“Family friendly, close to train for easy access to Cinque Terre”
Review of Hotel Mary

Hotel Mary
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in La Spezia
Reviewed 6 July 2011

On first impression, we were preparing ourselves for a noisy night. The Hotel is nothing flash from the outside and close to the train station, however we were pleasantly surprised with how quiet the location was and we had a lovely view over rooftops to the mountains behind La Spezia. Staff were friendly and, when I had an initial problem accessing the free wifi, they were very helpful. Cinque Terre is less than 10 mins by train. Breakfast was basic but adequate for our needs.

• Stayed: July 2011

Reviewed 12 December 2010

We used Hotel Mary in La Spezia for one night as a jumping off point to visit Cinque Terre for half a day and be able to take off for a long trip to Assisi the next day. It served its purpose because it was across the street from the train station. A buffet breakfast and free WiFi were included in the price. There is an adequate room and bath (dated), nice personnel and a good breakfast.

The owners are very helpful and nice and I'm glad he gave me the train times for Cinque Terre because we never would have been able to plan our travel between the five towns and get the most our of our time since we were only planning to walk one stretch between Riomaggiore and Manarola.

The buffet breakfast was good (I liked it because it included fresh fruit and a boiled egg as well as the usual fare of yogurt, cereal, bread, cheese, croissants, etc.). My husband missed the meat (ham and salami) that he's had at other hotels.

Our room was huge because it had four beds. It is dated but the windows appeared double paned. Unfortunately, that didn't help because we heard a weird high-pitched sound every now and then outside our window which interrupted our sleep. It was off-season so I don't know how noisy it would be in the summer.

If I was coming back here, I'd probably stay in Cinque Terre in the late spring or summer but at this time in November when Cinque Terre was mostly closed for the season, Hotel Mary served our purpose.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2010

I just finished traveling Italy for the past 30 days. Stayed in all 3 star Hotels. This hotel, which claims to be 3 star, is the only nasty, depressing, dirty hotel I stayed in the entire time. I got up to the room to find a very small, very dark dingy hotel room with broken cabinets and a broken shower faucet. The person in the room above was going to the bathroom and it sounded like he was urinating right on the ceiling above the bed. This hotel room looks exactly what you expect to find in a sad suicide movie. Guests were walking around afraid to touch anything. Stay anywhere else. Any good review of this hotel must have been made by the hotel management.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Dan_LVNV
Reviewed 21 September 2010

We arrived in La Spezia and couldnt get accommodation at the last minute for the Cinque terre( Monterosso ) so we decided that as La Spezia itself is a big town we had better look for something there for the night.Sure enough when we came out of the train station the Hotel Mary (which Ill admit doesnt look very plush from the outside) was directly across the road. WE had a lot of heavy luggage and being tired we decided to just pop in and see. We were pleasantly surprised. It wes very neat, clean and tidy inside with airconditioning and en suite. Basic breakfast and friendly staff made it well worthwhile. We also got free internet access there and slept well. In the morning we were then only 15 mins by train from Monterosso. Im usually wary of accommodation that might be low budget and neat train stations but this hotel is definitely a perfectly good family friendly hotel ideal for a short stay en route to the Cinque Terre.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2010

I stayed here for 4 days and this Hotel was so conveniently close to the train station - I was a solo traveller but never felt uncomfortable with the location - close to the train station and the Centre of town. Staff were extremely helpful and friendly. My room was clean and comfortable with double glazed windows to keep out any noice and an air conditioner.

I would highly recommend this Hotel for anyone going to Cinque Terre

Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank BROUGHTYLASS_10
Reviewed 4 July 2010

The personal is friendly and understands english. Rooms are clean, but the furniture is old. There is no bathtub, only a tiny shower.
There is no parking next to the hotel, only street parking is available. The guy at the reception has shown me the free parking area 20 minutes walking distance from the hotel, but there are only about 10 parking spots on this free parking area, so I had to park at night to get a spot. Street parking is another option, but 1) it's difficult to find a free spot 2) you need to pay €0.75 per hour between 8 am and 8 pm every day of your parking.
This hotel has one big MINUS - most of the rooms of this hotel are facing a busy street and a train station, therefore there is much noice in the hotel rooms. My wife could barely sleep in this hotel.
On the other hand, having said that the hotel is next to the train station, it gives you an easy access to 5 Terre villages, which are easily accessible via the train.
If you plan to visit 5 Terre - I would recommend to visit them by train, not by boat. The train will cost you €3.40 on way for 2 adults, while the boat will cost €30. But the from the boat you get a very beautiful view of the 5 Terre.

All in all, you shouldn't book this hotel if
- parking is important for you
- and you want a quite sleep at night
Other than that the hotel is OK.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2010

When you read a review that says that only stay here if it is the last place available (and has soggy cornflakes) you wonder what you are booking. However my experience was far, far better. Yes it is basic: a small til- floored room. But it was clean the bed comfortable (I like a firm bed and it was long enough for my 6'3"), and the bathroom even had a hair dryer. The windows appeared to be new. The location is very convenient ( 5 minutes walk to the station) and the station area seemed fine compared to many cities. The staff were helpful (and stored my gear while I hiked). The breakfast (partly automated from an array of coffee and juice machines) was more than adequate. Don't expect luxury. But for a bed for the night in a clean room in a convenient location at a good price it cant be beat. And the corn flakes were crispy!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo