“virtually perfect”

Belmond Hotel Splendido
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Portofino
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My stay was virtually perfect. We stayed in a suite with a terrace overlooking the marina in the Splendido Mare. Every our request was complied with and the one hick up at breakfast service (the waiters in the restaurant got every single order at one breakfast we had wrong) was made up to us by striking the parking fees off our bill.

The restaurant at Mare is quite good but also quite expensive. The restaurant in Splendido proper (on the hill) felt like a better value for money. Overall - very much worth a visit. Will be back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Georgy D

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Based on history, reputation and reviews, we arrived at the Hotel Splendido with high expectations. Although it is not perfect, the setting is spectacular and the service is remarkable. The service rivals that of Il San Pietro in Positano (other favorite retreat in Italy and better rooms), Villa & Palazzo Aminta in Stressa and Villa Serbelloni in Bellagio. We stayed three nights at Hotel Splendido and one night at the Splendido Mare because we wanted to experience each from every aspect.

Hotel Splendido
At the Splendido we had a room with a terrace overlooking the bay, which is a must. Otherwise, the no-frills room itself is small but adequate and comfortable. The corridors probably have not changed much since 1901. I suppose that is just part of the charm and character. A fresh coat of paint would be nice. Dinning on the terrace (La Terrazza restaurant) overlooking the bay was one of the highlights and we thought the food was fresh, flavorful and well presented. We especially enjoyed the beautiful gardens and tranquility of the Splendido. The piano music by Vladimir and singing by Antonio Beccalli at the Splendido cocktail bar each evening after dinner was a perfect way to end the day and mingle with other guests (mostly couples of varied ages). Other reviewers thought it was cheesy. However, we enjoyed the ambiance reminiscent of a bygone era and characteristic of the Splendido. As many other reviewers have indicated, the Splendido is ridiculously expensive. The mark-up on wine and liquor is unreal. We paid more for an after dinner drink at the Splendido than in Monaco.

Splendido Mare
Subsequently, we spent our last night in Portofino at the Splendido Mare in a village view room without a terrace. Again, the room was adequate and, ironically, the bathroom was more comfortable than the one in the Splendido main building. All our belongings were seamlessly transferred which enabled us to enjoy our day uninterrupted. We enjoyed breakfast and dinner at the Chuflay restaurant on the Piazzetta which offers a different vibe than La Terrazza. We also enjoyed the piano player and singer at the Chuflay restaurant during dinner. The Splendido Mare accommodation rates may be less, but everything else is on par with the Splendido.

When we required transportation we opted for the Splendido private luxury car which actually costs a bit less than a public taxi and is much more pleasant.

Overall, what really made our stay special was: 1) the professionalism and efficiency of the entire staff; 2) the quintessential warm Italian hospitality; and 3) the unique setting. We are pleased that we elected to experience both the Hotel Splendido and Splendido Mare with their respective character.

Thank you Splendido and Splendido Mare for another amazing experience in Italy!

Room Tip: Balcony/terrace overlooking the bay!!
4  Thank CreativeExplorations
Reviewed 30 July 2014

You get easily fooled by the magic of the location when you arrive on a sunny day, if you come for the first time you will surely get one of the worst rooms , just in front of the parking Lot and under the tennis court., same in the restaurant. Once you are known by the staff they treat you better, if they are busy they might serve you cold food , service is inconsistent and easily forgets your requests, breakfast in the room, prepare car for trip, reserve a restaurant in another town, etc, if you look for a romantic moment be aware there might be many business meetings and weddings that get priority . The rooms are small for the price and equipment is rather old, my wife almost got an electro shock when she used her dryer. Yes it is a magic place but not 5 star.

Room Tip: Main building upper floor ,
2  Thank Klaus F
DeMegni, General Manager at Belmond Hotel Splendido, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear Nicolas,

We would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for your vacation and it was a pleasure to have you as our guest. We just received your feedback through TripAdvisor and we are really sorry to learn that your experience did not completely meet your expectations.

I carefully read your comments about the staff, the service and the food and I thank you very much for having shared your impressions with us, as either positive or negative they are, the guests' feedback are a constant spur to improve our service.

As a matter of fact, we aim at spoiling our guests with an incredible 360° view over the sea , the warm and elegant atmosphere , the friendly and professional service combined with our tasty, traditional cuisine, for which we receive very positive feedbacks; therefore I am really surprised and extremely sorry if we did not meet what your expectations were.

