“Great location and good value”

Hotel Firenze e Continentale La Spezia
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in La Spezia
Reviewed 5 July 2010

The best part about this hotel is the location. As you walk out of the train station in La Spezia, simply look to your left. Don't worry about noise though, the windows are very insulated. We didn't hear trains, traffic or anything our entire stay.

The hotel is gorgeous. There are several common areas that give you a quiet place to relax. The rooms weren't anything to get excited about, but neither were they bad. The bed was OK, and typical of European hotels. The bathroom was very clean and beautiful. The shower was a little ridiculous. I had to open the shower doors in order to wash my back and lower body. That's pretty typical of European hotels though.

The hotel was very clean and the staff was friendly and knowledgeable. Breakfast was good and plentiful, although it was very crowded if you went later in the morning.

In all, Hotel Firenze was a great place to stay and base of operations for visiting Cinque Terre.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hotel Firenze e Continentale La Spezia

Reviewed 4 July 2010

As people have said, it's just across the road from the train station (for Cinque Terre) and just on the edge of the central city pedestiran mall. The rooms are clean, but quite small, and the included Continental Breakfast was very good.
However, we did find it very noisy at night and didn't sleep very well as a result.
Parking was 8 Euro per night (in the open).

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2010

We were initially worried that the hotel was so close to the train station but we need not have - it was super convenient and an excellent hotel for staying in to explore the cinque terre. it was spotlessly clean, room was big and breakfasts were fantastic. La Spezia is a pleasant town for a couple of nights. Ok its not cinque terre but its also not oozing with tourists either - its quite a young town and there are some decent restaurants which are much cheaper than cinque terre. If you are thinking of exploring the cinque terre, I could not recommend the Firenze e Continentale enough and the proximity to the train station in this instance is a massive bonus

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 June 2010

If you are traveling by car and need a place to park so you can travel to the Cinque Terre towns by train, I would choose this hotel. It's across from the train station and we parked right in front of the hotel. Follow the street signs that direct you to the train station. The area is blocked off for taxis and the hotel only. They do charge E 8 but it was convenient and safe. I wasn't thrilled with the room and I asked for new, clean pillowcases but the room was quiet and the bathroom was clean. The breakfast had all the usual choices but they stop refilling things so go early enough. This is a decent choice for a 2 night stay.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 June 2010

Great location. Walking distance from train station. Gateway to Cinque Terre. Excellent breakfast inc with room charge. Bathroom and shower perfect. Hotel front faces dead end street so only cabs permitted to park there. Our 4th floor room faced the street. No street noise. Would stay again. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 June 2010

We stayed at the Hotel Firenze e Continentale as an unplanned stop during a 3 day backroads tour of Tuscany and Cinque Terre. We paid 130 euros for a double occupancy room (the clerk said it was their last available one). The hotel was located very well for local shopping and dining. The lobby was beautiful and the reception staff were professional, although I wouldn't really call them friendly.
We stayed in room 146, which was spacious and had a beautiful big window which opened out onto the street below.
This room had one major problem, though - its bathroom. Part of the problem was not entirely the hotel's fault but first let's get to the part that is. The shower head was mounted very high on the wall and had extremely low flow. It took me several minutes to get completely wet and to the point where I could even shampoo my hair. The second problem with the bathroom was partially my fault, but a problem nonetheless. I am 5'7 and weigh 230lbs - not trim by any means. The shower was a square where the door opened on the corner of the square and slid open less than the length of my forearm. I had to turn sideways to enter the shower and it was only by the skin of my teeth that I was able to fit inside. Once in the shower, every time I turned around, I turned the water off with whatever part of my body happened to be sticking out (arm, boob, shoulder, whatever). This, combined with the low water flow made my shower a completely terrible experience. Anyone who is any bigger than I am (and like I said, I recognize that's a problem of my own making) would not be able to fit into that shower and heaven help them if they did and then got stuck!

The room had a slightly musty smell, perhaps accounting for why they didn't rent it out until they had no other rooms available

We purchased wireless internet access at the rate of 1 hour for 8 euros. The signal in our room was absolutely terrible and kept dropping out. There was a connector cable in our room but it didn't work either. The front desk receptionist said that the wireless access was for public areas only but we weren't told that until we were checking out.

As is standard with European hotels, breakfast was included in the cost, but don't expect anything fancy. It was bread, yogurt, boiled eggs, and juice.

We were able to park right in front of the hotel but it cost 14 euros.

The hotel itself is nice, but I would not recommend it to friends or family because of the bathroom experience I had.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2010

Spent a night at the Hotel Firenze e Continentale during the last week of May as a launching point for Cinque Terre. We found a reasonable rate online and the Hotel Firenze e Continentale offers a nice, free breakfast. My room was large and comfortable and the staff was pleasant and accommodating. The hotel is situated accross from the train station, making it easy to get to and from the national park, and we didn't have to drag suit cases up and down mountain sides.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends