Decided to spend 2 nights here for our wedding anniversary. The hotel has 2 locations. Both where available at the same exorbitant price. Decided to stay at Splendido Mare which is located on the piazza right on the harbour. Thought this would be nicer than having to use shuttle buses from the main hotel so we could wander around and sit and eat beside the harbour at night. This may have been a mistake as the main building may have better rooms.
Our room was nice with a small balcony looking on the piazza and harbour which was a bonus.
The room was small. The decor was tasteful but didn't blow me away. It looked to me a little tired. Bed and linen was first class. Bathroom was small but had those fluffy towels and all the other things that one expects from a good hotel. TV was tiny and looked awkward how it was placed in the room.
Reception area, bar and restaurant nice. We ate one night at the main hotel on the terrace and the food was very good and the service exceptional. The breakfast was a little disappointing. Bread selection poor and the toast on both days was hard as a rock. Eggs asked for soft and got hard. Tea was luke warm. One waiter must have had a bad nights sleep as he was especially grumpy and really quite unhelpful.
Overall the service was very good and can't be faulted.
It is also an exceptionally beautiful town.
Bottom line though for the money spent would I go back.
No. Didn't blow me away.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perched on a hillside over Portofino, Belmond Hotel Splendido is surrounded by fragrant pine trees and peaceful olive groves. Belmond Splendido Mare is a little bit closer to the action, being right on the world-famous Piazzetta. A continuous complementary shuttle service is offered between Belmond Hotel Splendido and Belmond Splendido Mare. Belmond Hotel Splendido - Set in four acres of romantic tropical gardens with superb palm trees, Belmond Hotel Splendido overlooks the bay of Portofino. It boasts 67 guest rooms including 1 single room, 23 double rooms, 31 junior suites and 12 suites. Most rooms have balcony or terrace offering views of the Bay of Portofino. Guests can relax by the heated salt-water pool or at the wellness centre, enjoy a game of tennis at the tennis court or explore the gulf with a private boat, while children have fun at the dedicated Kids’ Club. La Terrazza Restaurant serves delicious Ligurian specialties with a view over the Gulf of Portofino, while the Pool Restaurant is perfect for an informal buffet-style lunch, snacks or a pizza. The Cocktail & Piano Bar offers aperitifs, after-dinner cocktails and live piano music every evening. Belmond Splendido Mare - Belmond Splendido Mare has 16 rooms including 10 double rooms, 4 junior suites and 2 suites, all elegantly decorated and furnished. Most have balconies with superb views of the harbour and the village. Dining at the Chuflay Restaurant, bordering the Piazzetta, is a true Dolce Vita experience. Belmond Splendido Mare shares all the facilities with Belmond Hotel Splendido. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TravelUp, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Ebookers, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Belmond Hotel Splendido reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Splendido Hotel Portofino
- Splendido Resort Portofino
- Hotel Splendido Portofino