“Not blown away”

Belmond Hotel Splendido
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Portofino
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Decided to spend 2 nights here for our wedding anniversary. The hotel has 2 locations. Both where available at the same exorbitant price. Decided to stay at Splendido Mare which is located on the piazza right on the harbour. Thought this would be nicer than having to use shuttle buses from the main hotel so we could wander around and sit and eat beside the harbour at night. This may have been a mistake as the main building may have better rooms.
Our room was nice with a small balcony looking on the piazza and harbour which was a bonus.
The room was small. The decor was tasteful but didn't blow me away. It looked to me a little tired. Bed and linen was first class. Bathroom was small but had those fluffy towels and all the other things that one expects from a good hotel. TV was tiny and looked awkward how it was placed in the room.
Reception area, bar and restaurant nice. We ate one night at the main hotel on the terrace and the food was very good and the service exceptional. The breakfast was a little disappointing. Bread selection poor and the toast on both days was hard as a rock. Eggs asked for soft and got hard. Tea was luke warm. One waiter must have had a bad nights sleep as he was especially grumpy and really quite unhelpful.
Overall the service was very good and can't be faulted.
It is also an exceptionally beautiful town.
Bottom line though for the money spent would I go back.
No. Didn't blow me away.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank thirstytraveller5
DeMegni, Direttore generale at Belmond Hotel Splendido, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2012

Dear Madame/Sir,

First of all let me thank you for taking time and trouble to comment on your stay at Hotel Splendido Mare, sharing your comments with the TA community, eventhough very sorry to learn you experienced some inconveniences with the breakfast service during your stay.

Attention to detail and personalised service are the foundations on which we have built, throughout the years, the success of the Splendido & Splendido Mare and, more generally speaking, of all our hotels world-wide.

I have therefore taken very seriously every point of your comment, I am sorry that at this stage I can only ask you to accept my sincere apologies, if I would have known during your stay I could have been able to do effectively something.

In any case I hope you will trust us again and I look forward to welcoming you back in a next future,

Ermes De Megni
Hotel Splendido & Splendido Mare
Portofino
edemegni@splendido.net

Reviewed 12 July 2012

My husband and I were very lucky to be given two nights at the Splendido by a very generous friend. The hotel is very special. The room was fabulous and the bathroom and complimentary toiletries were even better. The view from our balcony was spectacular. The staff were very friendly and attentive. Breakfast on the terrace surpassed our expectations, as did the room service breakfast. I really enjoyed my stay in Portofino and would love to return, but unfortunately I don't think I will be able to afford to go again. It will remain a treasured memory.

Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cat69Ireland
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Spent three days, with six members of my family, at the lovely Splendido Mare Hotel in early July. Absolutely wonderful experience! The hotel staff in the Mare property were outstanding. Superb service and food in their Chulflay Bar restaurant. Every evening a special event !! One of a kind location, like living in the village.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the sea, with balcony's, are the best.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Dudley H
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Splendido is a sensational hotel. Service is so attentive. Food is outstanding with charming waiters. Everything is excellent.

Room Tip: top floor is the best
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MollieArchie
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Went to the Hotel Splendido for 4 nights and it was absolutely wonderful. The staff, food, wines and facilities were excellent

If you want a long weekend away this hotel is highly recommended.

Room Tip: choose a room looking down the hills its maginificent.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Ermes De Megni and his team are by far the best team in the hotel business! I stay everywhere and this is the best. The food, the views, the bed sheets, the soap and towels and the pianist not to mention the service, the room service, the room decor and the pool. I love The Splendido. A beautiful hotel, memorable surroundings and a weekend I will never ever forget. A secret is The Chouflay and the superb walks. Thank you to all and in particular EVERYONE!!!

Room Tip: 222 that's the one!!!!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2012 via mobile

Honestly have to say I was disappointed with the hotel having heard so much. The room was dirty-cobwebs etc and not worth the price. Loved the terrace and the service but couldn't stay in the room for the price, so left for Villa d'Este on Como which I loved.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank hitch78
Management response:Responded 6 July 2012

Dear Sir,

First of all let me thank you for taking time and trouble to share your comments with the TA community. I am indeed very sorry to hear you were disappointed with your accommodation. I perfectly remember your complaint, and as soon as you shared with us your dissatisfaction, we apologized and showed you two alternative rooms, that you refused.

Attention to detail and personalised service are the foundations on which we have built, troughout the years, the success of the Splendido and, more generally speaking, of all our Hotels world-wide.

I have therefore taken very seriously every point of your compalint and it is certainly thanks to the comments and suggestions of our Guests, no matter whether positive or negative, that we can improve our service and facilities.

I hope you will trust us again in the future, of course we will be more than happy to welcoming you.

Best regards,

Ermes De Megni
Hotel Splendido & Splendido Mare
Portofino

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portofino
Hotel Piccolo Portofino
Excelsior Palace Hotel
Eight Hotel Paraggi
Eight Hotel Paraggi
#1 of 1 in Paraggi

Been to Belmond Hotel Splendido? Share your experiences!