“Rude reception”

CDH Hotel La Spezia
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in La Spezia
Reviewed 22 March 2013

We booked 2 rooms for 1 night.
They simply said that "it is well known" that there is no parking and they "arranged" parking for us - 500m away from the hotel (heavy rain...) at 30 Euro per night...
The attitude was rude not to say vulgar.
VERY poor breakfast with NO service.

Room Tip: There must be better value for your money...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Daniel_451978

Reviewed 26 February 2013

I stayed at the hotel during a 1-day-trip in the city and I let my business partners chose it for me: without any idea about, I have to say that the place surprise me positively.
Room is clean and comfy, breakfast is acceptable, and location is quite amazing, according to the city disposition and geography: calm but very central, it allows you to avoid to take the car to go around and find some place to eat, you can reach the city-center on foot. It is also close to a market, in which you will find typical food from the region (recommended).
I just warn you about parking (if needed): forget about it, you cannot find any for free after 8:00 pm, so let your car at the hotel parking lot (and salty 15 euros), as well as let home your limo... a 500 will be the best shot to avoid brainy maneuvers there...

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank icemandvd
Reviewed 14 December 2012

Hotel is about a 15 minute walk from the train station, and only 3 minutes to main mall. Breakfast we had was adequate which included the normal continental items. The staff were very friendly, giving us suggestions on what to do which didn't include the Cinque Terre region. We stayed here mainly for Cinque Terre and they were able to provide the train details and a map. It was very convenient for the day visits and also close to restaurants in the evening. The rooms were clean, comfortable and had free WiFi and air conditioning. Overall a great hotel for the stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank CC161
Reviewed 10 November 2012

We walked, with roller bags, from train station - a bit of a struggle, but seems to be the best option. The manageress was most helpful with suggestions for restaurants and things to do.
Hotel was comfortable and good value for money, being handy for visiting Cinqueterre and other coastal attractions. Suggest that a visit to Lerici is very worthwhile - we took a local bus to and from Lerici - the least expensive option. There are a number of restaurants that have affordable menus and really good food. We visited on a market day, with the harbour front occupied by market stalls and affordable eating venues. Lunch of fresh fish at one of the open air restaurants was excellent and inexpensive. We noted one food stall that was selling hot bread rolls with freshly carved roast pig to a long line of customers - unfortunately we had already eaten!
In our opinion Lerici - with it's ancient castle and harbour is probably a better option than the Cinque terre!

Room Tip: We had a non-smoking double room with view over the city. No complaints!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank John j
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Closest place we could find to center city. Very disapointed with parking, The word NONE comes to mind. I people were very nice and helpful know exactly what we were going thru.We were surprised with the breakfast EXCELLENT!!! Sure wish Italy could scramble eggs like USA. Interesting thing also, next store the city has an elevator, yes I said outside elevator, nice touch too. Take you straight down into city center. What the hours of working I think it runs 9 to 9. When you see how far it is downhill to get to centre you'll understand how great the elevator is....enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 November 2012

Staying in this hotel was by far the worst choice made in our trip.

The aircon in our room was broken, so we were sweating the whole night. The telephone in the room was also broken, so we had to go upstairs at midnight to tried to get the aircon fixed (with no success). Breakfast was bizarre. And, to use the hotel's garage, there's an extra charge of $15. The view of my room was the elevator's hall - so I could not open the window or people would see me.
And please, do not expect any "italian charm" here...

Pros:
- clean
- free internet
- size of the room

If it charged something around $70 euros, it would be ok. But it charges $149 which makes no sense at all.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2012

I booked this hotel as I was attending a concert nearby and wanted something that looked safe, clean and comfortable.

Admittedly I had difficulty finding something to book, but My One Hotel had an offer £62 instead of £175... the photo's looked good and the price seemed good in comparison to the other accommodations available in the same price range.

Arriving at the hotel I had difficulty parking, the road leading up to and from the hotel is about a mile long I would think and I couldn't find a single space, it's a one way road so for every journey up there not finding a space I was having to do a 3 mile round trip to get back onto the same road (which is one way).

Eventually I found a space which was pay and display from 8am to 8pm and made my way into the hotel (I had my mum and dog with me) we were greeted by the friendly staff so seemed to all be bilingual.

The Check-in was pretty simple and straight forward.

The hotel lobby looked very minimalist and 'shiny', although it did look nicer in the photo's than in real life not that that should really have much impact on mine or your stay.

I was handed the key card to my room and jumped into the lift/elevator, normally I would check the room number off the paper card simply because I'm trying to do a few things at once and often miss the number when a receptionist says it. Realising the room number wasn't written onto the card in all our fluster with rushing after the parking fiasco and so forth but all was fine we did have the correct room number - the only point here really was that writing the room number on the card would be pretty useful.

The room was quite small but with a large double bed as well as a table with a tv on and enough room to put a laptop, make up etc on, there was also a mini fridge with drinks and a waffer bar in I only found it as we were leaving but didn't notice any price lists for it. The bathroom was clean with a shower and a few useful amenities.

I only had time to put my bags in the room before we needed to go on to the concert venue.

We came back to the hotel around 3am and again had difficulty parking, we ended up having to park in what seemed to be a no park zone. We mentioned this to the guy on reception who told us they have a parking garage which we could use for €15... no one had mentioned this earlier to us but we were happy we could park up without any worry of getting a ticket. We were in the process of sorting it out when he mentioned it would only fit small cars in, we have a large 4X4 so couldn't use the parking facility in the end... The guy on reception was quite helpful however and told us that the car would be fine where it was but we'd need to move it by 8am.

By the time we'd sorted or not sorted the parking out we were pretty tired and went straight to bed. The bed was the most uncomfortable bed I've ever slept in, I try to be fair in my reviews and wanted to say something nice about the bed but honestly I couldn't... it was like sleeping on a hard table with a sheet on top and to add to that the bathroom seemed to have some stale water in it which would waft over the room every so often smelling of something best described as 'really bad breath'.

So between the hard bed, stench and not to mention the thin top sheet I probably had about 3-4 hours of broken sleep.

Overall I'm not sure how to sum up this review, I was only here for a concert and providing I have a safe roof over my head I'm generally happy but I will just say this the staff were very friendly and can't really be faulted, unfortunately the bed was so uncomfortable that I can't even fathom the idea of anyone paying the full £175 to stay here.

I would say stay here if there's a good price offer but really anything above £60 right now I don't think would be worth it.

*We didn't go out in the town area itself but it seemed to be well located

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family