“A perfect memory”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Portofino
Jersey, United Kingdom
“A perfect memory”
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

I am very late in posting my review so apologies but have just been looking through the photographs of our wonderful stay here and remembered I still needed to do this.
We stayed for ten days in June of last year to celebrate our wedding and honeymoon, following a visit for our first holiday together a few years earlier when we fell in love with Portofino and the Hotel Splendido. Our room was upgraded to a beautiful suite with a terrace and sea view and I can honestly say that everything was perfect for us from the moment we checked in to the moment we (very sadly) departed - so much so I was actually in tears as we drove away down the winding path to the village! This hotel has a slightly faded but still beautiful old world charm and glamour - if you want ultra luxe and modern this hotel is not for you but the rooms are very pretty and well equipped with everything you could need and the huge bed was amongst the most comfortable I have slept in. AND you get to wake up with the sunshine streaming through the shutters to the gorgeous sound of the songbirds resident in the surrounding cypress tress. The location is second to none and the staff are friendly and attentive and really cannot do enough for you. Our parents were guests for a shorter time at the sister hotel in the harbour, the Splendido Mare, and were equally well looked after.
The hotel is very expensive in every regard but we knew this before we visited and so should you - I think you need to make a decision to accept that if you stay here and then sit back and enjoy it!
Dinner at La Terrazza outside on the terrace if weather permits is a must and the sublime Ligurian speciality of linguini with pesto, potatoes and green beans is unforgettable - I simply cannot recreate it despite my best efforts!
I cannot think of anywhere we would rather have celebrated our wedding and honeymoon and special thanks go to Carlo Lazzeri and his team for helping to make our day so perfect - we very much hope to be able to return soon to this magical location and to stay at this wonderful hotel.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Susan T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We stayed 3 nites at this hotel which we booked thru amex . I should have known there would be problems when we wear first told we would have half board in the reservation and then my travel agent said the hotel said that would not be the case ! I thought perhaps that would change when we arrived but it wasn't. We had a lovely room with a balcony in the lower hotel I asked about the splendido boat being available for guests and was told to take a water taxi and was told to take the local train if I wanted a tour of the cinque terre. We had taken the train from menton so had already done that ! Breakfast was included on the terrace which was lovely. Restaurants were recommended which were very good . Have stayed in many fabulous hotels and must say this one was underwhelming especially given the high cost!

Room Tip: I don't know in this instance !
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vacheresse_11
DeMegni, General Manager at Belmond Hotel Splendido, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Traveller,

First of all I would like to thank you for your review and for having shared your comments with the TA community.

Since you are reffering to a stay during the month of July 2013 it's quite difficult to understand what could have happened.
Anyhow , as a general information, we usually sell a stay at the Splendido main building on half board basis, while at the Splendido Mare , located in the main Piazzetta of Portofino, on a Bed & Breakfast basis.

This for a very simple reason: guest staying in the village prefer to be ''free'' to taste all Restaurants and Trattoria available in town.

Concerning the taxi boat, of course at this stage I can just guess, probably our Chris & Craft boat on the day you decided to visit the Cinque Terre was already taken, and our Concierge offered you an alternative.

I am really sorry that during your stay or at the check out yyou have not mentioned to our Front desk your discomfort, we could have been able to do something , now I can just apologise if your stay did not meet your epectations.

I hope anthow you will trust us again and visit us in a not too distant future.

Best regards

Ermes De Megni
Coral Gables, Florida
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We really enjoyed this hotel and its service...even the breakfast was terrific.

I don't think I would stay more than two nights in Portofino.

the proximity to the Cinco Tiere is very important too, very nice place

Room Tip: use AMX platinum to get spa credits
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Carlos F
Reno, NV
Reviewed 20 January 2014

The Splendido is everything you ever wanted in a hotel and all it should be. The building is sited in a place that no one in their right mind would build a hotel, yet it is the most pleasing site I have ever experienced. The staff virtually ignores you - till you need something and then you realize they have been there all along. The room we had was far from looking fabulous, yet it had everything we wanted or needed and a view that mesmerized me. It has casual elegance that I honestly thought was lost, but now I know where to find it. We ate both on the terrace and at Splendido Mare and were most pleased with both. All I can advise is go - just go. Forget the budget, don't even ask what it costs, but I can assure you it is worth everything you pay.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room here.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Macsog6
Bawtry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2014

wow! what a truly beautiful hotel in an amazing location. We spent our 20th wedding anniversary here and we were well looked after. The terrace restaurant was tremendous and the bar staff seemed to have been there for years and they knew their stuff. Room was beautiful overlooking the bay and the short walk into the town was well worth it. Quite expensive so only a place to go on special occasions (unless you are loaded!) We will go back at some point when we've saved up again...

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AndySING73
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We hadn't stayed here for several years since our children were born but it remains the benchmark in service and quality. My fears prior to arriving that standards would have slipped somehow over the years wee completely unfounded and blown away within a few minutes of arriving with the numerous 'welcome home' we received as many of the staff remain the same.

The rooms are not overly modern but are very comfortable - the beds are the best I have ever slept in.

The food remains divine and whilst the terrace bar is a great place to start the evening the main bar a fantastic place to end it!

The hotel now also has a great kids club staffed by the wonderful Terri, our kids were so sad to leave after our short few days there!

I would still take 3 days here over a week in nearly any other 5 star hotel in Europe!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
houston, tx
Reviewed 9 December 2013

It's the service that makes the difference, from your luggage being whisked away effortlessly, to the waiter remembering your name and preferences after meeting you once. This hotel is not for the budget conscious. However, having said that, we were delightfully surprised when we checked in that we had half board (breakfast and lunch or breakfast and dinner) included. The rooms are sparse, but well appointed. The balcony was small, but in October it was rainy and cool. The food at Hotel Splendido was fantastic, and the selection was varied and excellent. They also were very willing to accommodate if you wanted an item not on the menu. However, our one meal at Splendido Mare was not as good, either the food or the service, so we ate quickly and quickly headed back to the main hotel.
While campy, the piano player was extremely entertaining and did flatter the ladies. It was fun, entertaining and delightfully carefree, as I even danced with one of the waiters.
A good hotel for women travelers.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ROmom
DeMegni, Direttore generale at Belmond Hotel Splendido, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear Traveller,

First of all let me thank you for taking trouble to comment your recent stay at Hotel Splendido.
It is through the comments and suggestions of our Guests, no matter whether positive or negative, that we can improve service and facilities.

You highlighted that your meal at our Restaurant ''Chuflay Bar'' did not meet your expectations. Most unfortunately I have no opportunity to understand now what could have happened with the info you provided, in case you wish, you can of course contact us giving more details, we are at your entire disposal for any additional question you may have.

Best regards,

Ermes De Megni
Hotel Splendido & Splendido Mare
Portofino
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portofino
Eight Hotel Portofino
Hotel Eden
#5 of 5 in Portofino
Eight Hotel Paraggi
#1 of 1 in Paraggi

Been to Belmond Hotel Splendido? Share your experiences!