save a web site as a PDF on my iPad and I didn't want to print out so many pages to carry with me. Big mistake. We relied instead on printed Google map instructions which were wrong and thus ended up driving around for an hour and a half trying to find the place. Unfortunately we didn't have cell phone service so I couldn't call to ask for help. I'm still not sure how we managed to find it on our own. As complicated as we made it getting there, it was fairly simple to get back and forth to town once Walter showed us the way.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elaine P
Apple Valley, California
Reviewed 27 May 2012

I just got back from Florence this May and made a side trip to La Spezia before my Florence trip. I stayed for three nights at Il Gelsomino in La Spezia and the "real thing" did not disappoint compared to the internet ad. The view from my balcony and from the B&B's main balcony is just amazing. On my first morning, it was a little cloudy but the view was still fantastic. The place is at the top of a hill that is accessed by a winding narrow road. Then you go through a small gate that is bordered on top by cascading jasmines (gelsomino) from which the place got its name. On my second morning, the sun was out in its blazing glory and Carla (the lady of the inn) served breakfast in the main terrace. Oh, what a glorious treat. Breakfast overlooking the valley and the water in the distance amidst chirping birds and feeling the warmth of the morning sun on your face. Carla is an amazing cook. She served omelet on my first breakfast- among other things- and i don't know what glorious spices (from her herb garden) she puts in her omelet but I never knew omelets could taste so good! She serves "toast" (Carla style which to me seemed like an Italian version of grilled ham and cheese), coffee (choice of ristretto or caffe americano-diluted version of the real thing), red orange juice (one of my favorites in Italy), fresh fruits and home baked cake! If you're not a big breakfast eater, you better tell Carla in advance because she just feeds you to the max. She says "you need it because you walk and you go hungry" in her Italian accent English which was music to my ears!
While waiting for my friend to pick me up, I just sat there in the terrace after breakfast and lived "La Dolce Vita" on borrowed time because I was scheduled to go to Florence the following day. TO CARA CARLA, GRAZIE MILLE AND TO HER SHY HUSBAND WALTER, GRAZIE MILLE , ANCHE PER TUTTI. SONO MOLTO FELICE"
Melinda
Southern California
PS. Carla knows Cinque Terre a lot because she worked in one of the main restaurants in Riomaggiore before. So there you have an "insider's tips" when you plan your trip to Cinque Terre.
Since the place is rather secluded, you need to arrange for you own transportation to get to Cinque Terre.

Room Tip: There are only 3 rooms to be had. I had the room with a small balcony which affords a great view. Th...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
San Francisco
Reviewed 30 June 2011

This b/b is a jewel. The place is hard to find at first, but after the first day, it was breeze. The beds are very comfortable and the shower had plenty of hot water. The breakfast was always something to look forward to. Carla and Walter made us feel so at home. We were treated like family. They gave us advise on where to eat, visit the best beaches, shopping, etc. She didn't mind if we came home so late at night from our day trips. I couldn't ask for a better place. Oh and the price? 25 euros per person per night! We had a room with 2 double beds which we shared with our 2 boys. The beds were a queen (maybe even a king) and a large double sofa bed. We will definitely go back if we were in the cinque terre area again.

• Stayed June 2011