I kindly inform you that all our rooms are different in size, style & décor. The Standard Rooms have a room size which starts from 25 m2. Regarding your electrical problem in your Room, after an investigation with our Maintenance team, it seems that you used your personal hair dryer and we recommend our guests to use our devices, because they are well approved for safety and are able to bear up to 220 W. Since it's a situation belonging to the past, I can only ask you to accept once again my sincere apologies and I really hope to welcome you again , as my personal guest , to let you experience a faultless visit.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 29 July 2014

My partner and I recently spent two nights at this hotel (the Main Building on the hill overlooking the harbor). The property and the views are beautiful.

First thing, we stayed during peak time and the hotel was practically full (no upgrade available through the Amex program). We booked the least expensive room category available at the time which was a double sea facing room with balcony. 1500 euros/night plus tax. We expected this to be an expensive hotel, so that's a given.

However, when we were shown our room, it was more or less a 10ft x 10ft room with one king bed, two night tables and a small desk. The "balcony" was a Juliet style balcony with just enough room to stand out on. I didn't even look at the bathroom. I politely expressed my disappointment and asked if we could be given another room. The receptionist, who was very warm and welcoming, asked us to wait a moment while she checked the inventory. She came back up a few minutes later and showed us another room on a lower floor with a tiny alcove attached to it and a more sizable terrace with table and chairs. The room was still smaller than I expected for the price, but we graciously accepted. The bathroom was certainly smaller than I expected. One sink, one tub and a toilet and bidet behind the door (if you were sitting on the toilet, the door would hit your knees when open). The room and fixtures were dated (historically charming to be polite). Nothing wrong with that, except when you consider the price.

Rather than trying to rationalize the price, we were determined to have a good time; and we did. The staff is warm and welcoming, the food is wonderful and the views are beautiful. Many of the senior staff have been with the hotel for over a decade and you can tell that they are friendly with the regulars (which the hotel has a lot of). Our room included breakfast and half board (we didn't know about the half board until our second night, so definitely ask about this if you're not sure).

By our second night, we got to know some of the staff well enough and we could certainly understand why some guests choose to come back here often. Maina, the restaurant manager, was wonderful. Vlad, the piano player was entertaining (before and after dinner). Johanna, the receptionist, was very warm and welcoming. The concierge staff were all helpful. Everyone was a delight. I will note that one can get the impression that regulars are given special preference, and there were some incidents that bothered us (such as reserved seating for some hotel guests over others), but overall, we took it in stride (and by the second night, we almost felt like regulars too....not quite, but perhaps with a few more visits).

So why the three stars? I'm torn. I can understand why some may be disappointed by this hotel. I know of a couple who checked in and checked out immediately after being shown their room, because they could not get their heads around the price charged for the room. Mind you, anyone considering this hotel will likely be well travelled and comfortable spending the money, so it's not simply the cost per se. It's just that you have to be aware that you're paying for an experience (it's not just about the room). If you're only used to staying at hotels like the Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental or the Ritz Carlton, where you can be pretty confident that the rooms and property, while expensive, will be luxurious and match your expectations, you may be disappointed by the Splendido. It all depends on your expectations and travel experience. My partner and I did enjoy our experience at the Splendido, but I'm not sure I would recommend it to everyone, and I'm not quite sure I'm ready to say I would do this again anytime soon. This doesn't negate all of the glowing 5 star ratings; I just hope it adds some context.

I don't fault the hotel for the prices they charge. There's enough demand for a limited supply, but I do believe the hotel will need to make renovations at some point if they want to attract a newer generation of regulars to this beautiful and storied property.

Portofino is a charming town and there are plenty of hiking trails in the area. The yachts in the harbor below are beautiful (my partner and I daydreamed out loud about being invited onboard).

I do want to add one quick note about the sister property (Mare) which is located right at the base of Portofino where the harbor meets the plaza. We didn't stay here and only quickly toured the property and also looked at a few of the rooms, so take this for what it's worth. While this property is less expensive than the main building, I would much rather splurge on the main building than stay at the Mare. Otherwise, you might as well book any other hotel in the area and simply have drinks and dinner at the main building.

