“Pathetic food, indifferent service”
Review of Da U Mariu Di Denaro - CLOSED

Da U Mariu Di Denaro
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Had dinner there with my wife a couple of weeks ago; chose the place for its location which was wonderful - right by the sea, with excellent view of the yachts and the village. However, everything else was quite disappointing. I've had a seafood salad (which turned out to be plain old boiled frutti di mare, practically tasteless), and grilled sole (which came with damp boiled potatoes and tasted like pure polyester). My wife (who is a vegetarian) had grilled vegetables for starter (again, tasteless) and some sort of pasta which was so unremarkable, she can't even recall now what sort of sauce it came with. The service wasn't exactly bad, but it wasn't especially friendly or attentive either. And the bill was in excess of 100 euros. The wine was quite decent though - a good Chianti, which (coupled with the location) I guess raises the overall rating from one star to two. But on the whole it was one of the worst meals of the whole holiday.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

This is one you should AVOID unless you don't mind being ripped off. I know it's a tourist hotspot BUT €20 for 2 coffee and a coke is beyond a joke.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

We went to this restaurant after an impromptu visit to portofino, hence we hadn't booked a better restaurant and not surprisingly they were all full.

The food we ordered was reasonable but the portion size was ridiculous, the grilled prawn main consisted of 6 small king prawns, and only that, yet the price was over 24Euro. The grilled sea bream was nicely cooked, but again side dishes were extra and the portion was tiny.

While I appreciate this is portofino, this restaurant priced itself the same as the better restaurants but was severely lacking in quality. This was by far the worst meal I have ever had in Italy, combined with the price, I would never return and would not recommend at all. If you get stuck for dinner then I would suggest a takeaway pizza.

Reviewed 8 June 2013 via mobile

We went to this restaurant as it was getting late in the afternoon for lunch and many of the restaurants with better menues were closing. First, to the good, the outside dining area is on the marina and the prices for the food were reasonable. That's about it on the good side. To the bad, my wife and I both had the spaghetti con vongole and it was tasteless. The spaghetti seemed to be the cheapest out of the box from the grocery store and the only positive attribute I can give it was that the parsley seemed fresh. Fresher than the vongole for sure. The bread was also from the bargain bin at the local grocery. Every bottle of wine was €24 and probably cost €1.65 at the local grocery. I wouldn't have minded paying €40 for a bottle that cost at least €5 at the local grocery, but nothing that fancy was available.
To add to our enjoyment, the waiter got into a loud argument with a patron that wanted to use the WC as the waiter was trying to close the restaurant. OK, so maybe that actually did provide some enjoyment as it's not every day that you get to witness a Spaniard and an Italian match wits in English, but it seemed to tilt somewhat to the bad side of customer service.
The restaurant has a €3 per person cover, not bad, and a surprise 10% gratuity tacked on. I'm not sure what warranted the tip charge, but at that point I was happy to pay and move on.

Reviewed 9 October 2012

this was our fault for going for the cheapest restaurant on the harbour, the food was basic and there wasn't one italien eating there. The view was great, but the service as basic as the food.