8  Thank psamtani

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for your vacation and it was a pleasure to have you as our guest. We just received your feedback through TripAdvisor and we are really sorry to learn that you did not enjoy the stay with us to the fullest.

We would like to inform you that good note has been taken regarding your comments of the room and the bath and we do apologise about the inconveniences. I kindly inform you that, as per Amex FH Program, the upgrade is not guaranteed and of course is depending on availability at guests’arrival. Probably due to our high occupancy at the Hotel, we were not able to upgrade your room.
I kindly inform you that all our rooms are different in style, size and décor. And I kindly inform you that each winter we make renovations and refurbishments of rooms, on each floor. We are going to make new renovations also next winter.

We apologise once more for the inconveniences that this may have caused and we wish you to know that we are actively working to improve our service levels and your feedback has proved to be invaluable.

We are furthermore glad to learn that you overall you appreciated the kindness and professionalism of the Hotel staff and we are happy to extend your comments to them.

We hope to have the possibility to welcome you again in the very near future and are delighted to remain at your personal disposal for any assistance you may require.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 28 July 2014

There are 2 properties called Splendido: One 15min on foot from the harbor and one right in the center of "what's happening", called the Splendido Mare, where I stayed.

Service: you cannot expect better!!!! Every single person here is focused on making your stay the best stay ever! From getting me an ice-pack for a sprained ankle, to making reservations, finding the right hiking maps and even locating a back pack (I had forgotten mine), these people truly make your stay very enjoyable.

Location: Cannot do better: right on the plazzietta (small plaza), in front of the fishing boats and the huge yachts as well.

Room: #511 was totally remodeled in May 2014. It offers a nice patio overlooking the harbor. Large and well organized with a cool safe hidden behind a painting. Mattress is very comfortable. Expresso machine. Desk + small round table. High speed internet is complimentary. Small sofa. Electric outlets are plenty. Room is very quiet AFTER the night pianist is done (he has an amazing voice though and will play your requests if you ask :)

Bathroom: 1 nice shower with rain shower and a hand-held shower. Large bathtub (a real one, not the very shallow ones you find in the US). Amenities from Bulgari. Efficient hair drier. Plenty of drawers and hangers.

Will definitely stay at this one again.

Ps: went to visit the sister properties. Did not like it. Too big. Not boutique enough. Service was not as food as at Mare. Pool is salted water!!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room to not hear the pianist too late should you want to go to bed at 9 pm :)
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We have been visiting the hotel on and off for the last 12 years, most recently last week. The hotel continues to set the standard for service, across every aspect of what they do.

The restaurant staff are brilliant in both La Terrazza and the poolside bar, and the food in both is simply fantastic. (a top notch kids menu too!) The pool staff are also very attentive and the bar staff make sure the day ends as wonderfully as it begins.

We stayed in a suite this time (room 115) which was very spacious and comfortable - the beds are still some of the best I have ever slept in! WIFI is available though out the hotel and we even got a decent reception by the pool. Our 9 year old kids were with us and thought the kids club was brilliant.

Yes it is expensive but you definitely get what you pay for in this instance as the staff really do try to make your stay restful, happy and memorable!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
DeMegni, General Manager at Belmond Hotel Splendido, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Sirs,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking your time to share your review on Tripadvisor.

I am so delighted to read all your words full of praise for our Hotel and it makes me happy to hear that were able to make your stay an unforgettable experience.

My staff and I would love to welcome you back soon to Portofino!

Best regards

Belmond Hotel Splendido & Splendido MAre

Reviewed 27 July 2014

if you are looking for ambiance, comfort, good service and great food, Hotel Spendido Mare is the place to stay. The service and the staff are impeccable. My husband and I have traveled extensively and would rate this experience at the very top. Portofino needs to be on everyones 'Bucket List'

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Steven & Michael,

Greetings from Portofino and thank you for your recent post on TripAdvisor, it was a pleasure to have you with us and I am delighted to read that your stay has been a memorable experience in our lovely Property Splendido Mare.
Thank you to put Portofino on everyones 'Bucket List' and we do look forwad to welcoming you back with us very soon.

With my very best wishes,

Belmond Hotel Splendido & Splendido Mare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portofino
Hotel Piccolo Portofino
Excelsior Palace Hotel
Albergo Nazionale
Albergo Nazionale
#4 of 5 in Portofino

Been to Belmond Hotel Splendido? Share your experiences!